General TV History

Did Phil Baildon started voiceover at Nine in January 2006? I would have thought that bob peters has already gone to Ten during that time.
Also in that 2004-Jan 2006 era, Steve Britten voices the sponsor billboards! I think in January 2006, Since Bob Peters left, Steve Britten continue to do the voiceover for Sponsor billboards.

Nine bought the rights to a package of 16 matches from that year’s World Cup (SBS got the rest)

Apparently Packer was convinced the Socceroos would qualify that year… he was wrong.

3 Likes

If they had, then Nine would’ve enjoyed a ratings bonanza.

I’m also not sure about how the 2002 Manchester Commonwealth Games rated, given the majority of live play would’ve been during the east coast prime time/late night/early morning before Sunrise.

Some Channel Nine Sydney “oldies”:

10 Likes

I loved their 1988-92 station ID.

2 Likes

I’d always thought Phil started voiceovers from the relaunch. Interesting to learn otherwise.

2 Likes

Isn’t this him voicing the lineup at the start of this clip on 24 November 2005?

1 Like

Bob Peters voiced that one, I think his association with Nine ended at the conclusion of the 2005 ratings season (with Bill Weaver doing some work over the Summer until Phil Baildon took over) although I’d be happy to be corrected on that if I’m wrong.

1 Like

Who commentated for 9’s World Cup coverage. SBS shared the rights and simulcasted the Final

No idea, sorry.

I might be the only one here, but I liked the original suite of idents and music for the dotless Nine era. Not a fan of the logo or the NNN presentation, but the idents were refreshing.

Still prefer the coloured days, and the classic Australian map idents from the 80s.

6 Likes

No. Bob Peters did the lineup. Then Steve Britten did the sponsor billboards for City of Melbourne. This would be the final time that Bob Peters has voiced in Nine before jumping to Ten in jan 2006.
On 24 November 2005, this was the final day of Thr Price Is Right. Larry Emdur has said a big farewell to the show and has moved to Channel Seven to host The ailing Wheel of Fortune. He joined with Laura Csortan as the pair as hosts of the show. Unfortunately This show was too late and this saw the axing of the show in July 2006.
Over the summer period I would have thought that Nine aired old episodes of The Price Is Right from 2005 series. With the relaunched look, Nine still aired old episodes. Larry emdur appeared on two channels simultaneously (Wheel of Fortune on 7, The Price is Right in 9). The price is right is retired and was replaced by Family Feud hosted by Bert Newton. This show struggled a lot in 2006 as it was beaten soundly by Andrew O’Keefes deal or no deal, but still performed marginally better than Price is right in 2005.

Didn’t Bill Weaver do a bit of voiceover with the classification billboards since Bob Peters left? Since Phil Baildon left ten to go to Nine, did Bill Weaver go straight from Nine to the Abc?

1 Like

Well, the final new episode on Nine anyway.

Also if my memory serves me correctly The Price is Right was actually axed at the start of July (which probably gives you an idea of how far back it was struggling in the ratings), months before the final episode went to air.

Yes, that’s correct.

Although there would’ve only been two weeks (probably even less than that, after taking into consideration interruptions for Sports coverage) of post-relaunch The Price is Right repeats, with Family Feud debuting on February 13.

Also, Wheel of Fortune aired at 5pm (because of course, they were never going to demote “Pick the briefcase which contains the most money!” after hugely successful ratings in 2005) while the repeats of The Price is Right on Nine were at 5.30pm.

No, I’m pretty sure Bill Weaver has only become the voice of ABC-TV in recent years.

2 Likes

I would have thought The Price is Right have suffered a ratings decline by a tiny fraction in late 2004 with the rise of Deal or No Deal. This is the ratings war between Andrew O’Keefe (7) and Larry Emdur on 9. In 2005, Nine started to struggle badly with the price is right in terms of ratings. Even The Price is Right got beaten by Ten News at 5 in Perth in 2005. as time went by, Nine started to lose viewers (with the 30 min format) as this show was beaten by Ten News nationally.
Shawn Cosgrove, Who voiced The price is right in 2003-05, had left Nine (IIRC).
December 2005 saw Nine start to lose a bit of momentum in summer ratings. Following the passing of Kerry Packer, Nine still used the 7 colour days ident before relaunching its presentation on Jan 30 2006. In January 2006, the downfall of Nine began as it was beaten by Seven (thanks to the Australian Open tennis).
@SydneyCityTV
I would have thought that voiceover Tim Elliott was still on Nine until it’s relaunch of the presentation in late January 2006. Sadly Tim elliott died in 2011. Channel Nine was never the same without him :’(.

1 Like

Not sure if this has been posted before but some absolute widescreen gold from Channel 9 in this video.

3 Likes

I was a big fan. Loved watching it at 1AM on Friday nights in high school. Recorded by yours truly. The first 2 clips could be a comedy sketch! As a kid just returned from England where TV news was austere and scripted, we just could not get our heads around this as “News”! :wink: Of course, times have changed, and this chatting about nothing is normal everywhere all the time now.

2 Likes

Great to see the opener of the Melbourne 2006 Games on Nine.
2006 was interesting:

• Nine removed the dots and placed it as a standalone 9 Logo.
  • Phil Baildon joined Nine in voiceovers.
  • Jessica Rowe joined Today Show, replacing Tracy Grimshaw, who moved to ACA.
  • Bert’s Family Feud replaced The Price is Right (as Larry Emdur was at the Seven Network, hosting Wheel of Fortune).
  • Nine had the Melbourne 2006 Games.
  • At the Logie Awards night, Nine refreshed their on-air presentation with a dreadfully warehouse look.
  • AFL telecast ended on Nine (Sydney v Carlton was their final telecast on Nine. (I forgot who commentated the game). TEN Telecasted all the AFL Finals series in 2006 + Brownlow Medal and the Grand Final)
  • Nine just won the ratings year by a fraction over Seven.
2 Likes

In fact the last game vs Collingwood vs Kangaroos, with Tony Jones presenting a farewell speech at the end of the telecast.

Dennis Cometti and Dwayne Russell called the Sydney Swans vs Carlton match that was played earlier in the day.

1 Like

If not for the Commonwealth Games, 7 would’ve won 2006.

Family Feud was revived with Bert Newton hosting hence the title Bert’s Family Feud but due to poor ratings BFF lasted only 18 months before being axed.

Nine Melbourne reinstated Cool Hand Luke after viewer backlash over the new remixed theme weeks after the relaunch.

1 Like

Seven didn’t have the Olympics in 2012 but it still won that ratings year comfortably.

1 Like