George Floyd Killing/BLM - Coverage

Violence isn’t the answer. These riots wont change anything.

2 Likes

Wow

The problem is, what will? Heartwarming social media posts, stories retelling the way they are treated when out in public, comparisons between what happens between them and white people have all not worked, simply walking down the street and trying to ignore it all hasn’t worked for them either.

I admit, I hadn’t paid much attention to things and didn’t realise things were still so bad, I thought it was all stuff in the past but reading more and more into this and watching the coverage I can see that they’ve tried to resolve this peacefully but now rioting and protesting is the only way for them to feel heard.

I do agree there’s a massive element of trouble making in there too and I don’t condone nor agree with that but the need to be heard, the need to feel like they have a voice and the unity between many of those from all walks of life and backgrounds and generations at the beginning of the protests when it was peaceful show that this is a major issue and something has finally snapped and needs to be changed.

9 Likes

CNN showing some very confronting pictures at the moment.

It’s like a war zone. Crazy stuff.

3 Likes

More reporters hit by police, not too sure if this has been shared yet.

1 Like

I haven’t ventured much to the other coverage but I have watched a lot of the CNN and you can hear the disbelief in their voices that this is happening and happening in their country but I have loved that they have spoken to people there and they can discern which people are the ones who can actually articulate the reasons for being there as opposed to the ones just wanting the anarchy. I’ve learned a lot from the coverage and their ability to share those stories in a news reporting way and not in a supporting or a condemning way. They’re showing far more leadership than their leaders in those regards!

3 Likes

Yes I agree. They’re good to make the distinction between protesters and rioters. This distinction needs to be made. The rioters are not the same and these are the ones blending in to try and cause chaos.

2 Likes
1 Like

Nine had an update at midday:

7 Likes

Do we know if the networks have any special programming, e.g., The Latest back on at 7pm?

2 Likes

One hour of news at 6pm should be ample time to cover it. I think viewers would prefer to watch normal scheduled programming after 7pm.

The time difference would make it early morning over there so not as much would be happening there at that time.

4 Likes

The anger has only been further amplified by almost four years of a white nationalist in the White House. Combine that with consistent abuses by authorities against black people and the systemic bias of all levels of society, what did we expect to happen?

7 Likes

The timing of the death of George Floyd could not be worse. I remember at the start of the pandemic we were all predicting that there would be riots within a few months of lockdown and unemployment, even without a particular catalyst.

I sure hope trump and Fox News thinks twice before condemning peaceful protests by Colin kaepernick.

1 Like

I also agree with New York’s mayor. This is now going beyond George Floyd, there is a lot of anger in the United States at the moment. The lack of leadership is now playing a huge part in this country. The United States is currently falling apart.

6 Likes
1 Like

i dont think its the lack of leadership .i think its people getting sick and tired of police being able to do what they want to african american and maybe police in general and getting away with it

2 Likes

With many on the right waiting for this to start some sort of race war. They’ll welcome it because the Trump and his supporters will not condemn it. He’ll say “there are very fine people on both sides”. White nationalists have been waiting for this.

1 Like

Seems a common theme of riots. I remember the London 2011 riots. Started off with a police killing but a few weeks later when the rioters were asked by reporters why they we’re doing it, very few could coherently say why.

It is. America is a complete mess. The sooner they go to an election at the end of the year the better. It won’t solve everything, but hopefully a stable government will help.

From New York’s Mayor
“We can‘t go on like this," he said. “Let’s be clear the coronavirus crisis has created a depth of pain that still has not been accounted for. That loss is being felt so deeply … communities of color lost so much more."

3 Likes

Another Nine update just after 2pm:

4 Likes