General TV History

Come 1989, Capital Television would go through 2 logos in the one year.

32 am

59 am

4 Likes

AFAIK Prime in Orange/Dubbo/Wagga was same as Canberra/Wollongong except they may have done some local opt outs for sports coverage.

Even Prime in Albury (AMV4) was very much aligned to Seven’s schedule from 1989 even though aggregation in Victoria was still 3 years away. But they still opted out for sport and a handful of shows like 60 Minutes, which got bumped to a late night timeslot.

2 Likes

Speaking from personal experience growing up. I grew up in an area where the main signal was NEN9 but we also got a signal from CWN6. We had a duel antenna system with a switcher for the antennas and could pick and choose from either. ABUN 7 would cause a little interference with CWN6 but it was still quite watchable. After Prime took over NEN there was a period of a couple of years before aggregation where this was pretty pointless as both CWN & NEN had aligned themselves with the 7 network. After aggregation in southern NSW we put up an UHF antenna with a diplexer for WIN & CTC whilst watching the ABC & NEN on VHF abandoning our reception of CWN6. 3 years later with the Northern NSW aggregation WIN & CTC (UHF 32 & 35) got harder to receive with NBN & NRN launching on 31 & 34 from Mt Dowe. We did persist with the dwell antenna system for a few months or so but did abandon this and swung the UHF Antenna around for Mt Dowe and stopped watching WIN & CTC in exchange for NBN & NRN (NBN did launch about 3 months before NRN finally got a signal to air off Mt Dowe)

6 Likes

Yep. This was really anoying that Prime did fully align all stations to the 7 Network for the Southern NSW aggregation. AMV4 & NEN/ECN we’re basically fully 7 with the exception of One Day Cricket and the Rugby Leauge match of the round on Sunday for NEN/ECN. For alot of households this was the catalyst for chasing fringe reception from WIN & CTC (There was a bit of a boom on huge gain UHF antennas & booster systems in Tamworth, Gunnedah & Narrabri regions) & got to the point you saw a huge UHF System pointing towards the Warrambungles on 1 in every 3 houses

4 Likes

Peter Mitchell (form GTV9) and Jennifer Keyte (from ATV10) I believe started on air very much the same time together. It would be nice if they could announce something on air this week to acknowledge the occasion.

This would have been one of Peter Mitchell’s first bulletins with Seven News Melbourne (30 years ago).

@ 1.30 in.

As posted above Jennifer Keyte’s first bulletin with Seven Melbourne

1 Like

Thanks, never realised NRTV was delayed into the Upper Namoi.

So by the sound of things, Newcastle was the only Northern NSW market to get full aggregation on 31/12/1991 with the others only getting NBN as a new channel from that day until around April 1992 when they finally had all three?

From what I remember NEN & NBN went to air across the whole footprint from day 1. NRN did need more time thou

1 Like

Another reason I stuck with WIN across the first few months was NBN only had a mono Audio feed from TCN (local audio was in steteo) whilst audio was in full stereo on WIN out of TCN

1 Like

On that subject. When NRTV did launch it didn’t even have stereo audio at all & took around 12 months before that was upgraded

2 Likes

I’m sure NEN didn’t go to air from Coffs to Lismore until 30th April 1992.

And Albury-Wodonga/North East VIC were the only Victorian market to get full aggregation on 1/01/1992, only because Prime was the “home station”. Prime did not start transmission in Shepparton and Bendigo until 14/02/1992, and others a little bit later on.

1 Like

Someone I used to know who was living in Tamworth at the time of aggregation told me some years ago because of the delay in getting NRTV into the region, Capital was transmitted from Mount Dowe as an interim measure until NRTV could start. That didn’t sound right to me at all. I think he may been watching Capital from Mount Cenn Cruiach instead.

2 Likes

Correct

1 Like

Actully this made me think about something that happend in Tamworth between the Southern & Northern NSW aggregation. Channel 10 had the Leauge Coverage at the time and I think it may have been a city/country game being played & televised from Scully Park Tamworth so Network 10 put up promo signs for Capital TV as there was no local 10 affiliate

3 Likes

yes, Prime didnt start broadcasting until around Easter in 1992… I remember that NRTV TV dropped regular programs for the Australian Open Tennis in that year

2 Likes

Weren’t NRTV one of the stations that wanted to broadcast a second channel instead of TV aggregation?

Most regional stations wanted to do that. Let’s bring this out again… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

And yes, most offered to help install SBS as well, so regional viewers had access to 4 TV stations.

1 Like

and Southern Cross in Victoria also dropped regular Ten programming for the Australian Open Tennis in 1992, albeit just the Womens and Mens singles finals. Living in Shepparton as a big tennis fan at the time I was a bit pissed off about no coverage due to no Prime TV on air as yet, I was jealous of those in Shepp who could receive Prime via AMV4 as they got the full tennis coverage.

1 Like