General TV History

I remember reading either on this thread or the old MS TV History thread on when precisely the relaunch occurred but have forgotten the exact details. Did it occur on midnight or the Early News bulletin or some time else on 30 January?

For Channel 9? The new logo and presentation commenced just before 6am leading into Today.

1 Like

It debuted as a watermark during the cricket before the full relaunch at 6am

I thought you were referring to a VO-less sponsor billboard, but it’s a mostly VO-less one with not much for the VO to say… Here’s a more recent example with an inverted structure:

(Credits to the god himself, @Zampakid)

In Melbourne the “old” 9 logo watermark continued right up until the end of the preceding program (one of the US news shows, maybe 20/20). Then there was a National Nine News promo with the new logo, then the new ID going into Today, introducing new co-host Jessica Rowe.

5 Likes

Yes - similar story in Brisbane I believe. The new format lasted until 18 January 1988 when it was replaced by 30 minute Seven Nightly News (using the Mission theme for the first time) staring at 6.30pm and followed by Carroll at Seven.

1 Like

It was second in Melbourne alone, mostly thanks to the AFL.

If it wasn’t for the Olympics, Border Security and Dancing with the Stars, Seven would have finished third nationally with only Perth saving it from more embarrassment. But even so, Seven were losing weeks to Nine in the west.

In Sydney, we had 20/20 complete with the old watermark. When that finished there was an ad for the Swimming World Championships complete with new logo and graphics, new ID and then into Today.

3 Likes

Well at least the first four seconds or so until the voiceover kicks in, but I’m sure I could stitch together a clean (or near clean) track if I had a few more Sponsor Billboard clips of a similar quality. All we need is one in stereo without any VOs right in the middle, around the 3.7 to 5.9 second mark! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Haven’t seen an video of the transition to 9 box logo

I have it on vhs somewhere i need to look for it

3 Likes

Pls gib

2 Likes

The 2004 ratings result in Perth was as close as it gets, IIRC 3% was all that separated Seven Nine and Ten.

3 Likes

I’m curious:
*When did Seven stop showing NBC Today live with the U.S?
*When NBC Today extended to 3 hours in 2000, did Seven show all three hours?
Thanks!!

1 Like

They never did show it live. One exception was on the 1st anniversary of the September 11 attacks where it aired live in Australian prime time.

4 Likes

Doh! My bad.
I should’ve said when did Seven stop showing the show at 1am in the morning?

they were showing it in '09 at least - I often caught it during my all night MMORPG binges and when i was in NYC i made a point to go to the plaza to see the show. the ep i saw featured of all people Donald Trump defending one of his beauty queens who i think said somehting along the lines of Gay people go to hell

1 Like

Gosh, I actually remember this show.

7 Likes

:thinking:

2 Likes

What year was that?

I just remember coming home from school and finding my brother watching it.

Was that filmed at GTV9 studio 9?

1 Like