Federal Politics

Nah. You jumped to that conclusion all on your own. :joy:

1 Like

The guy has said some pretty extreme things.

I’m not saying what Getup is doing is fantastic, but heck, it’s allowed.

If Firetorch cared so much about electoral integrity he would also be railing against Christian organisations which to this day still lobby governments against same sex marriage, when 75% of the electorate is pro-SSM. The only reason GetUp elicits such a strong reaction is because it’s his side losing out this time.

1 Like

One side of politics hates one of the more loudmouth figureheads of the other. As has occurred all throughout history.

There was similar backlash against Gillard from the right. Ditch the Witch is 100x more intolerant than anything Getups ever done.

I don’t understand this outrage.

1 Like

Well, perhaps we have different views on what “outrage” actually is. Personally, I don’t view a “LOL” as outrage.

No there wasn’t. I never heard anyone with any prominence say Gillard was a “threat to democracy”.

You’re comparing one lunatic with a home-made banner, to a political organisation, very often portrayed as quite benevolent (rather than the nasty far-left outfit it really is) raising hundreds of thousands of dollars in a targeted campaign?

Only one side of politics says an elected MP is a “threat to democracy”. You don’t have to be outraged that GetUp has appeared totally moronic with this quote, just accept it and move on.

Er…

Exactly. In reference to your statement on an elected MP. Not in reference to that particular politician.

Well, what a sparkling contribution to the discussion, and reply to my original post then. I’m sure you have some other pertinent details from Cuban or Zimbabwean politics too.

Presumably you agree that an elected MP in Australia, such as Peter Dutton, is not a threat to democracy then?

Hard to tell who is losing actually with this one, both sides claiming to have a majority, both sides claiming to be victims of bullying. Both sides making outrageous claims and completely misrepresenting each other and nobody actually wanting to talk about the issue and instead trying to drown out each other and be the most offensive they can and nobody wanting to actually test what the true numbers are for fear of losing or inciting more hatred from people who seem to have forgotten how to debate and how to be people and to look after people.

2 Likes

You presume left wing politics to be inherently dangerous on a daily basis on this site. I don’t think anyone here has necessarily ever said the equivalent about the right on this site.

I don’t think you’re in a position to be chastising others for their so-called extreme views, I’m sorry.[quote=“ando9185, post:467, topic:1123”]
be the most offensive they can and nobody wanting to actually test what the true numbers are for fear of losing or inciting more hatred from people who seem to have forgotten how to debate and how to be people and to look after people.
[/quote]

Let me be able to actually have the same rights as straight people, and I’ll shut up then.

4 Likes

Weirdly, this post of yours wasn’t displaying before.

Sure, it’s allowed. I’m also allowed to highlight how utterly moronic they sound in saying Dutton is a “threat to democracy” while doing it.

You ask whether I care about electoral integrity - you’re hyperventilating about this issue but have missed the fact I simply, upon reading the news report, found a hilarious example of GetUp attacking Dutton and thought it of note to post in this thread.

Hard with this new board we have, but I’m pretty sure over the last decade I’ve said I very much dislike these entrenched lobby groups in the Australian political scene, like the Australian Christian Lobby.

As for Christian organisations and same sex marriage…well, if Christian organisations said a same sex marriage bill passed by the Parliament by elected MPs was a “threat to democracy”, then I’d be laughing equally as hard.

Finally, GetUp has not elicited a strong reaction at all, I simply posted LOL. In fact, I drew your attention to that fact a second time too. Third time, and I suspect you’re simply trolling. And I have no idea what “my side” is and what I’m “losing”. Can you be much more specific with your posts please?

Which is why you’re still posting several hundred word theses on the matter…

LOL.

1 Like

What are my extreme views?

Come on, list them.

Let’s see you wriggle out of this one mate.

What are my extreme views.

See, this is what you do EVERY SINGLE TIME I try to post in these forums.

Literally every single person in Australia would consider calling an elected MP a “threat to democracy” one of the more stupid things they’ve ever heard of.

You then poke, twist, mock and troll me into these long-winded discussions where I even have to defend the fact I posted something.

And then you top it off with an insanely personal attack…again, I ask you politely…what are my extreme views.

Then why not argue for that rather than instead having the entire lobby trying to tear down Christianity who are actually some of your biggest supporters believe it or not. There are many Christians for SSM just as there are many atheists against it. Therefore religion has not much to do with it and many of the arguments from those against SSM have been saying that all along.

We are all people and we all have the right to be treated equally and heard equally and we all have our opinions formed from our own wide range of beliefs and experiences and bullying, name calling, deliberately pissing people off is not likely to change those views from either side.

1 Like

You characterise any remotely left-of-centre view as looney, shrieking, misguided. You have previously referred to any left wing view as “dangerous”. (not willing to spend my Sunday morning sorting through old posts sorry). I don’t think the same can be said for many of my generation (broadly left wing), who hold quite reasonable views.

You’re a Trump supporter, which puts you in company of roughly 5% of Australians.

You once said Pauline Hanson “is genuine”.

Three examples off the top of my Sunday morning alcohol-muddled brain. Now I don’t particularly like the direction this conversation is heading, so I’ll leave it at that. [quote=“ando9185, post:473, topic:1123”]
Then why not argue for that rather than instead having the entire lobby trying to tear down Christianity who are actually some of your biggest supporters believe it or not.
[/quote]

No one is looking to put a stop to Christianity. Anyone can still believe whatever they want.

1 Like

It’s a forum, not a one-way conversation.

If I put forward a view which is controversial, I know full well the onus is on me to defend my viewpoint, or read counterarguments and reconsider.

1 Like

This is simply false. To pick a nice juicy obvious rebuttal - I posted my very strong support for the Coalition’s left-wing bank tax last month on this site.

No, I’m not a Trump supporter. You perhaps might mean that I have been in the past critical of the US media, who has covered US politics horribly over recent years, and Hillary Clinton and her woeful campaign.

What on earth is this. I barely talk about Pauline Hanson here. I may have noted at one point what her appeal to some people is - that she appears genuine. Talk about twisting a minute observation!

…I still have no answer on what my extreme VIEWS actually are. All you’ve done is thrown together false information, and then highlighted some occasion where I haven’t absolutely steam-rolled someone right-of-centre as being worse than Hitler.

What are my extreme VIEWS, matlock?

Hah, there you go again. You make a remark as if I somehow assume that it should be a one-way conversation - you’ve done this in the past too. You throw out a false flag and then wait for a rebuttal.

So, with this post, you’re actually saying that me highlighting GetUp is crazy for calling Peter Dutton a “threat to democracy”… CONTROVERSIAL? Seriously? And then I have an onus to RECONSIDER?

Jesus Christ. This is some insane next level stuff.

Dutton holds extreme views:

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/morning-shows/today-host-karl-stefanovic-slams-immigration-minister-peter-dutton-for-unaustralian-comments/news-story/e08cf936d6132ffd9305143f831ed978

1 Like

Last post on the topic from me.

GetUp is bonkers crazy for labeling an elected MP in Australia a “threat to democracy”. I also think this is aggravated by the fact, at the same time, they are pouring in hundreds of thousands of dollars to battle against one elected MP. I am not saying it is illegal, but it just further highlights their hypocrisy.

Further, I know some people have personal issues with Dutton and therefore get emotional about things, but I will not tolerate having smears thrown at me regarding “extreme views” when actually my views are anything but.