General TV History

This is the Living your kind of Life(BTV/GMV 6) in English and Cantonesse version on the ATV in Hong Kong 1982

3 Likes

they had the same owner from 1970 to 1979-ish so it’s probably to be expected

And that there’s not much you can do with the Number 0 for a logo!

1 Like

Universal Telecasters, right #myfriends ???

Almost #myfriend.

TVQ0’s licencee was Universal Telecasters, which after the licence was issued in 1964 was subject to an aggressive takeover attempt by Reg Ansett who owned Austarama Television (ATV0) in Melbourne. Ansett ended up with around 49% share in Universal Telecasters. (It was probably no coincidence that Ansett also happened to be an unsuccessful applicant for the Brisbane Channel 0 licence, so he was clearly determined to get it one way or another)

By 1970, Ansett bought Universal Telecasters outright and owned it up until about 1980 when it was sold off to a joint venture between Ampol and radio station 2SM. (About a year or so after he had sold ATV0 to Rupert Murdoch)

1 Like

WTF is this? The red colour? The dodgy “TEN” font. The all-caps “BRISBANE STYLE” in Arial font.

Hard to take Logopedia all that seriously when people just put up poor mock ups based on fiction

8 Likes

So many companies that owned completely different things to what they were most well known for.

If u wanna make some changes to that page, go right ahead.

Yep, I agree.

While Logopedia seems to have some really good quality logos, there are others which are very dubious IMO.

5 Likes

True. I think that was particularly the case for the 0-10 channels, given that and 7s and 9s and a lot of regional channels were likely to be majority owned or linked to local newspaper publishers / radio broadcasters.

Ten in Sydney was launched by a consortium that included AWA, NRMA, Bank Of NSW, JC Williamson Theatres and Colonial Sugar Refineries (CSR).

Reg Ansett who owned ATV0 and TVQ0 as above also had investments in SAS10 Adelaide and STW9 Perth. He was determined to build a TV empire of some sort!

or perhaps people could not write fiction and pass it off as fact in the first place. It’s why nobody can put any trust in Wikipedia. I’ve had updates with citations undone by some overzealous moderators who deem them unworthy. I stopped bothering after that.

7 Likes

[citation needed]

4 Likes

Enjoy these ultre rare RTN8 stuff, #myfriends https://m.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.434437846761533.1073741830.434387393433245&type=3

1 Like
5 Likes

Got some more tapes from Perth, and here’s what I’ve found so far…

11 Likes

I believe that ‘Special Presentation’ opener is quite rare, good find there! I always wondered whether they had one of them for each day, obviously they did.

1 Like

Some more Perth TV…

Seven News Perth Closed Captioning Campaign Ad

Nine 2001 PRG:

Logies Themed Lineup:

8 Likes

When I looked at the Special Presentation, I thought Steve Britten does the voiceover for these.

I’d imagine Nine’s choice of voiceover used for Movie/Special Presentation Openers & Promos would’ve varied, based on the content of said Movie or Special Presentation. Ken Sparkes probably did most of them, but there were some voiced by Steve Britten as you mentioned and even Tim Elliott (possibly also John Martin, since he was still a major voice for Nine until around the mid-2000s) would’ve voiced a few.

Speaking of Nine Network voiceovers for movies, surely I can’t be the only one who remembers how Tim Burdock’s re-voiceovers for Harry Potter promos on WIN were never quite as good as the ones Tim Elliott did for Nine? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes