Freeview FV

MEDIA RELEASE

7 June 2019

Freeview CEO Liz Ross resigns after eight years at the helm

Freeview, Australia’s free-to-air aggregated television platform, today announced its CEO Liz Ross has decided to step down from the role after close to eight years of service.

Freeview was established in 2008 by ABC, Nine, Seven, SBS and 10 to market, at that time, the new digital free-to-air channels and help Australians transition from analogue to digital broadcast. Liz Ross came in to Freeview in 2011 to build a world-leading aggregated brand, products and platform.

Over the last decade Freeview has introduced a number of aggregated free-to air-products including hybrid Broadband Broadcast platform HbbTV* and Freeview’s digital platforms on Apple TV, Chromecast, mobile and web. Freeview has also been recognised internationally through a range of prestigious awards including Best Enhanced TV Service at the International Interactive TV Awards for Freeview Plus; and the International Grand Prix and Winner, Best TV/Video Service at the Connie Awards*.

Ross said: “I am very proud of the achievements, innovations and the strategic evolution of Freeview over the last eight years under my leadership. We’ve worked hard to ensure that every Freeview product is providing aggregated live and catch-up services for all Australian consumers. I am happy to say that Freeview now leads the world with a product suite unmatched by any other FTA industry.”

Freeview’s Chair, ABC Chief Digital & Information Officer Helen Clifton said: “On behalf of the Board of Freeview we would like to thank Liz for her commitment to and passion for our industry. Liz has built Freeview into a well-recognised Australian entertainment brand. She has shown great leadership in bringing free-to-air broadcasters together to create a go-to platform for viewers looking for the best Australian and international content across our channels. Freeview will shortly begin a search for a new CEO to drive the next phase of growth for Freeview, continue to provide great access for viewers, and further unlock the value of the Freeview brand and HbbTV in this market.

“Former Free TV CEO Julie Flynn has kindly agreed to step in to an acting role to ensure it is business as usual while the Board conducts a search for a replacement for Liz. Julie was involved at the outset of Freeview so we will be in safe hands.”

I have to agree with you.
it’s a really sleak app though but it has its issues.
I hate how the fact that with Nine you have to be redirected to the Nine Now app to view the channel, it’s slightly annoying. I thought the whole point would b e easier to have all access to the channels online in one place on your phone or tablet.

1 Like

That’s what I thought, too. It would be really nice if the FV app was a legitimate single app without the need of signing up elsewhere or being redirected. The intention is there, but none of the broadcasters really want to mix their content with others on a level like Netflix.

5 Likes

Freeview Apps all seem to simulcast in HD, but none have an HD watermark. I watch via VPN in the States. Does anyone know why this is? Are the apps streaming in 1080 or a lower resolution? I just learned a few days ago that your SD is 576, which is a lot sharper than our SD which is 480 (also 4:3)

I guess it’s possible I am watching SD via the freeview app but don’t notice because the quality is much better than I’m used to. On chromecast it’s hard to tell.

1 Like

As far as I know, all streams from Nine and most from SBS are in HD 720p maximum. The rest of them from Seven, Ten and ABC still only stream in SD with Seven being the lowest resolution at 504p. So that’s probably why you don’t see any HD watermarks!

That would be why. Hopefully we’ll see Seven’s streams in 720p soon since they showed us through leaked streams that they are capable of doing it.

2 Likes

The interesting thing here though, is that ten used to show an HD watermark and so does SBS. So I guess they are showing the HD stream compressed? Whereas the rest are showing the SD streams I guess? Thanks btw!

For some reason I can watch ABC live on the Freeview App. It will only redirect me sometimes if it’s an ABC Comedy show. On Freeview it will say “sorry this program is not streaming” but then you go to iView and it is.

Seven, Nine and SBS appear to be showing the HD source. I presume Seven and Nine have playouts where the HD watermark is added further down the chain (judging by what we see on-air here). SBS probably adds the HD watermark earlier which would be why we see the HD watermark on the stream, or they do it the same way as Seven and Nine except the stream is output later.

10 could be streaming from HD too. They have recently had some kind of upgrade with HD promos showing up recently and proper full time state versions of Peach and Bold now available. Also, they stopped HD watermarking last year.

3 Likes

Watched 10’s Rugby World Cup coverage on Saturday through the app and the live HD watermark was visible so think they’re using their HD source as well

2 Likes

Thanks so much for updating this. I noticed that because I watch on Chromecast, with Google Home it’s in 1080 but 50hz instead of 60hz which is what I usually see on HD channels via my cable provider. But it seems that even the other channels like GEM, GO!, 10 Peach are also in HD, or my eyes are just really bad at knowing the difference. I did do a side by side of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert on 10play and on CBS on Demand and it does look sharper on CBS on Demand, but not sure if that’s the 60hz vs 50hz or 576 vs 1080 or even streaming from Australia vs on demand from my cable company in America.

Robin Parkes, who was the inaugural CEO of Freeview, has died aged 54 following a battle with brain cancer.

Freeview providing the gateway to Australia’s best free-to-air content

Freeview Australia today announced a renewed focus on its product suite to ensure all Australians can easily search and discover the best free-to-air content in one place.

Freeview Chair, Helen Clifton, described the move as a great boost for viewers, especially as they spend more time at home to limit the spread of COVID-19.

“The COVID-19 crisis has highlighted Australian viewers’ strong attachment to our free-to-air broadcasters – the ABC, SBS, Seven, Nine and 10 – which have all seen strong growth in viewing on their broadcast and digital platforms.

“Given diversified viewing habits, the Board of Freeview began a detailed review in the months before the pandemic and that work has since accelerated to redefine the role of Freeview so that it gives viewers an easy, convenient and aggregated way to discover and experience all our great content – and all for free.

“We are very excited that Freeview will be supported by our free-to-air broadcasters to deliver enhanced services to both viewers and broadcasters.”

Findings from the review include a sharper focus on the following initiatives:

• An improved Freeview service with greater search and discovery on the ‘big screen’ – TV and laptops.

• An enhanced Freeview website to promote the huge breadth of free-to-air content, linking viewers to content on individual broadcaster apps.

The Freeview mobile app will continue to provide a TV Guide and access to content through individual broadcaster apps.

The changes will be delivered throughout 2020.

As part of the review, it has been agreed that Free TV Australia will provide management oversight of Freeview through Free TV CEO, Bridget Fair and Finance Director, Camryn Turner.

“I look forward to working with Helen and the Freeview Board to help ensure that Freeview is a strong contributor to the range of free-to-air broadcast and digital services,” Ms Fair said.

Ms Clifton offered her thanks on behalf of the Freeview Board to the Acting Freeview CEO, Julie Flynn, who has guided the Board’s considerations. Ms Flynn will work with Free TV to transition to the new management structure.

1 Like

That story is about the Freeview HbbTV app not the Freeview FV mobile phone app.

The app will drop the FV and carry the new Freeview branding.

2 Likes

Good. The FV branding was fugly.

3 Likes

Looks like Freeview Australia are now using the same logo as their UK equivalent.

2 Likes

Yep. New logo was spotted at the launch of Freeview FV. Freeview launched their original HBB TV service a few months before the launch of Netflix in Australia.

1 Like

So will existing TVs get a software update? I only get 7 abc and sbs on my Freeview and it’s sluggish as hell.

Mine did yesterday. It’s horrible though.

When you change channel it takes up the top third and lower third of the TV. I disabled it on my TV and this one is a 2021 Sony model.