General TV History

Paul Khoury was the voiceover for Bert’s Family Feud.
In the 2014 version of Family Feud hosted by Grant Denyer, they used Paul Pittioni as the voiceover saying ‘Survey Says, It’s 6 o’clock. Time For Family Feud!’ In 2015, Pittioni moved to Nine for voiceover, replacing Adam Whitby.

1 Like

While on the topic of the Olympics coverage. I must say that a highlight of 7’s coverages was Roy & HG. They were a huge hit at the Sydney 2000 games with their late night show ‘The Dream’.

If I was Ch7, I would 100% be bringing ‘The Dream’ back with Roy & HG. Given the Timezone, most events will wrap up by our nighttime (keeping in mind swimming & track + field will be in USA prime time), so 7 will be without live action at late night. The Dream would be a fantastic option for a light hearted look at the days events and results. It would rate significantly better than a highlights show hosted by Hamish McLachlan or whoever.

& i’d love to see Fatso the Fat arsed wombat return!

5 Likes

20th anniversary edition of The Dream with Roy and HG. Classic episodes on 7plus on demand.

7 has plans for the 20th anniversary of the Sydney Olympic Games with Brisbane considering a bid for 2032.

1 Like

After last year’s 25th anniversary since the announcement was barely mentioned in the Sydney media, unfortunately I doubt there’s going to be much hype for “2000 at 20” especially since the stadium where all those memorable events happened is probably going to be a construction site (for the refurbished ANZ Stadium) in September 2020.

What I think would be really nice though, is if Nine acknowledged that mid-September is a very special time of year for both TCN and the metropolitan area as a whole by planning the move to North Sydney around then. Of course I could probably go on forever with the gushing about Nine’s move to North Sydney and why I think it’s important they take into consideration even the smallest of things like this, but in the interests of everyone I’m going to leave it there for now.

adam hills specifically mentioned in his bio that when channel 4 came to him for the last leg it was pitched as “the Paralympic dream”

2 Likes

One would think that 2020 would be an extremely busy year for Nine in Sydney with the TCN moving from Willoughby to North Sydney (operations, news facilities and other equipment will be on the truck for relocation). As well as this, the State of Origin will be played at SCG (as they don’t want to disrupt the construction works). (Correct me if I’m wrong but there will be a Queen & Adam Lambert Concert that will happen in ANZ Stadium, Sydney in February 2020. This schedule event will be its last before refurbishments commence at the stadium).

1 Like

The 1st anniversary was largely overshadowed by 9/11 and the collapse of Ansett but 7 showed a highlights package of the Opening Ceremony on the night of 15 September 2001.

In 2010, the 10th anniversary was mentioned

Stadium Australia will be undergoing redevelopment work this time next year.

On 13 September 2001, the coverage of the terror attacks in New York and Washington continued on air for Channels 7, 9, TEN and ABC as well as SBS (Correct Me if I’m wrong). When did the extensive coverage of the 911 attacks finish?

Someone being creative on Wikipedia again?

6 Likes

Isn’t that what QTQ stands for?

1 Like

So was that your edit on Wikipedia?

But, not that I’m aware of and there is no citation on the Wikipedia article.

The original licencee for QTQ was Queensland Television Ltd, so that is likely where the call-sign QTQ is derived. But if anyone can provide a source for “Quality Television for Queensland”, I’d be interested.

7 Likes

No it wasn’t my edit.

It really is amazing just how bad those articles are - no History section at all and the majority a useless list of presenters and reporters.

So many radio stations are similar - a brief line or two on history, and then basically the contents of their website.

I would try to fix it, but my interest in trying has been long zapped by some of the ‘contributors’ who prefer to just rip down the additions from others, and would prefer things be wrong than unsourced.

7 Likes

that’s been my experience too. I had an edit (which included citations) on the Neighbours page reversed by some over zealous UK fan because my edit somehow didn’t fit their recollection.

I also fixed up the AMV station page because its history section had a whole chunk that was actually referring to its sister station RVN, but nobody had bothered to correct it, then someone reversed my edit.

I tend to not edit Wikipedia pages anymore.

Amazing that a lot of US TV station pages on Wikipedia are quite well written, but the Australian ones are usually hijacked by fanbois or people pushing their own network biases and are just poorly written overall

6 Likes

You’re welcome to correct any mistakes on Logopedia.

I didn’t mention Logopedia in this case, but thanks. As I said, I don’t really have the energy to fix others’ mistakes especially when they get undone anyway.

2 Likes

That’s fair.

Exactly. For Sydney & Melbourne stations, the incomplete archives of the SMH & The Age (which has quite a lot of the 1990s papers that Google News Archive doesn’t, along with a bit of Early 2000s) on Newspapers.com seems like a decent enough place to start gathering historical information. I can perhaps understand why there might be limited information on some aspects of regional TV, but not the country’s two largest media markets.

As someone who values accuracy I’d probably one day like to go even better and make a visit to the NSW State Library on Macquarie Street to check some things (such as the old “7 Days” liftouts from Thursday and later Wednesday editions of The Daily Telegraph) from papers that aren’t available online, but I suspect even that would count for nothing from the perspective of Wikipedia.

1 Like

The State Library of NSW is also a good place to find historical information of regional TV (as well as radio), as they have old editions of regional daily newspapers from across NSW. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So we’re going to trial closing this topic down for a while.

We’re happy with the way the expanded section has started some popular topics going, but there’s still a lot of stuff being discussed in this thread which easily gets lost if you don’t follow the thread more than once a day.

We encourage you to start new threads to discuss different items. As always, we’ll keep an eye on things as our aim is to really expand this area of discussion, not constrain it.

NB/ @SydneyCityTV - 2019 MediaSpy Award Winner for fastest post liker. Imagine the controversy if it turns out to be scripted…

15 Likes