Federal Politics

Delete.

Yes it does. If his continued expression of racist rhetoric continues, thereā€™s the risk of normalising that sort of thinking, and encouraging those with similar racist views to become more open about it.

GetUp in my eyes is completely justified going after someone like this.

1 Like

Theyā€™re extreme views to you. To the people he represents, they are obviously not extreme views. He is elected. Elected democratically. He is not a threat to democracy.

I perhaps might find views of Adam Bandt and the Greens in Melbourne utterly extreme. Most Australians would.

I would never say Adam Bandt is a threat to democracy. And I would never condone an extreme right-wing rag tag bunch going after him in a vicious campaign to unseat him.

I have to say, and this is certainly my last post on the matter, that in the wake of horrible attacks like the one on Jo Cox in the UK last year, I find this vicious personalisation of politics, whereby MPs are singled out for campaigns like this quite unsavoury.

In addition to that attack, there were a number of incidents last year in the UK where the extreme left targeted female and Jewish ā€œcentristā€ Labour MPs.

I think turning politics into that sort of witchhunt, where people are personally targeted as politicians for putting forward their views, is grotesque. I very much condemn the people that take part in it.

1 Like

We wonā€™t hold our breath. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Sorry JBar! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Obviously GetUp has a fair few supporters lurking here, LOL.

Enough. Flamey McFlameface. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Pauline copping a lot of flak for this.

1 Like

Would it be an Islamist terror incident without the far-left baying for blood from someone on the right immediately after the attack? :rolling_eyes: In any case, I donā€™t recognise that far-left website you have posted from, and am concerned about the content it posts:

Pauline Hanson, as an elected representative to the Australian Parliament, is perfectly entitled to address Australian concerns about Government policies. It is literally her job.

The mock of an official Met Police infographic is a little crass, but she is putting a message out to Australians, not people living under the authority of that Police service that may be confused.

[quote=ā€œFiretorch, post:488, topic:1123ā€]
Would it be an Islamist terror incident without the far-left baying for blood from someone on the right immediately after the attack?
[/quote]Maybe a more tasteful course of action would be for Pauline to wait a day after an attack before using it to serve political aims?

Iā€™m sure there are examples from more respectable sites, that was just the first article I saw on the matter. Regardless of the skew of the website, the racist content is Paulineā€™s.

Yeah, Iā€™m not really a fan of websites that talk about politicians ā€œtorchingā€ others and describing politicians being urinated on as ā€œsatisfying and brighteningā€.

This sort of far-left content is extremely crass.

Ok, weā€™ve heard what youā€™ve had to say about the ā€œfar-leftā€. Whereā€™s condemnation of the far right wanting to ban people based on their religion?

2 Likes

Itā€™s not a course of action I agree with, but as a Member of Parliament she is perfectly entitled to put forward a view that Government policy should be amended. Again, it is literally her job.

And wasnā€™t there a poll floating about a couple months ago showing 50% of Australians want action in this area? Is 50% of the population really ā€œfar-rightā€?

Itā€™s bloody tact-less, though, to start politicising an attack like this so soon after itā€™s occurred.

1 Like

Here are some views from websites that arenā€™t of the extreme far-left, matlock. You might be wise reading more widely.

Really? I think itā€™s appropriate for politicians to address incidents as soon as they happen. Thatā€™s their job. For example, I applauded when Obama came out after a school massacre and made the case for political reform of gun laws in the U.S. Thatā€™s real leadership. Not trying to hide issues.

Yeah I remember that poll. It is shocking. [quote=ā€œFiretorch, post:495, topic:1123ā€]
Really? I think itā€™s appropriate for politicians to address incidents as soon as they happen. Thatā€™s their job. For example, I applauded when Obama came out after a school massacre and made the case for political reform of gun laws in the U.S. Thatā€™s real leadership. Not trying to hide issues.
[/quote]

Even in that example it backfired, because the GOP said it was tasteless in the circumstances and scored political points. I agree with both you and Obama, but I think the timing for the call is wrong. Give time for the dust to settle.

+1 to @pelican above. Moreover, Obama, as President, had the authority and the ability to call for that change, as well as the authority and the ability to not respond. The former failed, as we know: had he done the latter, heā€™d have been crucified within the media for it.

On the flip side, Hanson is merely using a terrorist attack to further an exclusionary policy which - no matter how widely it is supported amongst the Australian populous - could not and would not impact upon the safety of Londoners.

Had UKIP responded in the same manner as Hanson had the inverse happened, Iā€™d react in the same way. Itā€™s tact-less.

3 Likes

ā€¦?

I donā€™t think sheā€™s talking about Londonderā€™s safety as an Australian MPā€¦