Federal Politics

More need to be like bridge archer who is truly the stand out in that party

3 Likes

Absolutely disgusting and insensitive remarks. Extremists like her only set their movement and cause back, which is a terrible shame as a lot of their ideas are well intentioned.

5 Likes

Makes me wonder why they still live in western civilisation if they are that angry, seriously.

4 Likes

This might sound a bit controversial but Iā€™m personally not a fan of how some of the crazies are hijacking this occasion to push their own agenda as if the Queen herself colonised the world and itā€™s all her fault.

She may not have been perfect (but none of us are) but she has been an icon of many generations and she has done good things for the world and her presence was a beacon for many. Discrediting her just because they think sheā€™s the head of a country that was once upon a time a coloniser is pathetic. She didnā€™t do it so why are they targetting her? Let Her Majesty Rest in Peace.

Thereā€™s a time and place for that kind of conversation and although I agree that it must be acknoledged, now is not the time. But no Iā€™m sure the likes of Lidia Thorpe and co thinks they know better.

6 Likes

Agree with you 100%. Ultimately it only hurts their agenda and reduces their credibility.

Iā€™m surprised she seems to have resisted saying anything so far, for sure I thought she would not be able to help herself.

2 Likes

Time for her to shut her mouth and build a bridge and get over it.

2 Likes

While I think how some criticisms have been expressed (along with timing) may be counter-productive, Elizabeth II had been monarch for the last seven decades and the appalling colonial behaviour by the British hadnā€™t ended before her reign began.

Letā€™s not pretend what QE2 presided over was all good; we should remember and acknowledge the awful things in history too.

[Updated: I had incorrectly written 96 y as queen; she died at 96 y old]

As I said I agree that it should be addressed. After all I am definitely not someone who supports colonialism and I believe itā€™s important that the atrocities must be acknowledged and not ignored unlike many of those on the right thinks.

However I just donā€™t think that arguing the Queen is akin to a war criminal (judging by the way some have referenced her, youā€™d think she killed someone) by the crazies is productive to their causes.

There are classier ways of speaking about it on a public platform which gets your point across without looking like a tool like some of the Greens senators. Itā€™s a shame for them and their party because their good points are marred by their sheer arrogance and ignorance in the way they present their perspectives.

Albanese, for example, has got the balance right. Recognising the Queenā€™s service whilst also recognising the significance of Aboriginal Voice and working to address the problems that are happening with our Aboriginal brothers and sisters in arms.

4 Likes

Regardless of oneā€™s thoughts on the British colonial Empire, you cannot blame the Queen for events preceding her 70 year reign. Not only that, during her reign she has presided over an extensive process of decolonisation and has always been supportive of former colonies as they have become independent.

5 Likes

Today (& in recent decades) more than anything else the monarchy is a symbol, an anachronism carried over from and thus a reminder of an undemocratic past and the dark elements of that history.

Itā€™s natural and logical to reflect on that history at the time of death of a monarch/when a new monarch takes over.

I think some of the outrage is itself over the top; I understand victims of past oppression voicing frustration and even anger when significant parts of the media are ignoring other news with wall-to-wall repeating coverage of the death of the queen.

1 Like

Agree.

And what a novel concept not to blame those living today for something that people did generations ago :thinking:

2 Likes

Not only that, the Queen has almost no real power (I mean yes, in theory, but in practice, no), decisions are not made by the Queen (or the new King etc.) but are made by the government on behalf of the people.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Dutton needs to somehow pull back 20 seats to win. The landscape has changed. Whilst Labor will still shed some seats to the Teals and Greens, wont be 20 seats.

Federal Libs are stuck in a rut and I donā€™t believe they will be back in power anytime soon.

2 Likes

I actually think Labor could regain some seats from the Teals and possibly the Greens at the next election. I think itā€™s possible they will increase their majority. The protest vote in Brisbane against the Libs went towards the Greens because there were no Teals. I think Labor will pair this back a bit at the next election.

2 Likes

I hope not. Independents and smaller parties are good for democracy.

1 Like

Letā€™s hope so. Theyā€™ve proven that theyā€™re out of touch with Australians. Whilst the country goes through cost of living crisis and more pressing issues theyā€™re more worried about what Mark Dreyfus and Kirsty McBain did.

Anyone who holds centre-right views and has a brain wouldā€™ve voted for the teals and independents anyway.

Having said that Labor needs to work to getting some of those lost seats back. Griffith went Green and Fowler went Independent and both couldā€™ve been Laborā€™s had they played their cards right. But they failed on one of their safest seat that was Fowler by thinking that they could parachute a divisive former state Premier and Senator who doesnā€™t even live in the area in and think she could win. If they had stuck their guns and endorsed Tu Le then they wouldā€™ve easily kept it.

Lots of good Independents and smaller parties out there which makes parliament meaningful (like Rebekah Sharkie of Central Alliance and Andrew Wilkie, not to mention the Teals). But there are some that just goes absolutely crazy (Bob Katter) and some just doesnā€™t deserve any airtime or seats in parliament (PHON or UAP).

2 Likes

Albo still canā€™t push his needle higher - thats slightly concerning

Brisbane greens won heavily also on the Runway noise problem, for those that donā€™t know the new BNE runway has upset the locals due flight paths. Greens want curfews, caps, and all sorts, which pulled in many votes. I noticed the members are very active on the social channels around this communicating with the community.

Outside of that I really donā€™t know what those two Gentlemen stand for.

Monique Ryan was on the nose last week also.

I still donā€™t know what half these people stand for, and want to achieve. Sounds like the stock standard Politician, however the Teals/Greens did go into the campaign promising the world.

I noted that she copped a lot of rebuke on social media for telling the Coalition MPs to ā€œPut your masks on!ā€ Which got the Coalitionā€™s knickers in a twist.

I have a feeling these Teal Independents (and the cross bench in general) are basically holding their own set of goals and policies and then aligning themselves with whichever party supports their direction. Most of them promised action on climate change and supported Laborā€™s motion along with the Greens. I can see more of that if their policies are more aligned towards Labor but more centrist than left.

The only Coalition MP that I think has a spine is Bridget Archer. Willing to cross the floor on important issues like climate change. Sadly with the way the Coalition acts around sheā€™ll probably be in the firing line if something happens internally.

2 Likes