Federal Politics

How quickly things change. Only a few short months ago nearly everyone was saying Albanese was unelectable as PM and the biggest handicap to Labor.

1 Like

Iā€™m not so sure, Nelson was given a little 9 months to improve but had Turnbull to contend with. The current Liberal party has no Turnbull like figure who was popular with the electorate ready to challenge.

I was one. Happy to eat humble pie.

1 Like

The mainstream media was saying that and was pushing the line Morrison was bound to win because he was a ā€œmaster campaignerā€. Both assertions were bullshit and I never heard that being said amongst the people I associate with in either Sydney or on the south coast. People who were digging a little deeper for news that isnā€™t spoon fed to them by the likes of Murdoch and Costello influenced Nine were aware Morrison was a fraud.

4 Likes

I was hearing it everywhere. Even on here.

1 Like

I thought Albo was unfit for the job too especially after his gaffes. I am pleasantly surprised

1 Like

Recent Question Times have pretty much cemented my impression that the Coalition is nothing but a useless plight in Australian politics.

Youā€™ve got David Littleproud sitting there looking smug with that stupid smirk of his whilst contributing absolutely nothing to the political discourse of the country. Sussan Ley who sounds extremely condescending and demeaning every time she opens that mouth of hers, backed by the bunch of hecklers (like the unhinged Angus Taylor, Ted Oā€™Brien etc) who keeps screeching at literally anything Labor or the cross bench says that doesnā€™t align with what they believe in. Paul Fletcher who is just looking for trouble by going for point of orders against the Labor front-bench whilst sounding like an arrogant prick.

Then youā€™ve got Dutton whoā€™s like a dog with a bone with the issues of rising power costs even though it was the Coalition under Scomo that failed to invest in renewables and long term sustainable investments, whilst continue to pander to the minority with their precious ā€˜any Labor Ministers that have breached the rule of integrityā€™ blah blah blah whilst the rest of the nation have moved on.

The L/NP are a joke. Iā€™m surprised the new speaker hasnā€™t kicked anyone from that side out based on Section 94. If it was me Iā€™d kick the whole lot of them out for their useless demeanour and inaction in parliament apart from jeering and mocking the government.

6 Likes

The opposition is useless as when they were in govt

What I found interesting about their publications is how different the copy is between them (naturally, given the different target audiences) - but there was one thing that they all (mostly) implicitly said: donā€™t vote Labor - or at least, donā€™t be enthusiastic about doing so.

SMH said 'Ooh, vote for Albo but hold your nose whilst doing do, ā€˜cos heā€™s not really inspiring, is he?ā€™ and then you had Pedestrian saying ā€˜ooh, Anthony Albanese said men canā€™t have babies (in a Telegraph interview deliberately designed to catch him out) - heā€™s LICHRALLY denying that trans people exist, which is why you canā€™t vote Laborā€™.

I am just surprised the liberals went with her as deputy after all her issues in the past. She changed her hair thinking Australians will forget. The liberals thought putting a woman in the deputy would fix some of their issues but Ley was not the right person for this. Her track record as environmental minister was terrible. And she actually fought with Saudi Arabia to prevent the Great Barrier Reef from being labelled in danger. Then there is the misuse of entitlements where she was sacked by Turbull.

Her hair is like the time she changed her name and added an extra S to her name thinking it would change her personality.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/why-sussan-ley-has-an-extra-s-in-her-name/news-story/4c2bb14f934012a810d2001682e2cc42

Itā€™s actually a shame we have focussed so much on Dutton when there are so many sneaky inclusions that havenā€™t even really had a mention from the liberal party

3 Likes

She should have changed it to Susssan. Then it would be 7 letters long, and maybe she would be PM :stuck_out_tongue:

I canā€™t stand Sussan Ley. Her ridiculous comments on EVā€™s. Sheā€™s a moron.

1 Like

Sheā€™s a fraud and fake. Canā€™t for the love of my life understand how the people of Farrer continue to vote for such an incompetent and downright condescending politician.

3 Likes

Itā€™s only ever been a liberal/nationals seat, unfortunately. And itā€™s only had 4 different elected members since 1949. I donā€™t think any other seat would have that. So it probably tells you something about why they keep voting for her.

As someone in Farrer, Iā€™d say it comes down to the following factors:
-she does have a lot of rusted on support by virtue of being the local MP for nearly 21 years now
-itā€™s one of the safest Coalition seats in the country, they could put up Osama bin Laden as their candidate and probably still get through on preferences
-itā€™s been a Coalition seat since inception, and Albury (the largest city in the electorate) has a very long history of Coalition support.
-Labor has a long history of putting up candidates here that are complete duds, especially the most recent election.
-While the neighbouring Victorian electorate of Indi has gone independent, that is not a phenomena likely to be repeated in Farrer as thereā€™s more ā€˜gentrificationā€™ in that electorate (with towns like Rutherglen, Beechworth, Yackandandah attracting a lot of tree-changers from the city.

Funnily enough a few weeks ago I was at an event where she was in attendance, one on one sheā€™s not as bad as she comes across on TV. Can see why sheā€™s not popular amongst the wider public though.

3 Likes

Thanks for your insights and fair enough too.

I donā€™t want to make it sound like Iā€™m picking on her because of her gender or appearance or anything. Itā€™s just that I find her to be smug anytime she appears on camera and she comes across as ingenuine and unlikeable. Itā€™s clear that she has an axe to grind with Labor and their policies but the way she does it is almost childish and her gaffes as environment minister doesnā€™t help her image either. Mind you sheā€™s probably slightly better than Peter Dutton and David Littleproud but thatā€™s like saying Donald Trump is a bit better than Osama Bin Laden.

Though it seems like a lot of people in the area seems to have a ā€˜Coalition or nothingā€™ mindset when it comes to federal politics (like many in rural electorates) and canā€™t seem to see through the benefits of Labor and the Independents, but then again Labor and Independents are simply incapable of cutting through the Coalition line in those areas no matter what they do.

1 Like

Can definitely see where you come from with that, and agree that her on camera manner does her no favours.

I think itā€™s a bit of a two way street, thereā€™s a lot of people who are always going to vote for the Coalition no matter what, but at the same time Labor tends to run a negative campaign that does little to inspire confidence in anyone outside their existing loyal voter base. Simply attacking the incumbent MP and their party is not good enough, they need to show they are in touch with local issues and provide a positive vision for when they are elected.

1 Like

I donā€™t think any of these things are my issue with her. I think I just find her really stupid and uneducated about matters. She says things thinking she is saying something factually correct that is so far off the mark itā€™s laughable.

2 Likes

That too. But then again thatā€™s completely normal with most of the Coalition, who thinks they know what Australia wants and needs but they donā€™t.

Her arrogance and smugness is off the charts, especially since the start of this parliament. Sheā€™s up there with Angus Taylor and Paul Fletcher, all of their arrogance is really off-putting and is certainly not doing the Coalition any good from face value, let alone the substance part of it.

1 Like

Yeah thatā€™s why I hate her too.

All what you all have said about Susan Lezy is pretty much spot on. I sometimes think this is a parallel universe and I am just visiting when I have seen so much of the shit politicans in the UK and now back home in Australia!

2 Likes