Gogglebox Australia

Absolutely right. The reality show reviews are also brilliant because these are often so bad.

2 Likes

While I agree that the reality show/classic movie segments can be absolute classics (many of the best Gogglebox segments are reviews of the worst programs on TV!), I think Gogglebox needs to cut back on them just a little bit because you can have too much of a good thing!

With respect to news bulletins, many of the previous episodes have been more about responding to a news story being covered rather than the program, at least in the more recent series. Sometimes, with ACA for example, there is an element of commentary on the show but the use of The Project, Insight and Charlie Pickering’s show have been a good way to get reactions to a news story without having to watch a news bulletin. In an early series the producers had some families watch a Nine News bulletin to respond to a current event but of course the bulletin would be different for each city so it seemed somehow fake.

Keeping the shows to prime time (except AFL finals) adds an element of authenticity, so that to most viewers (MS forum members excluded) it looks like a household watching their usual evening TV with even the establishing shots all night-time.

4 Likes

Guess who I just saw at the Mornington market selling plants? Anastasia, I nearly freaked out.

2 Likes

I disagree. Some of the random reality shows on Foxtel get the best reactions. Plus they have to cover the key reality shows on commercial TV as it’s what people are watching so more representative of what everyday people watch on TV.

I don’t agree with this as I find when they do sit and watch the odd news story their reactions to be quite fake, as clearly the big stories they would have already seen/heard about it prior to recording them watching it for Gogglebox.

Selling plants? I thought she sold nuts. I know she does that at the Mulgrave Farmers Market on Sundays.

It’s bizarre seeing them out and about doing normal things but you kind of forget they are just normal people. I’ve spotted a number of them around Melbourne. The chubby gay guy used to always be smoking outside one of the buildings near QV and also both of them were at Margaret Cho show in Melbourne late last year just waiting in the foyer. I saw the mother of that Toorak family (With the two girls) working at the travel expo once and one of Adam and Symon on a train at Southern Cross. Please note I am not a stalker haha.

5 Likes

Wow are any of the cast not from Melbourne?

Nine News’ 2012 NSW Budget Report family and current Goggleboxers The Jacksons are from Western Sydney.

Other Sydney-residing Gogglebox households include Angie & Yvie, Mick & Di, The Delpechitras and from the 2015 seasons (since departed), the Kidd Family. Possibly one or two others I may have missed.

2 Likes

Thanks. I hope they add future cast members from other locations.

Although I’m not as likely to watch Googlebox in the future with the local Ten affiliate’s huge solid logo insanity now extending to the repeat on 11. Frustratingly tenplay doesn’t have the full programme.

2 Likes

For regional viewers with Pay TV, I’d imagine that Lifestyle’s run of the show (approximately) 25 hours earlier would be popular as well.

And I agree that it would be good to see future cast members from other locations of Australia! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great moment during tonight’s episode when Wayne nodded off and spilt his wine glass while they were watching Hot Seat. The look on his face after he came to was priceless.

7 Likes

Great negative reviews tonight especially Eddie’s new Hot Seat and Todd Sampson’s new ABC show.

2 Likes

First time someone has fallen asleep watching a show?

1 Like

Later?

I think most viewers would be oblivious to where the Goggleboxers live except perhaps around AFL Grand finals time; so adding more or replacing existing cast from other areas wouldn’t have any impact on the show.

3 Likes

Yeah I was thinking whenever opportunities arise in the normal course of events; I wouldn’t get rid of any of the current lot, but eventually some of them will stop for any of a host of possible reasons, and the producers will be looking to replace departing cast members.

1 Like

Whoops, must’ve been a typo (not the first and dare I say, probably won’t be the last I’ve ever made online) on my behalf. I’ve corrected that! :slight_smile:

My general point still stands though.

1 Like

I can’t recall it ever happening before. There’s been plenty of times where they’ve pretended to nod off but I’m pretty sure that’s the first time someone has legitimately nodded off. That’s what made it so great.

2 Likes

They do but it is only up for a day or two after airing.

1 Like

Exactly. If you have to ask what city the Goggleboxers are sitting in front of a TV in, it just highlights the point their location is irrelevant.

Why the need for Goggleboxers from other cities? All it does is increase the cost of producing the show because it would require additional crews.

2 Likes

I don’t think it really matters where the people are from. As long as we have enough diversity in the type of people cast I couldn’t care less which state they are from.

Last night episode was great reviewing a few different shows. The Neighbours bit was interesting, I assume what they watched was across a number of episodes. Also found the Todd Sampson show review hilarious with pretty much everyone saying “Who cares!”.

I think next season it would be good to add a couple new people in. I don’t know who I would remove from the current cast to do that but as much as I enjoy the show it could probably do with some new blood now before it gets stale.

1 Like