Fox Sports

6-part series Jeff Fenech: The Lost Tapes premieres tonight at 7pm AEDT on Fox Sports 508. In the series, the three-time world boxing champion sits down with Main Event boxing host Ben Damon to rewatch his action-packed fights and relive the highs and lows of an incredible life and career, including the controversial 1991 draw with Azumah Nelson, which Fenech touched on during his recent appearance on The Front Bar on Seven.

2 Likes

A key broadcast renewal for Fox.

1 Like

No news on the numbers of years. But a shorter 2 year extension through to 2024 would put it in line with most of Europe.

3 Likes

I find it strange they announced the new deal after the first race of the 2022 F1 season, instead of before the start of the season.

1 Like

F1TV Pro for Foxtel subscriptions is a very nice addition indeed - hopefully they can provide a way for subscribers to access it via other means before the IQ integration next year though!

1 Like

What a shame that fox get another renewal. This is ridiculous that this organization continues to monopolize premium sport. When will these pathetic murdochs who overcharge for everything disappear with their toxicity.

I wish Nine and Stan Sport got the rights to F1. Stan can provide ad-free coverage and classic races like what they do with their sports and Nine could air all the big events including the Australian GP

2 Likes

So you want F1 not to accept the (presumably) highest or most compelling bid just because you don’t like Fox?

2 Likes

It’s an announcement that is remarkably thin on detail.
Several questions that come out of this:

1. When does the contract expire?
  2. Will F1TV be locked to Foxtel and possibly Kayo customers only or will it be open to standalone subscriptions?
  3. Is the F1TV product referenced the same as F1 TV Pro overseas (including the new commentary team and coverage of pre season testing)?
  4. Will this F1TV product be locked to iQ boxes only and withdrawn from other platforms?
  5. What is the free to air component that will be taken to market (if at all)?
2 Likes

Foxtel’s F1 deal is similar to its agreement with HBO, which is multi-year and has been renewed several times. Because the duration is not specified, Foxtel’s rivals are left in the dark and have little chance of initiating discussions with WarnerMedia (parent company of HBO) on any new program deal.

1 Like

We don’t know the details. Was this an extension? How long? Did it go to tender?

The sport stranglehold fox have needs to be broken. Stand/nine have made a start but more is needed.

1 Like

Foxtel’s coverage of F1 is excellent, and i say this as an F1 fan. I know it comes from Sky in the UK, but carrying live practice, quali and the race, along with the F1 show is great. if i had any criticism it was that they did not cover the Bahrain test days.

Ive been watching F1 since around 2000, and back than 9’s coverage was abysmal - you’d get tape delayed races, races where they throw to the adds and come back and play the same segment we’d just seen, have a newsbreak with 10 laps to go and reveal the winner, quali was a 60 second highlights package before the race.

10’s was better - least we got qualifying and races were generally live, but foxtel’s coverage is great and i’m happy for them to keep it, especilly because if they switched i’d have to shell out more for that on top of foxtel

1 Like

Really? You are doing a comparison between Apple and Banana.

Nine at the turn of the century was a single station, that has a commercial agreement with advertisers.

At the time of the F1’s back in early 2000, CSI and other shows were number 1 for nine, which was always going to be shown instead of F1.

Fox, now like Stan and the other digital based suppliers has opportunity that the likes of Nine/Seven/ten never had.

Their coverage isn’t their own, they just press copy, paste, skysports F1 UK each and every race, with no local attributes at all, unlike their MotoGP coverage.

Start to compare the F1 coverage once and if it heads to another network, not with Nine/ten from a era of non digital channels, nor online.

3 Likes

I agree, however yes the lack of testing coverage has been disappointing (although it is promising this might be addressed with the new deal).

Sky’s coverage, especially the pre and post race shoulder coverage, has become markedly worse in recent years, with too much of a focus on one man (Lewis). I don’t mind Lewis but the bias has become blatantly obvious.

Ideally I’d love to see Fox do their own pre and post race and cross to Sky for the race only as the race coverage with Croft and Brundle is by far the best part of the coverage (along with Brundle’s grid walk).

I think many long term F1 fans would still hold a grudge against Channel 9 even though their coverage was 20 years ago. To be fair I don’t reckon Channel Ten was all that much better, there were a lot of broken promises and it took until 2007 for full qualifying to be covered at all.

1 Like

it was the little errors that irked me the most - as i said - giving away a winner in a newsbreak with 10 laps to go. going to an advert, jumping back 7 laps and playing what we had just seen, than skipping the missed part entirely. if it felt like they made an effort and cared it would have alleviated some of the bigger issues but it didn’t.

