General TV History

Just hear the Theme fro Shaft on the radio - a couple of stations used that as apart of their station idents - from about 4:03

2 Likes

I think it was used by ATV0, was it not?

1 Like

I don’t know about Melbourne, but I think TVQ did.

It was the the theme music for “Seven’s Big League” rugby league replays in Sydney (with Rex “The Moose” Mossop as commentator) in the early 80s. I still love hearing it.

1 Like

I think it also got a run on ABCTV Sport, especially golf telecasts.

I also still very much like the “Fanfare For The Common Man” theme (Emerson Lake And Palmer) that Seven also used for sport broadcast openers.

Remember this one from growing up, the initial part was used for years as the 7 Sport opener, even up to the 2000’s I think but I remember the other parts in particular being used for the motor sport coverage in the 90’s when my parents used to watch that. Even to the point they renovated the house and created “The Bathurst Room”.

1 Like

The full version of ATV10’s 1980 jingle ‘You’re on Top with Ten’. Courtesy of dontv3192.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1EHrPodgu4

4 Likes

I’d always remembered the Rocky footage being in that launch promo but don’t recall the rest of it at all. Although I was watching when this promo was likely debuted on the day that Channel 10 launched. A TV station changing its frequency was a big deal in those days because back then it hardly happened and certainly not in a large city market. B&T magazine reported that it was the first time that a major city channel (outside of the US) had made such a change. Whether that’s true or not I have no idea.

1 Like

In my honest opinion Seven should not have got rid of the name “Australian Television Network” as:
(1) it is an important part of its heritage - it was used in the sixties (watching old Homicide episodes on Youtube mentioned it inside a map of Australia on the closing credits) and again from 1987-92 during the Skase era.
(2) the name can be used as a collective of the Seven Network and all its affiliates, eg. “you’re watching Southern Cross Television, a proud member of the Australian Television Network” and “you’re watching Seven, the Australian Television Network”.
(3) the name is an accurate reflection of its business with its high percentage of Australian self-produced content on the main channel, and its programmes are seen all over Australia.

1 Like

yeah but I think they just found that everyone called it Channel 7 anyway so why bother. Stick with what the people know it as.

1 Like

Here’s a little gem. When Fox News gets caught.

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=uFebKu1pHE4C&pg=PA339&lpg=PA339&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

Admittedly one of the comments below the video alerted me to this. A pretty clever producer at CNN.

2 Likes

Production ender from 1985

5 Likes

what program is that from?

Mass for You at Home !!

4 Likes

A program that had the luxury of getting airtime on Ten.

Geez, I feel for CTV at the moment.

The 2017 Gold Coast (Airport) Marathon was held 2 weeks ago and a highlights package was only shown this weekend. It prompted me to recall 1985 when the entire race was shown live. I don’t know if the broadcast went out nationally as it seemed like a TVO production as can be seen from the camera car. The main commentary from Rob Readings plus Bruce McAvaney who was with the Ten network for the Olympics.

It seemed like a fairly high quality production for the time and included a lot of aerial shots of the coast - it seems sometimes as if Australian TV is going backwards.

3 Likes

There isn’t the money in network television nowadays that there was in the 80s… no one like Alan Bond is prepared to pay $1 bil for the Nine Network, which would be over $2 bil in today’s money.

1 Like

The slightly less well-remembered I Like Nine station ident from Nine Brisbane - July 1985.

2 Likes

Bruce wasn’t just with Ten for the Olympics he was a sports commentator, reporter and presenter for Ten’s Melbourne news and working on other events like the Melbourne Cup as well as the Olympics. But it was knowing that Seven had the Olympic Games in 1992 that led to him changing to Seven in 1989.

I remember years ago there was a plea from someone at The Age to hope that someone had taped Channel 10’s coverage of the 1983 VFA Grand Final. It was a noteworthy coverage because it featured McAvaney with Eddie McGuire and Rex Hunt as commentators. Apparently Ten’s copy of the coverage was long gone.