Gogglebox Australia

Re rival network’s - it’s fair enough to want your show reviewed if it isn’t too bad but I doubt MKR producers would have liked this week’s reviews.

I thought this week’s episode was the pick of the season so far. The innuendo surrounding watching Dating Naked was hilarious, including another well written, clever narration “He will face stiff competition” :grinning:.

The use of Charlie Pickering’s show to segue to viewing of some newsworthy events was a great idea - Gogglers didn’t have to watch the original coverage, but just watch The Weekly’s summary of them without really watching that show itself.

2 Likes

I can’t imagine Channel 7 would have been too impressed with quite a few of its reviews. In the past 800 Words was described as boring, Hoges got a canning, Murder Uncovered wasn’t exactly raved about and MKR didn’t fair well this week.

2 Likes

No doubt due to the discerning group doing the reviews :grinning:

1 Like

Yes who else would it be?

The Goggleboxers apparently. The Dad even said it himself on this week’s episode about wanting to watch Charlie Pickering.

It sounded to me like they were saying that he had said he was looking forward to the show that night. It might have been a coincidence that they had to review the same show.

In the same episode and I think it might have actually been the same segment, the family said that they didn’t pick the show to watch.

I doubt it. The producers would have it all mapped out.

I have wondered whether some of the banter has been ‘scripted’

They claim it isn’t but it has to be, even if it’s just the producers giving them subtle prompts.

I was thinking recently that there are no movie review shows on FTA anymore (that I’ve seen anyway!). I wonder what a Gogglemovie might look like - except of course you’re not supposed to talk at the movies :slight_smile: - perhaps they could have special screenings for a show where ordinary people watch and react to the latest movies.

1 Like

It was mentioned he had said in the morning he was looking forward to watching it later.
Some of them watch A LOT more TV than just what we see them reviewing judging by some of the girls Twitter accounts.

I thought that perhaps they had been given the list of shows they were going to watch at some point earlier in the week or day and that led to the father saying he was looking forward to it.

1 Like

Sharp eyed viewers will notice a bit of subtle product placement for KFC (if I’m not mistaken they’re this season’s sponsors of the show on both Lifestyle and Ten, so probably no coincidence) in this week’s episode! :wink:

Ten must have insisted on TBL being reviewed for tonight’s episode. 24 hours old.

More likely the producers were grateful for a new show for Goggleboxers to review. They’ve watched everything on Seven and Nine at least once and for some twice.

2 Likes

Good episode tonight. Good mix of shows. Fatal attraction reviews were priceless.

2 Likes

Sort of ended on a cliff hanger too when that text arrived for Anastasia - will we ever know what it said?

1 Like

Lol I was hanging out to hear what it said and Anastasia’s response.

One of the funnier episodes tonight. Less reality shows was a welcomed change. Movies from the 80’s and 90’s provide some of the best responses. Fatal Attraction was a great choice.

1 Like

What I’d personally like to see from Gogglebox in the next season.

*Less reality program reviews.
*Less “Classic Movie” reviews, more recent movie reviews. Once or twice a season, having reviews of a movie from the '80s or '90s is fine. But on a weekly basis? I’m not so sure about that.

I get that Gogglebox will never be able to review movies currently in cinemas, but how about a film that’s just been released on DVD or Blu-Ray? Now there’s a better advertising/promotional opportunity than a KFC bucket in the lounge room! Anyway, back to the list…

*More reviews of news bulletins and sports coverage - by far the dominant genres on Australian TV these days and frequent OzTam ratings toppers.
*More branching out of primetime. What do the families think of the breakfast shows? Studio 10? The Daily Edition? Nine News Now and their “Chat Room” segment? I honestly wouldn’t have a clue.
*Looking at more programs that air on the digital multichannels. Even reviewing an episode of one of those frequently repeated programs like The Big Bang Theory or The Simpsons would be good value.
*Perhaps some new families, although if there are no cast changes until 2018 I won’t be surprised.
*When casting new families, branch out of Sydney and Melbourne. How about some viewers from Queensland? Perth? Adelaide? The show’s popular enough now that it’s probably time to make it feel more like we’re watching households around the nation rather than just Sydney & Melbourne because Australia is certainly a lot more than those two cities!

Of course I expect to get some disagreement and perhaps some ideas are more feasible than others, but I personally think that Gogglebox in it’s current form will get tired very quickly if it just keeps to the current formula and moves away from elements that made the earlier seasons great. As usual, I’d be rather interested to hear what others think.

The concept of the show is to review programs that have been on TV in the past week.
Some of the best comments have come when reviewing 80’s/90’s movies. Audiences familiarity with the movies adds to it.

4 Likes