General TV History

To date it is the last time a Western Derby has been shown on free-to-air, or on a Friday night. Network Ten also televised this match on a Saturday night in round 22, 2003 (which was an inverse of round five the same season).

What was ratings like for that derby?
I can recall the r21 2006 western derby drew more than 400 000 Perth viewers on Channel nine even though its a fox sports game.

What is interesting is that the Perth was the strongest market during Nine’s Sunday Football coverage thanks to the WEstern Derby. Sydney and Brisbane had NRL match, while Melbourne had Collingwood vs Carlton match at MCG and Adelaide having the Showdown between Port Adelaide and Adelaide at AAMI Stadium.

No idea, I don’t really pay attention to ratings for some AFL matches.

Afl matches shown on Sunday arvo in Perth on Nine. I would have thought that a few AFL games on Sunday arvo provided a strong lead in to Nine News at 6. The west coast v Carlton game in 2006 had provided a strong lead into 6pm News in Perth with 380k watching. I thought that was The highest ever rating for Nine News perth.

What is interesting, is that National Nine News was Number 1 in Perth during that Sunday, but also it was the Number 1 program for the week in the West. Nine News SUnday beat Seven News Sunday in Perth. It was a rare occurance as Seven News was dominant over Nine in Perth.

2 Likes

Various clips from Channel Nine Perth: 28/11/2004

“Blank” Production Closer

Sunday/Red Ident + Sponsor Billboard

Sunday/Red Lineup:

National Nine News Perth - 5:30pm Update with Sharlyn Sarac:

4 Likes

Channel Nine Perth still used the same music for the sponsor billboards (Sep 2002-Aug 2004) for the August 2004- January 2006 with Mostly Chris Brown. While Melbourne Andy Sydney stations used their own music for sponsor billboards with Steve Britten voicing ads.
What was interesting was that Bob Peters voicing the lineups instead of the Nine Perth voiceover Chris Brown.

1 Like

I think that the cricket intro/theme (following the WWOS intro) would have been one of the last occasions that the theme was used. Thay had a different theme for 2006/07.

And in 2012 Summer Olympics, Channel Nine was the broadcaster of the major sporting event along with Foxtel. Nine and Fox both screened 3D. Channel Nine’s Olympic TV audience was lower than the Beijing 2008 on Seven due to time zone difference but still pulled a strong primetime share.

3 Likes

Ratings also low due to the incredible coverage with 8 channels on Foxtel. I think Channel 7’s Tokyo 2020 coverage will rate well, given a favourable time zone, however given more and more people will be watching on devices and in other ways, it may bring down the TV ratings.

Does anyone have any caps of Channel Nines London 2012 coverage?? IIRC Leila & Cam hosted together, Karl Stefanovic did prime time, Ken Sutcliffe hosted overnights and Mark Nicholas hosted London Today or something.

I think a mistake of 9 was to use the multi channel purely as a HD version of what they were showing on their main channel. They should have used 2 channels to switch over to events etc. I recall them only staying with certain sports for a short period in order to try and show all which led to lots of social media critics!

3 Likes

Various clips from Channel Nine Sydney

Channel Nine Sydney Ident (1988-1992)

Channel Nine Sydney Ident (1992) with different audio

National Nine News - Morning Update with Anna Coren (September 2002)

National Nine News Sydney - Afternoon Update with Georgie Gardner (September 2002)

Channel Nine - Wednesday/Orange McLeod’s Daughters Ident (September 2002)

5 Likes

Eddie did the Ceremonies with Leila.

Anyone has caps of 9’s 2010 Winter Games coverage

1 Like

Gameplay of Family Feud during the brief Bert Newton era. Wonder who was the voiceover?

Grant Denyer’s version ended last July

July 6, 2005. It’d be quite interesting to know how other Australian networks without sporting commitments covered the 2012 Olympics announcement that night.

Still amazing to think it’s nearly been seven years since the event was held as well.

One thing worth remembering is that Nine probably didn’t have much choice but to simulcast the main channel version of London Olympics events in HD, since the broadcast deal was one that was signed before they (originally, obviously it’s since been brought back albeit in MPEG4) dumped Nine HD for GEM in October 2010.

2 Likes

I had probably about 10+ hours on Channel Nine 2012 Olympic coverage on an old DVR. I don’t know where that is, should really try and find the DVR to see whether it is still operational as I would love to see the content again.

2 Likes

I have 3 weeks of unedited, uncompressed archived raw transport stream files of every channel available by DVBT in Sydney for the entire duration of the London 2012 Games. This includes all channels broadcast by Nine, Seven, Ten, ABC, SBS, 9 3D Trial and TVS (Community Channel).It was extremely expensive and the entire thing is over 50TB.

I used two identical machines each with 2x DigitalNow Quad Tuner (they dont sell them anymore unfortunately) and I would record from 11:55pm to 12:05am, 24 hours and 10 minutes later. Each machine would take turns to ensure that no minute was missed and there is an overlap for 10 minutes.

I recorded it as historical preservation and in the hope that one day, eventually I would have the technology to be able to stitch all the files together to create a supermassive archive somewhere on the internet where one would be able to select a moment in time, and watch all channels (over 15) at the same time, in that moment.

Boxes and boxes of harddrives are stored in my cupboard stacked on top of each other. I will dig out some of them today and post the content here for you all to see. I would love to find a way to post them all online without the host platform compressing the footage.

7 Likes

That is insane, I thought my 10 hours was a lot! I originally interpreted that as being Nine’s channels, but all channels :astonished:

I don’t remember seeing that on feed we got in America, i assume that the world feed didn’t have that Breaking News super. I once saw a AFL match that was from Fox Footy, but that used Nine feed during a match where they crossed to the Nine Newsroom, but the game carried on. Dwayne Russell paused for a moment, then continued the call.

A post was split to a new topic: 3D Broadcasting

I would have thought that Mark Nicholas has hosted London Gold where it recaps the highlights of the games.

Yeah. Nine should have had the different telecast rather than a simulcast. Nine could have used Go! when having news at 6pm.

That’s impressive.

With your equipment and knowledge, I reckon you potentially have a future in something like archiving or media monitoring! :slight_smile: