General TV History

3 Likes

After “the one to watch” Seven wouldn’t have another long-running campaign until “GOTTALOVEIT” in December 2004.

3 Likes

Then there was administration in the early 90s with Christopher Skase

2 Likes

And then Seven lost the AFL rights in January 2001, after which the network suffered from numerous ratings flops and was continually second behind Nine, even third, in regular ratings surveys.

2004 was the nadir as it finished third behind Network Ten, with most of the blame being laid on the Sydney and Melbourne markets.

Only when Lleyton Hewitt reached the final of the Australian Open in 2005, and the network purchased US heavyweight shows Desperate Housewives and Lost, did they start becoming competitive again. However, it was still third in Melbourne for the most part of that year.

3 Likes

Huh? No. Ten came close but was third.

2 Likes

11 posts were split to a new topic: Adopt a Dot

Although it should’ve disappeared years ago, TPG’s IPTV service is still up-and-running even if it’s “outdated”…
Site link: https://www.tpg.com.au/iptv/index

P.S Being off-topic, I wish Foxtel would bring back the non-PVR “standard” receivers with a more modern/flashy UI…

I’m with TPG and I can’t use the service. The page is active but the system isn’t.

3 Likes

This one has to take the cake though (in Australia at least).

4 Likes

Looks like Seven Brisbane had a go at a one-hour news, same as 7 Melbourne did in 1987 @TV.Cynic

Maybe this wasn’t a roaring success, same as Melbourne, given a return to half-hour news in 1988 :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I see its first news story was about the infamous Grim Reaper AIDS commercial.

8 Likes

The week of 22-28 January 2006 was the last week of the 7 colours for 7 days package before the relaunch on 30 January 2006.

The original dotless package lasted until May before the infamous warehouse look which lasted until 2006.

1 Like

I remember reading either on this thread or the old MS TV History thread on when precisely the relaunch occurred but have forgotten the exact details. Did it occur on midnight or the Early News bulletin or some time else on 30 January?

For Channel 9? The new logo and presentation commenced just before 6am leading into Today.

1 Like

It debuted as a watermark during the cricket before the full relaunch at 6am

I thought you were referring to a VO-less sponsor billboard, but it’s a mostly VO-less one with not much for the VO to say… Here’s a more recent example with an inverted structure:

(Credits to the god himself, @Zampakid)

In Melbourne the “old” 9 logo watermark continued right up until the end of the preceding program (one of the US news shows, maybe 20/20). Then there was a National Nine News promo with the new logo, then the new ID going into Today, introducing new co-host Jessica Rowe.

5 Likes

Yes - similar story in Brisbane I believe. The new format lasted until 18 January 1988 when it was replaced by 30 minute Seven Nightly News (using the Mission theme for the first time) staring at 6.30pm and followed by Carroll at Seven.

1 Like

It was second in Melbourne alone, mostly thanks to the AFL.

If it wasn’t for the Olympics, Border Security and Dancing with the Stars, Seven would have finished third nationally with only Perth saving it from more embarrassment. But even so, Seven were losing weeks to Nine in the west.