4K Broadcasting

With HD we reached “retina resolution” for the first time which is why it was more noticeable going from SD to HD.

4K’s only advantage is in larger screen sizes. There’s a reason there is no 4K televisions smaller than about 50 inches. There is no resolution advantage to the human retina on these smaller screen sizes when viewed from the seated distance in a standard lounge room.

2 Likes

Oh but there is.
Hisense sell a 43" 4K TV, which Im getting for my room soon :wink:

1 Like

Sorry i know this is an old post, how did you manually tune your tv into a frequency, I can’t get nether of mine to do it.

212.5MHz is the centre frequency of DTV channel 10 (VHF Band III).

You don’t necessarily need to scan a frequency but on most TVs you should be able to manually scan a DTV channel 6-12, 28-69.

1 Like

I know that people use these ~40" 4K TVs as computer monitors for working on documents/programming. They’re basically the same as having four standard sized monitors.

2 Likes

FIRE FIGHT AUSTRALIA

LIVE AND IN FULL NATIONWIDE, AD-FREE AND IN 4K ULTRA HD

The sell-out concert will be available to watch live and in full on FOX8 HD and delivered in Dolby Digital , and will be simulcast on music channel [V] . This history-making music event will also be available exclusively for Foxtel subscribers in 4K ULTRA HD – an Australian first – broadcast live on one of Foxtel’s dedicated 4K ULTRA HD channels.

It will be in HDR though , so that will be a difference that should be noticed despite the upscaling.

2 Likes

Will the channel be available in Australia though (this article refers to the US)?
2 Likes

In the US, cable operator, Comcast has will offer an extensive lineup of programming in 4K, including college football, NFL games, baseball’s playoffs and World Series.

Included 28 college football games, 38 English Premier League soccer games, 11 NFL Thursday Night Football games, 14 MLB playoff and World Series games, and US Open golf.

2 Likes

Doctor Who special Revolution of the Daleks was shown on BBC iPlayer in 4K resolution.

1 Like

Have just noticed Samsung TV plus, not bad for a freebie

4 Likes

This started a few months ago and it’s expanding its line up quit fast. Will be interesting to see how big the line up gets.

3 Likes

Any chance for DVB-T test transmission for 4K: an excitement for free-to-air broadcasters ABC, SBS and Nine to get 4K as part of digital TV rollout in the next Federal Budget this year.

2 Likes

No.

2 Likes

If ever there was going to be 4k for FTA, it would be for the Tokyo Olympics. Instead they sold it to Optus? lol

4k will never see the light of day on terrestrial tv.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say NEVER.

But only if we move to DVB-T2 and H.265 codecs.
And then only a chance of it happening.

3 Likes

US centric view of why few sports are in 4k

1 Like

They need to do something to catch up with UHD/4K media. Currently watching 9’s HD channel and Grease is on… it looks like barely upscaled SD quality. Coming from someone that’s recently sampled the bluray version and also the official 4K UHD disc. It’s sad seeing what the digital quality “could” be. But networks don’t want to spend the money for better quality broadcast transmissions.

A 4K version of the FTA channels would be an obvious value add for part of Stan/Paramount+ and whenever Seven bother…

Media release:

1 Like