General TV History

I thought prior to Expo when Skase owned Channel 0 and SEQ they had the same set. At one stage, the regional news was inserted into the Eyewitness News hour I’m pretty sure. Maybe that was prior to 1988 and that set was the legacy of that time.

unusual production credit on the Network 0./28 (SBS) current affairs program Close Up in 1984.

YouTube: kurvapicsa

3 Likes

Network Ten owned CTC Canberra from 87-89 and had the same set constructed as TVQ (see link). The news was broadcast on location at Black Mountain Tower while the set was built. It ‘premiered’ on 19 September 1988, during the Seoul Olympics.

The station had been known at “Capital 7” but re-branded to “Capital 10”.

1 Like

Wikipedia shows it was about 18 months behind the US, however the US was originally showing 2 episodes a week anyway as a part 1/ part 2 serialised structure.

1 Like

I found some Seven coverage

So were Seven and Foxtel sharing the costs? Drew Morphett, Dennis Commetti and Keith Stackpole were on that tour who were working for Seven at the time. Now did James (then Jamie) Brayshaw host from the studio for Seven?

The drama series You Can’t See Round Corners debuted on the Seven Network 50 years ago this week.

It premiered on ATN7, Sydney, on Wednesday 28 June 1967, aided by a two-page advert in the Sydney Morning Herald:

HSV7 in Melbourne followed the next night

Source: TV Times.

The series marked the TV acting debut for Rowena Wallace, though I don’t think it was her first time on TV. I believe she had earlier featured in the variety show Theatre Royal which was made in Brisbane but screened interstate. Theatre Royal was hosted by comedian George Wallace, though they were of no relation.

Interesting article there too on that TV Times page about a proposed daytime serial to be produced by ATV0. This was about a year before Seven launched its daytime series Motel, and would have been the first drama production by the infant Channel 0. But clearly it never eventuated… It would be another 3 years before they managed to get a drama series up and running, The Long Arm.

2 Likes

Sadly The Long Arm would only run for 19 episodes.

One of those “Stereo where available” notices and by the way - it was - as heard on TVO Brisbane.

3 Likes

Does anyone have pictures of the old ten HQ at Macquarie Park and Ultimo?

I think that might be the Nunawading studios for ATV10, not Sydney?

One anniversary I missed yesterday, 1 July marked the 20th anniversary of the launch of Prime Television in Mildura.

Prime was the second commercial channel in the region, launching 32 years after STV8 (WIN).

SBS was already existing in Mildura before Prime came along.

Source: Sunraysia Daily

4 Likes

Prime should’ve launched a 30 Minute Local News in 2015 when WIN without Warning axed it’s News Bulletin.

1 Like

Where abouts in Sydney was TEN10’s original studios located?

North Ryde. They moved to Ultimo in 1990 and to their current Pyrmont studios in 1997.

1 Like

Going by that video, on Lane Cove Rd somewhere?

I thought it was near what is now North Ryde station

Yes, North Ryde station was built in the old outdoor carpark that ran along the Delhi Rd side of the campus. A big chunk of the land would also have been acquired in the early-90s for the M2 Motorway.

I don’t think I knew what it was at the time but I do actually have vague memories of the building having watched that video. The big intersection that you see in the third photo is Epping Rd at Pittwater Rd and the M2 now runs right through the middle of the campus in a cutaway, passing roughly where the satellite dish is right of shot and then would have skirted around the front corner of the main building. I suspect the campus originally filled the entire block bound by Delhi Rd and Epping Rd.

You can see the building if you go back in Google Earth but unfortunately Street View doesn’t go back that far. Looks like the main building was demolished in the second half of 2007. They are currently building a bunch of ~30 storey apartment blocks on the site.

3 Likes

I wonder how popular the footy replays were back in the day? or Young Talent Time? both aired at the same time if i am right.

Global TV studios occupied the old ten site at north ryde for a while before it was demolished and global now NEP moved to Redfern.

It was a large tv campus with a fairly larger studio. As a child I went there to see a taping of kids show Ridgy Didge. Also went to the large ABC campus at gore hill to see a taping of vidiot. The halcyon days of large tv studios owned by the networks.

1 Like