General TV History

July 6, 2005. It’d be quite interesting to know how other Australian networks without sporting commitments covered the 2012 Olympics announcement that night.

Still amazing to think it’s nearly been seven years since the event was held as well.

One thing worth remembering is that Nine probably didn’t have much choice but to simulcast the main channel version of London Olympics events in HD, since the broadcast deal was one that was signed before they (originally, obviously it’s since been brought back albeit in MPEG4) dumped Nine HD for GEM in October 2010.

2 Likes

I had probably about 10+ hours on Channel Nine 2012 Olympic coverage on an old DVR. I don’t know where that is, should really try and find the DVR to see whether it is still operational as I would love to see the content again.

2 Likes

I have 3 weeks of unedited, uncompressed archived raw transport stream files of every channel available by DVBT in Sydney for the entire duration of the London 2012 Games. This includes all channels broadcast by Nine, Seven, Ten, ABC, SBS, 9 3D Trial and TVS (Community Channel).It was extremely expensive and the entire thing is over 50TB.

I used two identical machines each with 2x DigitalNow Quad Tuner (they dont sell them anymore unfortunately) and I would record from 11:55pm to 12:05am, 24 hours and 10 minutes later. Each machine would take turns to ensure that no minute was missed and there is an overlap for 10 minutes.

I recorded it as historical preservation and in the hope that one day, eventually I would have the technology to be able to stitch all the files together to create a supermassive archive somewhere on the internet where one would be able to select a moment in time, and watch all channels (over 15) at the same time, in that moment.

Boxes and boxes of harddrives are stored in my cupboard stacked on top of each other. I will dig out some of them today and post the content here for you all to see. I would love to find a way to post them all online without the host platform compressing the footage.

7 Likes

That is insane, I thought my 10 hours was a lot! I originally interpreted that as being Nine’s channels, but all channels :astonished:

I don’t remember seeing that on feed we got in America, i assume that the world feed didn’t have that Breaking News super. I once saw a AFL match that was from Fox Footy, but that used Nine feed during a match where they crossed to the Nine Newsroom, but the game carried on. Dwayne Russell paused for a moment, then continued the call.

A post was split to a new topic: 3D Broadcasting

I would have thought that Mark Nicholas has hosted London Gold where it recaps the highlights of the games.

Yeah. Nine should have had the different telecast rather than a simulcast. Nine could have used Go! when having news at 6pm.

That’s impressive.

With your equipment and knowledge, I reckon you potentially have a future in something like archiving or media monitoring! :slight_smile:

Paul Khoury was the voiceover for Bert’s Family Feud.
In the 2014 version of Family Feud hosted by Grant Denyer, they used Paul Pittioni as the voiceover saying ‘Survey Says, It’s 6 o’clock. Time For Family Feud!’ In 2015, Pittioni moved to Nine for voiceover, replacing Adam Whitby.

1 Like

While on the topic of the Olympics coverage. I must say that a highlight of 7’s coverages was Roy & HG. They were a huge hit at the Sydney 2000 games with their late night show ‘The Dream’.

If I was Ch7, I would 100% be bringing ‘The Dream’ back with Roy & HG. Given the Timezone, most events will wrap up by our nighttime (keeping in mind swimming & track + field will be in USA prime time), so 7 will be without live action at late night. The Dream would be a fantastic option for a light hearted look at the days events and results. It would rate significantly better than a highlights show hosted by Hamish McLachlan or whoever.

& i’d love to see Fatso the Fat arsed wombat return!

5 Likes

20th anniversary edition of The Dream with Roy and HG. Classic episodes on 7plus on demand.

7 has plans for the 20th anniversary of the Sydney Olympic Games with Brisbane considering a bid for 2032.

1 Like

After last year’s 25th anniversary since the announcement was barely mentioned in the Sydney media, unfortunately I doubt there’s going to be much hype for “2000 at 20” especially since the stadium where all those memorable events happened is probably going to be a construction site (for the refurbished ANZ Stadium) in September 2020.

What I think would be really nice though, is if Nine acknowledged that mid-September is a very special time of year for both TCN and the metropolitan area as a whole by planning the move to North Sydney around then. Of course I could probably go on forever with the gushing about Nine’s move to North Sydney and why I think it’s important they take into consideration even the smallest of things like this, but in the interests of everyone I’m going to leave it there for now.

adam hills specifically mentioned in his bio that when channel 4 came to him for the last leg it was pitched as “the Paralympic dream”

2 Likes

One would think that 2020 would be an extremely busy year for Nine in Sydney with the TCN moving from Willoughby to North Sydney (operations, news facilities and other equipment will be on the truck for relocation). As well as this, the State of Origin will be played at SCG (as they don’t want to disrupt the construction works). (Correct me if I’m wrong but there will be a Queen & Adam Lambert Concert that will happen in ANZ Stadium, Sydney in February 2020. This schedule event will be its last before refurbishments commence at the stadium).

1 Like

The 1st anniversary was largely overshadowed by 9/11 and the collapse of Ansett but 7 showed a highlights package of the Opening Ceremony on the night of 15 September 2001.

In 2010, the 10th anniversary was mentioned

Stadium Australia will be undergoing redevelopment work this time next year.

On 13 September 2001, the coverage of the terror attacks in New York and Washington continued on air for Channels 7, 9, TEN and ABC as well as SBS (Correct Me if I’m wrong). When did the extensive coverage of the 911 attacks finish?

Someone being creative on Wikipedia again?

6 Likes

Isn’t that what QTQ stands for?

1 Like

So was that your edit on Wikipedia?

But, not that I’m aware of and there is no citation on the Wikipedia article.

The original licencee for QTQ was Queensland Television Ltd, so that is likely where the call-sign QTQ is derived. But if anyone can provide a source for “Quality Television for Queensland”, I’d be interested.

7 Likes

No it wasn’t my edit.