Foxtel

Disney owns 20th Century Fox - and it seems they are a little unhappy about the word “fox” - in case it aligns them with the Murdoch media empire.

3 Likes

Perhaps Disney should change the name of the studio back to “20th Century Pictures” the original studio in the mid-30’s which merged with Fox Film Corporation to form 20th Century-Fox.

2 Likes

Or maybe just change it to Disney Studios.

They want a company they can release more adult pictures through without the Disney name

2 Likes

Disney did have such a studio: Touchstone Pictures and its offshoots such as Hollywood Pictures. But it was phased out in the last ten years.

1 Like

Yep used to

Interesting they mention they’re trying to renegotiate content with Viacom. If I was ViacomCBS I wouldn’t be resign with foxtel. They can push all the content on to all access.
Same goes with HBO which has 3 and half years left with foxtel. Shut them out and launch HBO max here in Australia. I would also like to see FX not renew with foxtel after their 5 year deal lapses and all that content aligned with whatever Disney plans to do out here with Hulu. I think a Hulu on Stan section would be good.

If all that would pan out then foxtels business model and potential offering would be crushed.

2 Likes

Did you have Optus Vision shares once upon a time or something? Your posts on anything to do with Foxtel or its services always come across as absolutely deluded and/or angry.

3 Likes

I don’t know how long HBO’s current contract with Foxtel is for, so thanks for the indication.
HBO must have supplied programs to Foxtel for the past 15? 18? 20 years?

I think that applies to most of his posts about everything. :thinking:

3 Likes

My own views on the Murdochs aside, of all of those outcomes the only one I’d think is possible, perhaps likely to happen, is HBO Max launching domestically.

The size of the SVOD market in Australia has me doubting whether Hulu will have a chance at success here long-term. Until that happens, and without any viable alternative (Stan, Fetch) it’d be a daft move to pull all Disney (especially ex-Fox) content off Foxtel. I’d guess instead that FX will disappear in time and be replaced by another Fox branded channel with similar content.

I thought it was well established that Foxtel lives and dies by sport; the success of Kayo is undoubtedly a double-edged sword, and as sporting codes demand more money for sports rights, Foxtel need alternative sources of revenue. The HBO deal, especially off the back of Game of Thrones, is undoubtedly one of the more successful examples. The rest may be filler, but if it keeps people subscribing than it’s filler worth holding onto.

3 Likes

Fully agree. All Access is very bare bones and would benefit greatly from all Viacom assets. It’s not like Foxtel doesn’t have enough content deals anyway. They don’t need anymore.

No I subscribe to foxtel our of necessity. If I could get rid of it I would. Just hate news Corp and would enjoy seeing their demise or at least reduction of the market power.

3 Likes

More like 10 years? HBO programming was still very much part of FTA output deals (particularly with Nine) right through the 2000s.

1 Like
1 Like

FIRE FIGHT AUSTRALIA

LIVE AND IN FULL NATIONWIDE, AD-FREE AND IN 4K ULTRA HD

Sunday 16 February at 1.00pm AEDT

Foxtel’s broadcast to support further donations for bushfire relief and recovery

Foxtel, in conjunction with TEG Dainty and TEG Live, today announced it will broadcast FIRE FIGHT AUSTRALIA live from ANZ Stadium from 1.00pm AEDT on Sunday, February 16, as a spectacular line-up of local and international artists come together to raise money for national bushfire relief.

The sell-out concert will be available to watch live and in full on FOX8 HD and delivered in Dolby Digital, and will be simulcast on music channel [V]. This history-making music event will also be available exclusively for Foxtel subscribers in 4K ULTRA HD – an Australian first – broadcast live on one of Foxtel’s dedicated 4K ULTRA HD channels.

The entire concert will also be available to stream live on Foxtel Now and Foxtel GO.

Throughout the broadcast, viewers will be encouraged to donate via www.firefightaustralia.com to support those whose lives have been impacted by the worst bushfire season in living memory. Donations will go to the Foundation for Rural & Regional Renewal’s Fire Fight Fund*.

Foxtel CEO Patrick Delany said: “We are incredibly pleased to be part of this amazing effort by the entertainment industry, our partners TEG Dainty, TEG Live and Seven, and all of the local and international artists who have come together to provide a helping hand to communities affected by the devastating bushfires Australia is continuing to experience.

“Helping drive donations through our broadcast is another way Foxtel can show its support for people impacted by the fires.”

Foxtel’s broadcast of FIRE FIGHT AUSTRALIA will be hosted from a purpose built studio within Sydney’s iconic ANZ Stadium, and feature incredible behind the scenes backstage access and one on one interviews with the legendary artists. Hosts and special guests include Peter Stefanovic , Laura Jayes , Rove McManus , Matt Shirvington , Deborah Hutton , Jason Dundas , Hannah Hollis , Shaynna Blaze and Eddie McGuire .

FIRE FIGHT AUSTRALIA will be headlined by rock legends Queen + Adam Lambert , who will be joined by a stellar line-up of international talent including global superstar Michael Bublé , Grammy award winning Canadian singer songwriter k.d. lang and Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Famer Alice Cooper.

These international artists will appear alongside a cavalcade of Australian music industry heavy weights including 5 Seconds of Summer , Amy Shark , Baker Boy , Conrad Sewell , Daryl Braithwaite , Delta Goodrem, Grinspoon , Guy Sebastian , Hilltop Hoods , ICEHOUSE, Illy, Jessica Mauboy , John Farnham, Lee Kernaghan , Olivia Newton-John, Peking Duk, Pete Murray, Tina Arena and William Barton .

FIRE FIGHT AUSTRALIA will be hosted by writer, actor and comedian Celeste Barber – who has already raised more than $50 million towards bushfire relief through her own record-breaking online appeal.

Foxtel’s coverage of FIRE FIGHT AUSTRALIA will be live and in full on FOX8, [V] and available in 4K ULTRA HD on Sunday February 16 from the following times: 1.00pm in NSW, VIC and TAS; 12.30pm in SA; 12.00pm in QLD and 10.00am in WA. The concert will also be available to stream live on Foxtel Now and Foxtel GO.

Further special guests on Foxtel’s history-making broadcast will be announced in the coming days.

1 Like

3 Likes

This is a significant channel loss for Foxtel

6 Likes