Adopt a Dot

I’m sure it’s probably mentioned somewhere, but does anyone remember the hockey puck like thing that you attached to your screen on Channel 7, and the era?
I have it in my head it was c.2002-03, but can’t remember it’s name for the life of me.
I also seem to recall 5 or 6 different colours, which is why it suggests that era.

Was probably one of the stranger advertising concepts.

2 Likes

It was “Adopt a Dot” and actually took place at the end of 2000, just after the Sydney Olympics. Nine responded to this promotion with $1 Million Cash Giveaway.

The use of five colours (red, orange, yellow, green and blue) was a major part of Seven’s branding in various guises between around Autumn 1999 and mid-2003 though.

1 Like

Courtesy of old mate @Zampakid

4 Likes

The adopt-a-dot campaign burnt some TV’s with some viewers complaining. You had to go to a BP store to participate.

5 colours were used debuting in 1999 and ending in September 2003. The coloured men launched just after the Olympics lasting until July 2002

How? The dot was harmless non-technology that was just a gimmick.

8 Likes

:laughing: Where did you hear that?!

Now that bit I believe

3 Likes

Yeah, maybe BigVic was referring to screen burn-in? Although I thought that phenomenon was more of a mid-2000s thing myself

If a promotional gimmick on Channel Seven actually caused television sets to burn, the papers and A Current Affair would’ve been all over it like the modern sensationalist media of Sydney at a Salim Mehajer court case.

2 Likes

the dots were pieces of cellophane wrapped in cardboard with a 7 logo on it to get people to stick them on their TVs, for the “dot” to be allegedly “charged up” . AFAIK there was possibly a dot superimposed on screen to indicate where people should put the dots on their screen but I can’t see that this was problematic any more than any other on-screen graphic.

3 Likes

6 Likes

in 99 as well?

Edit: Has to be from 2000

1 Like

The dot is visible at the beginning of this video just before the credit roll for Wheel of Fortune ends.

It was a whole load of shit. The ‘dots’ were examined by some European newsagency and they basically consisted of a film strip. You could have put the dot in front of any bright light source and it would have worked.

8 Likes

Too bad Nine didn’t run this in the last few months of 2005.

3 Likes

Also ran in New Zealand in 2000 on TV3, called Teledots here.

Complete and utter shite, of course.

6 Likes

30 sec:

15 sec:

15 sec:

1 Like

GWN also took part of the promotion:

6 Likes

A little white dot appearing on the bottom right hand corner of the screen during an episode of Wheel of Fortune during the Adopt-A-Dot campaign.

3 Likes