General News Events - Coverage Discussion

Unfortunately - and don’t this as a slight Leo - news organisations have dug themselves a hole by doing rolling breaking coverage a lot so when they don’t it stands out. Not everything warrants rolling coverage and breaking schedules.

13 Likes

Sorry, but completely disagree. In perspective to news events, yes its a big news story but definitely not warranted for rolling coverage. Like I said, the ABC handled this news event with the correct amount of attention and depth required to be reported on last night.

6 Likes

oh i don’t disagree, i think a lot of the criticism i saw was the abc news channel not having much bar the ticker/flipper mentioning it every so often. obvious big different between a normal channel & a dedicated news channel - even the sky opinion shows mentioned it regularly

1 Like

Who Seven refused to identify until all QLD Police members had been notified.

1 Like

Sky showed those tributes at the same time as Seven identified the officers as well. Seemed to be agreed that when the morning media conference occurred names and images were released.

1 Like

News flash from Sydney seen live in Queensland

Also seen on ABC News and Sky

1 Like

I know I’m very late but were Sunrise and Today by any chance live in Queensland this morning because of this?

1 Like

No - delayed as usual.

2 Likes

A few things to take into consideration:

• the remoteness of the incident, meaning crews were not on the ground until late in the evening. The area is also a dead spot for reception, making communication and links difficult. Hardly ideal for rolling coverage.
  • a lack of vision from the scene and on socials. As a visual medium, it’s hard to do rolling coverage with little to no vision (viewers don’t want to see the same 5 second shots on repeat a thousand times). It was also pitch black, so no aerials.
  • no offical information until 10.30pm AEST, until then it’s speculation and unconfirmed reports. No developments from the time it happened to the time the press conference was held.
  • as an unfolding police situation with offenders at large, you need to be careful what you show and say. You never know if they’re watching and getting intel on the police operation.
12 Likes

Brisbane tonight

Later

6pm

Later

3 Likes

Front pages of The Courier-Mail yesterday and today

Front page of Herald Sun today

Front page of The Daily Telegraph today

1 Like

I thought that Commissioner Katarina Carroll’s interviews over the last couple of days have all been amazing. She has really been able to convey the human side to the tragedy. She must have done dozens of interviews just yesterday, most of them live.

5 Likes

This is so relevant, especially when the Queen passed away and the rolling coverage was almost pointless when they were no official updates for an extended time period.

2 Likes

Weren’t there also some rule changes when the Lindt cafe siege happened that prevent media from doing rolling coverage in situations like this? I could be wrong though.

yeah but there were rolling cameras right outside

1 Like

Sorry Probably should have said "due to the Lindt cafe siege’'. But either way, if the rule was in place before the Lindt cafe then I couldn’t have seen rolling coverage happening.

1 Like

100%! This is exactly why there wasn’t rolling coverage of it, simply wasn’t enough elements to warrant it.

Im a strong believer in providing information however we all need to remember that this was an ongoing situation which required planning and vision and commentary from the site or about the site could hinder, or delay the amazing work that the police and emergency services need to contend with.

It is also incredibly important to also remember that loss of life at anytime of the year, especially this time of year is incredibly sad and dignity needs to be upheld (especially with the localised promos), families, friends and communities are morning loss and we all need to remember that and provide a little space and context within the situation.

Information can be provided, after families are informed and not by a 24/7 news cycle. The exclusion zone was in place for the community and they should be provided information if required to keep them safe, the rest can be informed when its safe and after families are told.

3 Likes

Queensland Police have announced a memorial service to be held next Wednesday at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre for the two officers killed in the incident.

Back in 2017, ABC, Seven and Nine had live coverage of the funeral of Senior Constable Brett Forte, who was fatally shot on duty. One would assume this event may also see similar coverage, should the Queensland Police Service and families allow the media to film these proceedings.

1 Like

Remembrance fund has been established; Seven’s spot includes the neighbour who was shot; Nine’s doesn’t:

2 Likes