Fox Cricket

Good little fluff piece from News Corp there. But the I agree with the opening sentiments of the article in that both networks have assembled equally good teams. As a cricket fan it is hard to know what I will watch more, will probably flick between them to start with but the ad-break free coverage on Fox may win me over.

3 Likes

If you have Foxtel, it doesn’t make much sense to be then watching the cricket on Channel 7 when you’re paying $29 a month for ad free coverage of the cricket

The question for Foxtel is how many subscribers who pay primarily for the AFL/NRL coverage in Winter will continue their subscription for the Summer

3 Likes

Exactly & if you live in a area where Channel 7 is only available in SD, then there’s only one option Fox Cricket.

As a cricket and media enthusiast though I am interested to see how both present their coverage so I’ll still be flicking even though I pay for Foxtel. Obviously when the family are gathered on Boxing Day we’ll probably just leave it on Fox but when I’m home after work and watching on my own I’ll take in both.

4 Likes

I have foxtel primarally for motorsport and i normally call up after the Abu Dhabi GP and drop sports, but as a cricket lover i will not be doing so this year/

2 Likes

Evening all,

just got a note from my mate at foxtel,

foxtel are testing 4k coverage - and are aparently rolling this out for the launch of the cricket channel.

Sorry - just a quick look but I don’t seen any other comments on this…

time to upgrade my projector :grin:

6 Likes

If only it was $29 a month… try $70.

2 Likes

4K would be excellent, imagine the fee they’ll charge though!

Does your mate have an idea on when the channel will launch? You’d think it would have to be soon given the JLT One-Day Cup begins mid-September…

Not a bad idea to launch Fox Cricket in mid-September to give commentators and the crew some decent practice.

2 Likes

foxtel are testing 4k coverage - and are aparently rolling this out for the launch of the cricket channel.

I can confirm a 4K mux on the sat. started on the 25th. 12010 V Sr 29450 “Foxtel 4k” is new , DVB -S2 8PSK Fec 3/5 sid 23001 Vpid 1011 (Hevc) Apid 1014 AC3

6 Likes

Don’t know unfortunately… but you would think it would be for the ODI :slight_smile:

1 Like

There is also Pakistan v Australia in United Arab Emirates in October. Strangely though we still don’t have a schedule.

Has there been any announcement that the cricket coverage will be ad free? Fox Sports proudly proclaim that their footy coverage (AFL and NRL) has ‘no ad breaks during play’ but don’t extend the same courtesy to cricket fans. Fox Sports’ cricket coverage at the moment is fairly riddled with ads; they are screened almost at the end of every over as is the case on FTA. They often cut out the (excellent) analysis done by Sky Sports UK which appears in between some overs.

With all the stuffing around that occurs between overs these days, I can understand the temptation to squeeze in a few extra ads, but this isn’t an excuse for the current ad avalanche.

In one of Foxtel’s early releases:

1 Like

During play, between overs is not play. That is the break, so adverts than? Even sky has adverts every 3rd over, they use the same line, no adds during play. (Ref; I have been in the uk this summer watching the cricket).

Are we also going to see, the AFL add break light used, so seven can fit in all their adverts during the over break? Trial it in t/20, once India get a hold, they’ll see the potential money at the end of it and bring it in across the game? :face_with_hand_over_mouth::thinking:

FOX will probably run ads every 3 or 4 overs.

1 Like

I would assume Fox’s pledge would apply in the same way as it does for their AFL, NRL and rugby coverage in that while players are on the field, they won’t air ads

I thought the same until I saw how Sky did it in the UK, every 3 overs adverts. In between overs detailed reviews of balls extra, or general chit chat.

Maybe for Big Bash - but I can’t see Fox going ad free for potentially hours at a time if only actual breaks count, or an hour if they also include drinks breaks.

Unless they do a lot of scrolling ads, or squeezing the picture. They are already spending a huge amount of money, subscriptions won’t recoup that if they don’t have some level of advertising.

Does the licence condition that the primary source of revenue for a subscription television service should be via subscription fees, rather than advertisements, still apply?

The broadcast of today’s T20 match between the West Indies and Bangladesh featured very little advertising; perhaps one ad break every five overs at best. That amount is probably reasonable. At least no Australian cricket broadcaster has stooped to the level of Star Sports/Sony LIV India, both of which feature ghastly picture-in-picture ads in between deliveries.