General TV History

What if this had been implemented in Perth…

And you also got the feeling that Seven took on a more serious theme when the news was rebranded/revamped on August 30, 2004… it made me feel as if I was watching NBC.

How many weeks has Nine won over SEven in Perth in 2004? In 2004, Nine won 38/40 weeks nationally, TEN took out 2 weeks due to Big Brother and Australian Idol.

1 Like

No idea, though I would think a handful of weeks.

And in 2005, Nine struggled a lot in Perth due to the strong dominance of Seven in the west. Replacing The Price is Right with Coronation Street at 5:30PM timeslot did not work and this had a poor lead in to National Nine News at 6Pm. That was the year when Larry Emdur left Channel 9 to head off to the SEven Network to host Wheel of Fortune, replacing Steve Oemcke who struggled in 2004.
How many weeks has Seven won in Perth and what was the audience share at that time in 2005?

2 Likes

Speaking of The Price is Right, Seven’s revamp of the show in 2012, with Emdur at the helm, also backfired to the point where Seven Melbourne moved the show to 3:00pm later in the year.

I think it’s possible that Seven won nearly every week in the west in 2005, which was a huge year for Seven with American imports Desperate Housewives and Lost, as well as Lleyton Hewitt reaching the Australian Open final at the top of the year, resulting in early ratings success for the network (though Nine would still take out the year thanks to the two major footy codes).

IN 2005 how many wins has 7 won over channel 9 nationally?

I really would love to see 9News do this style of opener again. That Titlecard with the Yarra and the Crown flame towers going off would look wonderful now. It’s the best part of the 2004 look.
Update the globe elements and do a modern version of that shot and it’d be wonderful.

6 Likes

There was even a feature on A Current Affair with past winners on the 9 era venting their anger over the new show.

1 Like

Also who could forget that National Bingo Night show Seven aired in the back half of 2007?

4 Likes

Complaints about the show being rigged. National Bingo night only lasted 6 weeks before being axed due to poor ratings.

Plus there was also Shafted which lasted only one or two months.

One of the contestants on that show was Jan Moody, the first ever winner of The Mole (though I cannot find the exact episode on which she appeared on YouTube).

Does anyone remember how Channel Nine used to cover the US Open (tennis) when they had the full rights?

My understanding was that the local morning session would be shown in the Australian graveyard timeslot (1:00am), coverage would pause for the Today show and the evening session would air straight after Today. Is this correct?

Not just that but 10 had ConTest that aired on February 7 2007. This show lasted several episodes and was subsequently axed.
Nine also had The Power of 10 back in 2008 with Steven Jacobs as host. The first episode rated lower than 500k but the 2nd episode was a very dark night for Nine with 200 viewers nationally and losing the entire night to 7. This show was axed due to negative reviews. Nine had a bad 2008 with hole in the wall

1 Like

Nine’s first half of 2008 was much better, at one point in July that year, it had won more weeks than Seven.

But Seven picked up steam in the second half of 2008 and after the Beijing Olympics it lost just one more week for the year (week of November 17 - the same week as the Rugby League World Cup final which coincidentally was played exactly five years to the day after the 2003 Rugby World Cup final).

2 Likes

2008 was a good year for Seven. Beijing 2008, AFL, Tennis, melbourne cup.
Nine didn’t have a bad year with Origin, NRL, cricket, Underbelly.

1 Like

Nine had banked on Underbelly to revive its fortunes after suffering its worst ratings year yet. No doubt they would’ve won more weeks (or more share) had the show not been banned from being aired in Victoria.

1 Like

I didn’t see this episode of underbelly as I was in overseas but what was the ratings like of this show in 2008?

1 Like

What about The Master hosted by Mark Beretta in 2006? Cancelled after one episode.

Possibly one of the strangest themes and graphics on television so far.

7 Likes