General TV History

Ahh shit, why Nine Seven Ten don’t play the PRG from Sydney then transmit to other cities, #myfriends

(As of 2018, Nine Seven Ten’s PRG were played out from each metro stations)

I think that’s the point I stopped watching regularly because Seven was cutting the show to bits to fit three hours of it into a two hour slot. Interviews and reports would be promoted and you’d wait to see them but they never appeared because we were getting a heavily edited version of the show. It used to piss me off.

For many years the show aired dead on 12 midnight so when it was EST in Australia we were viewing it at the same time as west coast USA Pacific Daylight Time and in the Australian summer months we were getting it before west coast USA. There was a brief period, around 1990, when it was airing around 11.30pm.

It was quite a novelty when it first aired and gained a dedicated following amongst insomniacs and students who were up at that time studying. Within weeks of the gamble to schedule US overnight news on ATN 7 in 1985 proving successful, HSV 7 was following suit and taking News Overnight, also

26%20AM

42%20AM

2 Likes

Maybe begs the question, why edit to 2 hours if they had nothing special after it?

4 Likes

And even now Seven wrecks Today by cutting out bits that have been promoted going into ad breaks. They almost always remove Al Roker’s weather segments even on days when there have been major events like tornadoes and flooding.

2 Likes

Gotta make room for the infomercials :moneybag::moneybag::moneybag:

3 Likes

It’s not nice to swear my friend, especially if it’s just over network PRGs. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

sorry #myfriend

1992-1994 if I recall correctly.

1 Like

I didn’t think it lasted that long though. They could have been showing repeats in 1994.

1 Like

Hosted by the late Ian Turpie with Tania Zaetta as his assistant.
Ran from 10 February 1992 to 4 February 1994 (close to 2 years).

The schedule posted above had I think a documentary airing after it at 2.35am.

1 Like

That schedule was from 1990. When Today extended to three hours in 2000 the infomercials had become an entrenched part of the early morning schedule. Seven was probably contractually obliged to run them.

4 Likes

Does anyone remember how Seven covered the 2002 Commonwealth Games (the last time they televised the event prior to last year)?

All I can remember is Mark Beretta hosting.

1 Like

If I understand you correctly, each market’s PRGs are inserted separately (due to potential variations in the schedules, I assume). If an affiliate is taking a dirty feed, they will get the PRGs from their relevant metro station.

2 Likes

OK. I was probably being a bit facetious and didn’t look at the guide :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I remember the promo

And I remember during the opening competition day, Seven in Sydney went completely dead for a few hours.

3 Likes

NTD8 Territory Television’s station close from the 80s/90s. It also has the test pattern.

11 Likes

As was the case last year, Seven also televised the Winter Olympics in 2002 (best known for the Steven Bradbury race win called by Basil Zempilas).

I believe Nine may also televised a few World Cup (soccer) matches that year too.

6 Likes

…and there’s a hint of things to come after Monday, with Phil Baildon voicing the Lineup! :wink:

7 Likes