General News Events - Coverage Discussion

Agree - it’s hysterical reporting and not worthy of the attention it’s getting but I suppose they’re trying to capitalise off Nepal and chopper crashes.

3 Likes

I agree - although there was at one point 100k tracking it on Flight Radar. And Qantas apparently wasn’t forthcoming on comms around what was going on/weren’t downplaying it.

3 Likes

Lots of aviation enthusiasts out there.

And Qantas apparently wasn’t forthcoming on comms around what was going on/weren’t downplaying it.

I don’t imagine they would provide a running commentary until the issue was resolved.

I might’ve been one of them!

2 Likes

It’s a high interest topic with live pictures and an easy place to get reporter to cover the story. Nine’s Twitter feed had 1,000 watching. Lead item on Seven’s Sydney 4pm news where the report went for 2 minutes.

News channals have gone into more detail with Sky onto aviation experts etc.

2 Likes

134,000 according to this screen grab at landing.

1 Like

“Grave fears” - honestly seriously. Come on

The 737 can fly with one engine. No one was in danger

7 Likes

Looks like they may have deleted the tweet. Deserved.

1 Like

Did you see the Emergency response though? Wow.

I’d say the key learning from today is that the media should be told even less.

If there is a real active emergency in the sky, surely people understand that media briefings are not the airlines priority in that moment.

3 Likes

Unfortunately when all that data is open online - that simply is unrealistic

Reminds me of this tweet the day of the Lindt Siege

https://twitter.com/silkcharm/status/544279026328555520?lang=en

4 Likes

Cannot believe this is still up.

3 Likes

Is it? just because you can see part of a story, doesn’t mean you are entitled to know the full story if it is inappropriately early to report it.
and it definitely doesn’t give the media permission to fill the gaps with whatever they want.

1 Like

And yet Geoffry Thomas continues to get airtime…

This is someone who has form for shit posting, despite her job being a SocMed expert - Exhibit B

1 Like

What was she inferring with this tweet?

Basically that LindtCafeAus wasn’t doing any comms on its Twitter account while several of their employees were being held hostage.
She was pilloried for it.

2 Likes

News.com.au is now claiming to have photos of the “broken engine”. The only problem… it’s the wrong engine and the photo of the “broken engine” is actually an open thrust reverser.
https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/fears-for-flight-after-mayday-called-for-qantas-flight-auckland-to-sydney/news-story/82bab4c70582ba4f7e7af0a8058fcbc2

7 Likes

Honestly. The inmates are running the asylum down there. Their KPI’s must be who can come up with the biggest bullshit on any given day.