General TV History

And when she left Perth for the big smoke, another ex-STW personality took her place (Angela Tsun). If you can’t beat them, join them.

Natalia Cooper also had a brief stint presenting weather on Nine News Sydney when Amber Sherlock went on maternity leave in 2014. With Sophie Walsh moving to London next month, Cooper is the only realistic chance of succeeding either Amber or Belinda on weather on Nine News Sydney.

4 Likes

“Let’s all be There” slogan used by 7 in the 80s

2 Likes

The 80s was a tough period for Channel Seven as a whole, IIRC.

Once, Seven News Melbourne recorded a total audience figure of - wait for it - 0.

Yep, zero.

6 Likes

It was my favourite Seven era… The “All The Best” and “Watch Us Now” IDs on ATN-7 Sydney had me glued to the telly when they were on.

2 Likes

The “One to Watch” slogan sent a strong message, but not strong enough, and when Seven dropped it halfway through 2003, the network found itself in a dire position before reviving their fortunes with Desperate Housewives and Lost.

Probably this year is the first time since 2010 that Seven is being seriously challenged as Australia’s leading television network. Still, Seven won 2010 by 23 weeks to Nine’s 16 weeks and Ten’s one week (after Week 31, Nine was leading 16-14-1, but then Seven won the final nine weeks).

3 Likes

Damm when exactly was that?

1 Like

1987 after Mal Walden got the sack. It wasn’t literally zero, it was measured as an asterisk, essentially a number too small to be calculated from the ratings sample.

5 Likes
3 Likes

After “the one to watch” Seven wouldn’t have another long-running campaign until “GOTTALOVEIT” in December 2004.

3 Likes

Then there was administration in the early 90s with Christopher Skase

2 Likes

And then Seven lost the AFL rights in January 2001, after which the network suffered from numerous ratings flops and was continually second behind Nine, even third, in regular ratings surveys.

2004 was the nadir as it finished third behind Network Ten, with most of the blame being laid on the Sydney and Melbourne markets.

Only when Lleyton Hewitt reached the final of the Australian Open in 2005, and the network purchased US heavyweight shows Desperate Housewives and Lost, did they start becoming competitive again. However, it was still third in Melbourne for the most part of that year.

3 Likes

Huh? No. Ten came close but was third.

2 Likes

11 posts were split to a new topic: Adopt a Dot

Although it should’ve disappeared years ago, TPG’s IPTV service is still up-and-running even if it’s “outdated”…
Site link: https://www.tpg.com.au/iptv/index

P.S Being off-topic, I wish Foxtel would bring back the non-PVR “standard” receivers with a more modern/flashy UI…

I’m with TPG and I can’t use the service. The page is active but the system isn’t.

3 Likes

This one has to take the cake though (in Australia at least).

4 Likes

Looks like Seven Brisbane had a go at a one-hour news, same as 7 Melbourne did in 1987 @TV.Cynic

Maybe this wasn’t a roaring success, same as Melbourne, given a return to half-hour news in 1988 :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I see its first news story was about the infamous Grim Reaper AIDS commercial.

8 Likes

The week of 22-28 January 2006 was the last week of the 7 colours for 7 days package before the relaunch on 30 January 2006.

The original dotless package lasted until May before the infamous warehouse look which lasted until 2006.

1 Like