Foxtel 4K

3 Likes

Fox Sports’ live coverage of the upcoming Suncorp Super Netball season will be available in 4K for the very first time.

4 Likes

This going to sound like a really stupid question but has anyone ever tried typing in the number in for one of the new fox sports 4k channels on a non-4k supported Foxtel STB just to see what happens lol.

1 Like

Obviously nothing would happen…

Foxtel has finally updated the upcoming AFL games on the IQ5 home screen. And as reported, thursdays opener between Richmond v Carlton is in 4k on 592 even though its a Channel 7 game. (and Fridays too!)

It will be fascinating how this is shown if using CH7 onscreen graphics / score boxes etc or a clean feed where Fox put there own score boxes / graphics etc like they do on their Ch9 NRL match simulcast’s.

4 Likes

It’ll be the Seven feed. Seven just doesn’t broadcast it in 4K, but it is produced in it.

1 Like

I suspect a lot of the Seven broadcast will still be produced in HD such as the pre and post-match and half time segments.

But these don’t even air on Fox so that’s probably OK. As long as they get the in-match vision in 4K direct from the NEP truck rather than via Seven it should be 4K.

I’m interested in this too. I wonder if it’ll be 4K quality vision but with Seven’s HD graphics over the top. The graphics are designed by Seven but are actually operated and produced within the NEP production chain so they may be re-rendered for 4K already if NEP are operating their broadcast chain solely in 4K now even if the broadcaster doesn’t broadcast in HD.

3 Likes

AFL pre-match in 4k:

Will see if the game is also in 4k.

5 Likes

Seven’s coverage in 4k:

6 Likes
2 Likes

The first two SSN clashes to be shown in 4K will be West Coast Fever v Melbourne Vixens (Saturday evening) and Sunshine Coast Lightning v Giants Netball (Sunday afternoon).

1 Like

For some reason goal replays are not shown, the AFL logo sting appears but stays on the live pictures.
Doesn’t seem to affect other replays.

4 Likes

No replays on 4K

3 Likes

Is 4k not showing spider cam either?

3 Likes

The audio feed being piped in from ch7 is all types of weird if you have the IQ5 (satellite) in Dolby surround audio mode. They are piping the commentary into the Left and right channels with the centre channel having mainly crowd / background noise. It is very hollow as said above.

The Fox based segments are coming in fine though.

Apart from that the picture is beautiful :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looks like they’ve fixed the replay issue. I imagine the macro to put the replay source to line wasn’t setup properly for the 4K output from the vision mixer.

2 Likes

After goal replays now being shown. Audio still :poop:

3 Likes

Spidercam is working now as well

4 Likes

I’ll be interested to see on Saturday night if they’ve fixed the live score from the other game graphic. It has never worked properly on the 4K channels, despite working on 504 and 503.

4 Likes

It is quite common during F1 for the audio to be out of sync with pictures, enough for it to be noticeable. It’ll be fine for the parts produced by Sky, but as soon as they switch the feed to the FOM supplied one for the start of a session, that’s when the delay starts.

In general, there always seem to be glitches with most of the content they show in 4K. It’s been two years, how are these mistakes still happening?

1 Like