General TV History

Nine had banked on Underbelly to revive its fortunes after suffering its worst ratings year yet. No doubt they would’ve won more weeks (or more share) had the show not been banned from being aired in Victoria.

1 Like

I didn’t see this episode of underbelly as I was in overseas but what was the ratings like of this show in 2008?

1 Like

What about The Master hosted by Mark Beretta in 2006? Cancelled after one episode.

Possibly one of the strangest themes and graphics on television so far.

7 Likes

…and here is proof that my memory isn’t completely faulty - the MP4 has been archived too!

I don’t remember there being any other Sponsored Idents on SBS-TV before or since. Given the time period we’re talking about (ad breaks during programs on SBS were just starting to become a thing in 2007), it’s possible that the idea was abandoned due to complaints.

1 Like

Yep and the remaining produced episodes then went to air during the 2006-07 non-ratings period.

I think a clash with the soccer on SBS may have been partially to blame for The Master’s disastrous outing.

1 Like

Another blast from the past.

Seven’s Late News which aired immediately after the Sydney Olympics Opening Ceremony.

I presume this would’ve been produced out of HSV-7 as Jennifer Adams is the presenter.

Mike Amor reports on the Opening Ceremony. This is just before he was promoted to US Bureau Chief.

2 Likes

The master was a flop on 7 in 2006. As well as this, you may be right was cancelled after 4 episodes due to low ratings.

I’ve seen this clip. Should’ve done a bulletin at the Olympic Stadium.

1 Like

Actually, it was pulled after one episode, and the six remaining episodes went to air on Mondays at 7:30pm during December 2006-January 2007.

As far as I’m aware, Seven News Sydney was presented on-location from Homebush every night of the 2000 games. Melbourne had Anne Fulwood at Olympic Park, not sure about the other markets.

1 Like

I think David Johnston and Anne Fulwood took turns presenting from Sydney. David had one week, Anne had the other.

2 Likes

DJ was presenting from HSV. Ann anchoring from Olympic Park for the duration of the Games

Thanks for the clarification. The video I’ve seen online before was of Anne Fulwood presenting in Homebush and David in the studio during the first week, I guess the opposite happened during the 2nd week.

1 Like

Content from Channel Nine Perth 19/5/1998

Lineup + Ident:

Commonwealth Games Ident:

Promo Montage:

National Nine News/ACA Promo:

National Nine News Perth Newsbreak:

5 Likes

Good finds from archives.

My memory is scratchy but I don’t recall Nine airing the night session unless it was a big match?

ie “Regular programming will resume at the conclusion of the match”

2 Likes

In an Australian Digital TV multichannel milestone that I’m surprised hasn’t been mentioned yet, tonight (indeed, right at this very moment this post is going out) marks a full decade since the SBS World News Channel was relaunched as SBS TWO! If I’m not mistaken, it was also around this time that SBS-TV became SBS ONE…at least until the “ONE” was dropped from the main channel name in July 2015.

This channel of course, was relaunched as SBS2 with a major shift towards a younger audience in April 2013 and more recently in November 2016 as SBS VICELAND.

Once again, a post from @TelevisionAU’s brilliant website reminds us of Week 1’s programming lineup - nightly simulcasts of SBS World News Australia and the German series “112 Emergency” appearing to be among the more regularly scheduled offerings at the time:

4 Likes

And according to A Current Affair, these was no bingo.

2 Likes