Federal Politics

A market of 1 billion people suddenly finds Sydney’s limited housing stock attractive (combined with NSW’s robust economy)…and negative gearing is to blame? This wouldn’t pass the “pub test” put to a drunk on the floor.

They’re not committing fraud, they’re pushing up prices as part of a speculation bubble, which isn’t fraud. That renders those who want to buy their first home unable to do so.

To your point, both negative gearing and foreign investment need to be curtailed. American and Chinese investors have way too much freedom.

1 Like

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/andrew-bolt/andrew-bolt-bans-division-are-the-new-racism/news-story/d00ed0b85da6a565124c335dae676f44

The NRL already has an All-Stars round with teams picked by “race”. Aborigines play whites as the crowd barracks by skin colour.

Racial segregation in Australian sport? Seriously?

But last weekend, the NRL also held an “indigenous round” with Aboriginal and Australian flags and two anthems — the real one meant to unite us, and a rewritten one to appeal to Aborigines. The real one — Advance Australia Fair — was itself turned into a symbol of division by being sung not just in our national language but in Dharug, an officially extinct language once spoken only by Sydney Aborigines.

The rewritten anthem, by former Seekers star Judith Durham, featured in a video package and went further.

It included appeals for “honouring the Dreaming”, a dimly remembered religious explanation by tribal Aborigines of the creation of the world that goes against all science.

After Linda Burney states the lyrics “for we are young and free” in our national anthem are “offensive”…we have a re-written version “honouring the Dreaming”? Seriously? What next? Honouring Jesus Christ? Adam and Eve? Our belief that the Earth is flat?

I think NRL is for NSW/QLD bogans, so I’ve never paid attention to it in my life. As such, I only very occasionally see snippets of news on the national morning programmes about how some Australian of Indigenous descent is “protesting” the national anthem by not singing/not standing up etc. Obviously, however, the Australian national anthem is not offensive in the slightest to anyone - no matter how hard some try to stretch some phrases.

But…this is just next level bonkers.

Is there anything worse than sporting codes in Australia playing politics and jumping on PC bandwagons rather than providing good entertainment? Yawwwn!

1 Like

Sounds like they’ve hired former player Anthony Mundine for some of this inspiration…

1 Like

The media advisor to One Nation’s Malcolm Roberts has been taken into custody:

1 Like

How nice seeing Australians of Indigenous descent rejecting outright what the left-wing in Australia (as well as cliche corporate Australia), tell them to do, want, or think:

1 Like

Progressive lobby group GetUp has raised a war chest of almost $225,000 in just one week to be unleashed against Mr Dutton.

“We really see him as a threat to our democracy,” GetUp director Paul Oosting said.

LOL. The lack of self-awareness is breathtaking.

??

I don’t get what you mean? If you’re implying that Getup is a threat to democracy, they’re mostly funded by small donations from young people…

1 Like

An elected MP is not a threat to democracy. Pretty simple, matlock.

Further, if anything, a lobby group directing hundreds of thousands of dollars in a targeted attempt to smear one local candidate, is a threat to democracy. And I don’t want to get into one of your rabbit hole arguments.

True. And that’s a good point. But there’s nothing inherently wrong with what Getup is doing either.

A mate of mine lives in dUtToN’s electorate and (as a member of LGBT community) was advocating pretty hard to get him kicked out in 2016, even though he’s apolitical. He was pretty disappointed that they came so close. My friend donated to Getup last night :slight_smile:

2 Likes

He might not be a threat to democracy as a whole but he seems like an ass hole and that’s enough for me to get rid of the prick. Clearly there’s people out there who think he’s got to go and are investing in a campaign to get him out. Just as he has a right to spit out the shit he says, they have a right to campaign him out of there.

1 Like

You know what. Many dictators get elected into office in the first place, then abuse their power.

1 Like

Oh Jesus Christ. Now Peter Dutton is comparable to a dictator. I’ve heard it all.

There is when at the same time you accuse the elected MP of being a “threat to democracy”. Then you just look like an organisation spouting hypocritical nonsense.

I don’t particularly like Peter Dutton but at the same time, I think it’s probably a little extreme to say that he’s a threat to Australia’s democracy.

1 Like

Sure. We know the left are extremely intolerant and therefore someone like Peter Dutton is a mortal enemy, this is not surprising to me.

I’d just politely point out that if a rag tag bunch of extreme right-wingers spent hundreds of thousands of dollars trying to unseat someone like, say, Tanya Plibersek, we’d never hear the end of it from the left-wing media. And THEN if they accused Plibersek of being a threat to democracy…they’d be mocked mercilessly.

It says alot about the EXTREME political leanings of some here that this even disputed.

They usually leave that for their own side.

Albanese crying on camera about the Labour party tearing itself apart must have been in my imagination.

Nope, that mob are just as good at it too.