Gogglebox Australia

The only negative views I saw were from Tom and Di and Mick.

Didnt the older couple say something negative?

I was talking about just the reactions - not whether they were positive of negative - how there was a sudden realisation of the plot reveal, often at exactly the same moment with some couples while some took a bit longer and some still didn’t seem to know what was going on.

1 Like

Mick (from the older couple) just had a hard time getting his head around the twist at the end of the episode.

1 Like

What was the weird question “how did the black one get to the fire station”?

Do we know when the repeat of the first episode is on ten? Missed out last night

Currently - Sunday 10pm on Eleven. May be others

1 Like

Only negative came from Tom. Mick & Di were debating the twist at the end.

1 Like

I watched it just now. Di said the show was rubbish. Then they debated the twist.

1 Like

Given the earlier start this year, I wonder if there’ll be 3 seasons this year

Overkill. They are doing Common Sense to fill some of the gap in between and hoping that will be as successful. If so, that could run for two seasons too.

2 Likes

No foxtel said thet would have 2 seasons. The earlier start is so they get to review different shows to lat year. Next year will probably start like it did last year.

Personally, I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if Common Sense does have two seasons a year. Two seasons of 8 episodes each for both programs equates to 32 weeks of content for the year which is probably relatively cheap to make.

Of course, I think it’s rather obvious that the companion show will most likely share the Gogglebox timeslot(s) on both Lifestyle and Ten.

I personally thought that this year’s earlier start to Gogglebox may have had something to do with the Easter non-ratings break being later this year than it was last year.

In any case, I hope they’ll think about bringing in some new families for the next season. All bar two have been there since Season 1, so it’ll probably soon be time for a few casting changes to keep things fresh before some groups become too irritating and off putting for viewers.

That might have something to do with it. I remember reading something saying they didn’t want the show to become stale so had reviews at different times of the year.

1 Like

This week’s episode highlighted for me the small number of shows that are currently on FTA. So far, the show has now shown at least one installment of each reality show from commercials (and now has doubled up on two of them). We’ve also had Media Watch and ACA plus The Living Room. The main missing genre is drama where This Is Us is the highlight so far; but watching the premiere is a bit easier than expecting the Goggleboxers to randomly watch an episode of 800 Words or House Husbands that they might not be familiar with. I suppose they could have watched an early ep of Newton’s Law. I can see why the producers say that 8 episodes a season is enough otherwise they will be showing the same shows over and over.

2 Likes

They watched an episode of 800 Words last season and the response was far from good. There’s not much on commercial tv at the moment other than reality shows. They did Murder Uncovered a couple of weeks ago so Murder Call will probably get a run soon.

Personally, I think the producers could do a lot worse than branching out of primetime to find Gogglebox review-worthy programs.

For a start, what do the households think about the breakfast and mid-morning programs? I wouldn’t have a clue.

Just like they did again with Big Little Lies this week. I agree it’s going to be hard for them to review a random episode of any scripted series if they’re not familiar with the show. It would be unfair to give a show a negative review when they really have no idea what’s going on with the show.

1 Like

Gogglebox EP David McDonald told News Corp rival networks are hungry to have their shows reviewed because Gogglebox is a conversation starter and gives exposure to shows that viewers may not notice.
Isn’t it up to the producers to choose the shows for the Goggleboxers to watch during the week though?

If other networks are so hungry to have their shows reviewed on Gogglebox, I wonder how long it will be until there’s a bidding war between networks for the show or even other networks trying to do their own take on the concept?

1 Like