George Floyd Killing/BLM - Coverage

CNN has been fantastic today. Been watching Cuomo then Lemon and it’s the first time I’ve seen them be impressive. Really in their element.

Also incredible use of resources. Reporters out in the field, live crosses throughout and switching to press conferences. CNN, for all their faults and overobsession at covering Trump, really excel at the historic moments.

5 Likes

Led to believe that there’s a police station in the building

That could make sense with the way a lot of Police suddenly appeared just before things escalated.

I’ve been watching quite a bit of CNN coverage last night and today with it, it’s so bizarre. It’s not something I’ve really witnessed before and while I know it’s happened a lot in places and it’s happened frequently in the US, I must say that watching the CNN coverage is really providing a good coverage across all the different locations. I watched the CNN foyer part as it was happening, there was a large group outside and they were breaking the windows and then the police grew from only around half a dozen in view to dozens within minutes and a couple of the fireworks or flashbangs getting thrown before the reporter and crew fled the scene.

It’s been interesting watching how in the thick of it all the reporters seem to be too and I have appreciated that they have been able to interview people who are there and they’ve had an ability to put their point of view across in a constructive way and they have also been able to tell the story with justification of why things are happening without condoning but I feel a lot more educated about how the race relations are over there.

3 Likes

This is just some of Nine and Seven’s coverage:
Nine News:

Seven News:

Today - Nine:

1 Like

Have been glued to CNN all day. Phenomenal coverage.
Our local reporters from 7 and 9 are doing a great job too.

I’m a bit surprised we didn’t see some rolling coverage from our outlets today. It’s out of control over there.

9 Likes

These stupid Americans. There just going to create a 2nd wave of CoronaVirus. There’s no social distancing in rioting.

4 Likes

Zero Fucks Given seems to be the order du jour at the moment

4 Likes

10’s opener with speical super for cross to CBS reporter

Seven and Nine

6 Likes

A big deal was made of the acquisition of a water cannon in NSW following the Cronulla riots. It ended up being gifted to Fire and Rescue NSW because it was never used. It’s interesting to note it isn’t a piece of equipment I’ve seen being used anywhere in the U.S. as a means to control rioters and restore order.

6 Likes
1 Like

Ash Mullany has been in the thick of it.

2 Likes

Bit of a history with water canons and black people in the US…

It’s strange looking at some of these places with Google street view, the place on the right here is the restaurant which has been seen on the news tonight looted and destroyed and the 4 storey building across the road with the loans is now a pile of rubble still smouldering. So many livelihoods of no doubt innocent people now caught up in the destruction also. Each night getting worse too, I’m not sure what they can do to stop it each night though there’s more and more locations jumping on board and they’re lucky there’s been no lives lost so far (apart from George Floyd) but if this keeps escalating each night there’s bound to be some casualties at some point.

3 Likes

Hard to socially distance from a policeman crushing your neck.

10 Likes
1 Like

Let’s start again.

I commented saying that rioting like this isn’t social distancing and not helping them fight coronavirus.

Moe then commented about it being hard to social distance when your being held down. (Which had nothing to do with my point at all)

I then get confused thinking he meant it happened during the riots because that is what I was talking about.

Done. End of story. All a misunderstanding. Obviously.

1 Like

I’ve removed a bunch of posts - play nice or you’ll get penalty boxed for 24hrs

2 Likes

I hope those journalists will be okay. This is insane now. They are just trying to do their jobs . No matter what news organisation you work for your safety is paramount and you have a right to be protected and safe from any such disgusting violence.

2 Likes

My point is that the reason they are protesting, sure in violation of the social distancing measures (though mask usage is widespread), are because there is a risk to many of their lives that cannot be avoided by simply “not rioting”.

If there wasn’t video, this wouldn’t have made news anywhere, because it would have been yet another of the thousands of killings of black men in the US by police - they are protesting weighing up the risks to their lives from staying silent.

What’s the point of not getting coronavirus if the police can come in and shoot you in your home, or suffocate you to death on the roadside?

Both things are an active threat to their lives - they aren’t, as you called them, “stupid” for wanting, needing, to voice their rightful anger.

9 Likes