Fox Cricket

Most of the main Test commentary team in action tonight at the Adelaide Oval for the first of three ODI’s between Aus and England, most sound disinterested in being there, Skull keeping it real!

5 Likes

This is the issue I had with them during the pre WC games. They sounded disinterested, boring, no energy.

Not good when you’re going for rights with CA.

4 Likes

It’s a tough one. You obviously feed off the crowd that’s there and their excitement, when that’s not there it feels hollow.

2 Likes

No one can dare complain about “Pizzagate” anymore. I’ve just sat through a good 30 minutes of Marks Howard and Waugh debating with the statistician and audio truck (neither of which we can hear) about what you call a group of bats (a colony in case you were wondering).

EDIT: and for those wondering, they did mention the wickets that fell. But only as if they were something they were forced to do. Very Triple M Rocks Cricket (just some guys having a chat while watching cricket), but that’s not what they’re there for.

2 Likes

Good point, but using the K. Packer philosophy, the game is never over.

Remember the commentators are the advert for the game, if the viewer thinks it’s boring cause a commentator can’t bring it to life, then they’ll switch off.

This article explains it perfectly, ruthless, but Kerry was in the busy to sell the game to advertisers and to do that the public needed to be awake.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/the-day-kerry-packer-tore-apart-nine-anchor-mark-nicholas/news-story/cfc3c2c52144460fe57ee225043ac864

3 Likes

Oh I completely agree - but ODIs never used to be played in front of a couple of thousand people. It’s on the broadcasters to elevate above that.

2 Likes

For games at Adelaide Oval, in Nov this is the average crowd.

So it’s nothing new, but the question should be asked to CA why is this series being played now and on a random Thursday.

When will they learn?

2 Likes

Packer would have fired all of these commentators other than Gilchrist, and also arguably sacked the producer who was responsible for all the hiring decisions. Can’t even imagine the horrendous bullying the mediocre Mark Howard would have been subjected to if he was unfortunate enough to work for Packer.

1 Like

I see your point, but that’s no excuse. The commentators role is to call the game, the crowd isn’t a part of the match, they’re there to spectate it. The commentary should reflect the match and when something happens that’s eventful, the box should erupt with noise. The clip I’ve seen tonight of Agar’s save on the boundary was a huge effort from him, with the most lacklustre commentary to go with it sadly.

3 Likes

Listen to this:

Commentators completely ignoring what’s going on.

1 Like

Looks like tonight’s WBBL game IS being hosted and called from the ground.

I’ve always had my suspicions that FOX host and call at least some games from the studio using monitors. Good to see that’s not always the case.

That’s Seven’s team calling from inside the stand - I recognise the silver cricket ball in the background.

Fox may have its own team elsewhere at North Sydney Oval.

6 Likes

Mate, these are Seven produced games…

Fox call all of theirs outside of Sydney off the tube, not that it matters as it’s shitty livestream quality.

4 Likes

Oh I thought FOX produced them all. Thanks.

1 Like

Nup. Technically none of it.

1 Like

I had to think twice when you said it like this, but yeeah this is pretty much it now.

1 Like

That’s 7’s game. They were at the ground for all the games they produced

4 Likes

Fox Cricket and Kayo will broadcast the Australian women’s T20 tour of India in December. All five matches will be played at Mumbai.

4 Likes

Brian Lara is part of the commentary team for the third ODI today.

3 Likes

Fox Cricket had its own commentary team (led by Mel Jones) for tonight’s WBBL Eliminator between Brisbane Heat and Hobart Hurricanes from Adelaide. Seven provided pictures and graphics.

I think similar arrangements will apply for Fox Cricket’s telecast of Challenger tomorrow (Adelaide Strikers v Brisbane Heat) and the final in Sydney on Saturday evening.

5 Likes