Federal Politics

Didn’t Bandt refuse to stand in front of the country’s flag?

3 Likes

We were referring to the Queen’s death. Bandt, despite his and The Greens’ disdain for the monarchy, spoke about the Queen’s death with respect rather than Faruqi’s comment about how she cannot mourn the death of a conqueror (words to that effect).

I don’t agree with everything the Greens does but I have to give credit when warranted. Bandt generally conducts himself well with campaigning and activism. Faruqi and Thorpe on the other hand can go rogue very easily.

Anyway any of what I said above isn’t an excuse for Pauline Hanson to spew her racist bile in parliament. She’s a disgrace that needs to go into a sin bin until she learns respect.

2 Likes

My point is there is a line multiple people in the Greens are running with, it all seems to be tying together into a certain narrative, and I just don’t like it. If they hate the country so much, then there are several hundred countries that they can go through the processes to move to if they are so repulsed by the work that generations before put in to bring us into the first-world democratic country that we are, regardless of what the daily whingers would have you believe.

3 Likes

The Greens are worse. Bandt refusing to stand in front of the Country’s flag was before The Queen’s death. That ACTION is worse and MORE divisive than any words Pauline Hanson has said. That action has created more hatred towards our country.

2 Likes

I don’t necessarily agree though, Hanson is a terrible talker, a lot of what comes out in the media bites comes across in poor taste. She is unelectable with the mass population because of it.

1 Like

Not sure how that action is worse than Pauline Hanson vilifying and offending people based on their ethnicity?

Sure I don’t agree with Bandt’s action nor a lot of what the Greens make themselves out to be but it’s not like he called the Queen offensive names or anything, now that’s something that should be rightfully condemned.

In some ways both the Greens and One Nation represents the ugly sides of the political extremes. Hence why I don’t vote for either of them.

1 Like

IMO, in MANY ways. They are practically on the far opposite extreme sides of the spectrum.

2 Likes

I only used the term ‘some’ because it’s not fair to say that the Greens are all bad because they’re on the far left. They have some genuinely good policies like action on climate change, integrity in politics, supporting multicultural society etc. That said, their voice, or let’s face it ‘arrogance’ about a lot of the matters doesn’t help them, especially when they try to unite the country, but divides it in the process because of how blunt they are. Plus as much as their vision is good and ideal, they need to be realistic as well with expectations.

And this is going to sound very strange but there’s one part of One Nation that surprised me in a good way, and that is the new Legislative Council member in SA. She’s actually swayed from the roots of One Nation and is actually quite moderate compared to the likes of Hanson etc with her views on migrants and multiculturalism which was impressive. Too bad she’s the only gem in a pot full of rocks.

2 Likes

Exhibit A: Parliamentary behaviour: Criticism of Pauline Hanson raises questions of Greens' double standards | SBS News | SBS News

Teena McQueen is a seriously miserable old fool. She must be buddies with the likes of Dutton, Ley and all those extreme right wing nutters.

3 Likes

She’s legit fucken nuts. Have you ever heard speak. Complete lunatic.

2 Likes

Her appearances on Q&A want to make me throw a rock at the screen. She must be the one giving Dutton the direction to lurch further into One Nation territory of right wing extremism.

Tbf it’s not like Peter Dutton needs any help in that regard… horrible man. I well remember his campaigns about mythical Somali gangs in Melbourne (which not even Chris Pyne knew about when questioned about it on The Project) and offering refuge to white South African farmers who were supposedly being murdered in their droves (which was based on a far-right conspiracy theory).

3 Likes

And I don’t think we need to mention the utter lack of empathy around the case of the Biloela family that took 4 years and a change of government to be resolved in the rightful place. And not to mention his absolutely insensitive comments about China and the fact that it’s offended many in the Chinese Australian community.

Dr. Monique Ryan was right about him on Q&A. He’s a right wing hawk and being from the National Right he’ll only take it further from there.

The only useful Liberals we have (and that’s putting it nicely) are Simon Birmingham, Marise Payne and Anne Ruston. Everyone else is woeful, particularly that lower house group.

2 Likes

I’m also a big fan of Bridget archer who has threatened to go independent if things don’t change.

1 Like

Yes I forgot about her. She’s fantastic. The only one in the lower house who’s some guts to stand up to what is right.

Realistically she probably wouldn’t get a look-in for the front bench in a Dutton government, seeing how their frontbenchers are amongst some of the most unlikeable politicians in Australia.

1 Like

With the new budget looming I’m really dumbfounded by how the likes of Dutton and Ley can say that the looming budget deficit and debt is all Labor’s fault when as far as I know most of that debt is actually racked by the COALITION in the last nine years? Or did they decide to forget everything that’s happened and swept it under the rug the moment they got voted out and pretended it never happened?

Their political gameplay is so dirty it’s not even funny.

2 Likes

Most? Isn’t it all? (Labor haven’t even had their 1st budget yet; another week to go.)

It’s also bizarre hearing the LNP opposition complaining about the new Labor government not having yet fixed something the LNP ignored for years.

2 Likes