1 Like

Foxtel Group partnership with Formula 1 hits top speed with new long-term rights deal

Multi-year rights extension sees every F1 practice, qualifying session and race to be shown live on Foxtel and Kayo exclusively (excluding the AGP)

• Australian-first integration of the F1TV app on Foxtel set top boxes

• 2022 Formula 1 season continues with Saudi Arabian Grand Prix this weekend

The Foxtel Group today announced a multi-year rights extension with Formula 1 that will see Foxtel and Kayo remain the exclusive home of Formula 1 in Australia[1] with live broadcast rights to every practice, qualifying session and race.

The new deal will continue to provide comprehensive coverage for Foxtel and Kayo plus additional F1 bonus action providing fans with the most complete F1 experience ever, including live feeds, special supporting content and every race in 4K UHD on Foxtel.

Formula 1 in Australia has one of the fastest-growing fan bases driven by the rapid growth of younger audiences streaming on Kayo. The 2021 season saw a 31% increase in audiences watching on Foxtel and streaming on Foxtel Now, Foxtel GO and Kayo with eight of the top ten the most viewed F1 races in subscription television history in 2021. Highlights included the Italian Grand Prix at Monza won by Daniel Riccardo with an average audience of 467,000 viewers and the thrilling final race of the season in Abu Dhabi with an average audience of 437,000.

In a further win for subscribers, Foxtel will integrate the innovative F1TV app into its set top boxes as part of an Australian-first initiative. The F1TV app will give F1 fans an even richer experience with access to multiple live in-race feeds, comprehensive live timing data, highlights and exclusive programming on and off the track. It will be available to Foxtel subscribers free of charge from early 2023 and will also include;

Entertainment shows including Technical Analysis and Paddock Live, F1 documentaries and short-form features

Past event highlights and interstitials and archives of races.

Patrick Delany, Foxtel Group CEO, said: “This new partnership with Formula 1 takes our coverage to the next level for fans and together with Supercars and MotoGP, confirms Foxtel and Kayo as the home of the very best in Australian and international motorsport.

“Australian fans are embracing F1 like never before with F1 delivering the fastest audience growth of any sport across Foxtel and Kayo. Kayo, in particular, has absolutely super-charged audience growth with younger audiences and each Grand Prix now regularly sees in excess of 200,000 fans streaming on Kayo. This is a very exciting moment for us ahead of the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix this weekend.

“It’s a great story for Foxtel too. Every race in 4K UHD is incredible, and integrating the F1TV app onto Foxtel set top boxes offers subscribers even more access to all the F1 action they love, all in one place.”

Ian Holmes, Director of Media Rights and Content Creation, Formula 1, said:

“We’re delighted to be extending and expanding our partnership with the Foxtel Group so that our fans in Australia can continue to enjoy comprehensive Formula 1 coverage, and the integration of the F1TV app for subscribers will provide even more access to the sport than ever before. Foxtel are a great partner for Formula 1, as we share the same passion to innovate and deliver spectacular racing to our fanbase. F1 is exciting and dramatic, and it’s fantastic that our sport continues to grow thanks to an incredible 2021 season and dedicated, top-quality broadcasting.

Fans are becoming increasingly engaged with F1 and such audience growth, in particular among younger fans, shows that the appetite for Formula 1 in Australia is huge. This is not just a testament to the thrilling nature of Formula 1 as a sport, but also a result of the Foxtel Group’s efforts in delivering that excitement to viewers. We look forward to seeing such dedicated coverage continue and cannot wait for the highly anticipated return of Formula 1 to Australia ahead of the Australian Grand Prix in two weeks’ time.”

Fox Sports is home of motorsport in Australia, and the only place fans can watch every race of Formula 1, Formula 2, Formula 3, MotoGP, WorldSBK, Supercars and NASCAR.

The 2022 Formula 1 season continues this weekend in Saudi Arabia with all of the action broadcast live and exclusive on Foxtel and Kayo, the home of motorsport.

[1] Exclusivity excludes the Australian Grand Prix which is also broadcast on a FTA network.

1 Like

We don’t always do with foreign deals. I’m sure Formula 1 are happy with the terms.

1 Like

Saudi Arabia - the only F1 circuit that only has left turns because no one has any rights

8 Likes

And?

Other than the content that Fox has produced around the Australian GP - they’ve never claimed that the content is their own efforts. Yeah it’s a little lazy they don’t produce their own F1 content (especially given it rates reasonably well), but this is no different to the myriad of other sports where they simply take a feed from another broadcaster (or sport)

I suspect this is deliberately vague on detail as we see a move to international streaming deals.

I believe they’re different products

For the Australian GP it should (its on the anti-siphoning list, but that seems to be treated more as a suggestion these days) - the remainder appears to be a subscription-exclusive

2 Likes

They’ll probably offer it to networks (for too much money), then make a big song and dance about them turning it down in the papers, then they’ll come out either the next day or a few days before the Aus GP and say “we’re saving Aussie F1 fans” and put it on Kayo Freebies.

2 Likes