Federal Politics

I’m just astounded they can do all that with a straight face. I mean, Albo’s government did more with Climate Change than the Coalition ever did in the last nine years and nearly everything they’ve done recently is more than what the Coalition has done in forever.

Yet we have Dutton and Ley and Taylor and co parading around Sky and other media outlets whinging about power prices and ‘CFMEU thugs’ when they did jack-all about it when they were in power. Ludicrous.

It’s the problem at state and federal levels when they all change. The new government blame everything from the past on the previous government. The new opposition complains about everything not being fixed a week after the new government started. The new Prime Minister/Premier is always ready to face the media for the honeymoon period but will then get harder to track down when things get harder meanwhile the new Opposition Leader will be laying low for a while and then will pop up everywhere when the governments start going missing. This lasts for a term or two or three and then they swap over and everyone settles into their new roles and meanwhile the people of Australia or that state will suffer because nothing really changes because the game of politics is still going on and because there’s about 80% of the population rusted on to the one party and automatically hating everything that 40% of the population will support no matter what it just ends up with all the divisive politics too.

I noticed that Dan Andrews was wanting to avoid meeting with Virginia Trioli prior to the Victorian election, I haven’t been paying much attention but I’m guessing that the Vic Liberal leader is trying to be everywhere at the moment (even though it’s expected to be a landslide loss).

2 Likes

Spot on Ando.

1 Like
2 Likes

Greens senator Lidia Thorpe resigns as Senate deputy after undisclosed relationship with ex-bikie boss - ABC News

I actually think this is a good thing for the Greens.

4 Likes

She should resign from the Senate completely.

The same principles of integrity that undid Gladys should be applied equally in this case as well.

5 Likes

Agreed. She’s far too rabid these days and is actually tainting the Greens’ overall image.

2 Likes

While I’d be happy for this level of consequence, it needs to be applied consistently.
Several from the LNP didn’t/weren’t forced to resign from Parliament (Tudge was an example I saw mentioned elsewhere today).

I think parties should hold senators to greater account. By and large the enter parliament
like Thorpe has after a casual vacancy before being elected.

MHRs can be expelled from their party, but unless they become excluded by constitutional provisions it should be up to those who vote them in to vote them out.

Time to get over it. I reckon.
When labor does their game, you all turn a blind eye like your political friends. I am all for accountability on both sides, not just for one because you have a distate for them based on behaviour.

Far from turning a blind eye. I’ve been pretty critical on both sides of the spectrum. It’s just that the Coalition’s missteps are much more obvious and out there for everyone to see and criticise.

I don’t think the sun shines out of Labor’s arse and I’ll call them out on stuff that they’ve failed to address adequately but I’m yet to see something like that on the scale of the tripe that’s coming out of the Coalition even after they’ve been booted out of office.

6 Likes

This comment is beyond ridiculous. We should be remembering one’s previous actions in power. MPs have a duty of care far greater than most professions. We need to remember previous mistakes because that shows character and what would get from a leader. And that is not what I want for my country. Dutton is not what I want.

As for holding labour accountable. People did. They voted them out all those years ago and refused to vote them back in despite leadership spills and scandals.

4 Likes

I am not just saying yous pecifically. When I say you all, I mean every labor supporter on this forum. Hell I know I’m a liberal supporter, but hell what they have done is nothing compared to the tripe that Labor has, but won’t defend the Liberals mistakes. Although the Christian bashing that comes from labor supporters does get old.

Let’s go to specifics shall we…

and who can forget this bafoon?

And to balnce out the shit that the Liberals have tossed in to the garbage… this century…

Just saying that the worst crimes have been commited on Labor’s side.

Wasn’t Peter Slipper an Independent (and prior to that a Nationals MP)? And Labor wasn’t exactly the ones that made him do all those abhorrent things that rightfully got him pilloried.

I never said Labor’s perfect. But if a comparison was to be made about who did the worst in the last decade or so in politics then the Coalition would be two up on Labor. What makes it even more significant about the Coalition is that a majority of the tripe they did had greater ramifications to the whole of Australia vs what Labor’s done (I mean, the whole bushfire and Hawaii debacle says it all, top it off with the Brittany Higgins case and their arrogance with COVID).

To say that what Labor did was worse than everything Liberals have done in the last decade is just plain ignorant.

Are you seriously implying that all Labor supporters are Christian bashers? As a Christian I find that really offensive.

I sometimes really don’t get your flip flop point of view on politics where you seem to agree with the consensus that Scomo and the Coalition were pathetic and next you’re saying Labor is terrible. Truly bizarre.

8 Likes

A UK Labour MP, what appears to be consensual sex albeit in a workplace (wow, that’s never happened ever before), and a Nationals MP cum independent where the judge threw the charges out. That’s the best you’ve got?

6 Likes

Vs the Coalition:

• Tony Abbott standing in front of a sign saying ‘Ditch the Witch’ and ‘Julia Gillard is a man’s B**ch’

• Bronwyn Bishop abusing parliamentary privileges as speaker whilst fleecing taxpayer money to fund her helicopter rides.

• Barnaby Joyce

• Scomo deserting the nation to enjoy Hawaii whilst the nation burns up.

• Scomo claiming that Australia’s hitting its climate targets whilst refusing to meaningfully commit to action against climate change because they’re scared of the coal lovers in the country areas.

• Their constant resistance towards meaningful action against sexual misconduct.

• their stupidity in leaving the states to their own peril during COVID whilst inciting state vs state tensions.

• Peter Dutton and Scott Morrison both being proud of their track records at keeping refugees in detention whilst abhorrently handling the Biloela family’s case.

Which one did worse? I’ll let those with common sense figure that out.

11 Likes

What do people think of the first Albo budget?

My thoughts on the budget is that with knowledge and understanding of the current global situation and soaring inflation everywhere plus shortage of energy reserves from the Ukraine war, the budget itself is actually fairly decent in prioritising the important macro aspects of the economy. Good funding on health/aged care, specific attention to climate change and renewable energy which aims to make power prices lower in the long term future, families provided with grants in the next period to sustain spending amidst growing cost of living etc.

Could it be better? Yes it would be nice if power prices can be reduced but then again that’s a combination of the Coalition’s inability to switch to renewable energy the 9 years they were in power plus the current situation with the war in Ukraine which puts the government between a rock and hard spot.

The Coalition really showed their true pathetic colours the last two days with their relentless whinging about power prices and how Albo ‘broke’ the promise of power price cuts. Hello did you fools not realise that your inability to invest in sustainable energy and your inaction prior to the election have led to this outcome? Them screaming across the chamber and each member complaining about how Albo and his government should ‘apologise’ is laughable.

3 Likes

Albo’s been in power barely 5 months and the Coalition think he can magically remedy what they created over 9 years?

Mind, the shoe was on the other foot when Abbott came to power with Labor and the media carrying on about the debt only weeks after the election.

2 Likes

Very true. Guess that’s what passes for politics in this country.

1 Like