Federal Politics

What are the WH&S rules for wearing a high viability vest? I can’t see the safety benefit in either of these situations.

3 Likes

Yeah, sure, easily. :rolling_eyes: Are you from Serious? :disappointed:

Are you speaking from experience? How are refugees or people from poor socio-economic backgrounds who come to Australia for a better life supposed to do that?

1 Like

Easy peasy:

Woohoo! :grin:

You better hope that the passing rate isn’t 75% because you’ll be deported. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

95% bitchesssss come at me Border Force

I got 90%.

Although personally, I’d be interested to know at what rate do they consider a pass.

Every channel does that… They[quote=“JBar, post:285, topic:1123”]
Are you speaking from experience? How are refugees or people from poor socio-economic backgrounds who come to Australia for a better life supposed to do that?
[/quote]

If my mum can immigrant and learn english in Italy before she came with her brothers, then those so called “refugees” cant do the same.

Just because lawyers are peaceful questions? :stuck_out_tongue:

What? I think you’re struggling with English there yourself.

I think if you try and learn a little bit about refugees you’ll discover that many have left their countries due to war, famine and poverty. These are usually countries which are devastated for one reason or another and the people have struggled to survive.

They are not “so called” refugees. They are actually refugees that we are talking about. These are not people who can learn English in their spare time and apply to move to Australia for a change of lifestyle.

Maybe you should talk to people who came to this country with no English, no job, no house and had to go out every day to work, raise a family and learn English. You’d find out how “easy” it was for them. It wasn’t and having the proficiency to pass a test like this to become an Australian citizen is harder than it’s ever been and for many it will be impossible even after being here for many years.

1 Like

What does ANZAC (a made up confusing acronym) Day represent, and what are the colours of the Aboriginal flag?

First two questions and I’ve switched off already. What a load of bullshit.

How on earth are people from non-English backgrounds supposed to know this wank? Or why would they even need to know? Or care? Imagine if you moved to Japan and the test was not, what are the colours of the Japanese flag, but what are the colours of a flag which supposedly represents a particular ethnic minority. You’d think the Government there was bonkers.

Requiring some sort of proficiency in English is fine in this day and age, in my view, even considering members of my family immigrated here with no English skills in the past. However, requiring knowledge of niche trivia important only to a strand of severe far-left politics present only in English speaking nations? Not on.

Leigh Sales is crap, and her interview tonight with the PM was crap, but I did like her highlighting to the PM how stupid these plans are - is a woman in a full head veil professing Australian values? Answer…muttering.

2 Likes

You do realise ANZAC was an actual thing in the First World War, right?

So there’s no such thing as refugees? Are you for real? Go away!

1 Like

Heyyyy we got our first International Politician here - S’garn President Trump, Welcome!

2 Likes

I’m not saying you’re not entitled to your beliefs, but yelling “fake news” at any issue you don’t like or which doesn’t suit your ideological narrative is extremely unhealthy for democracy and society in general, especially if it hits the sort of critical mass like it has in the United States.

Can you tell me why refugees are “so-called” in your mind? What makes you instantly think they’re making it up? Is that true for 100% of refugees? And what does the ABC have to do with it? Is your beef with the ABC that they cover issues which you cannot easily dismiss?

3 Likes

So were a million and one other “things”. Do you know all First World War history from every other nation? If that nation then wrapped it up in a made up, confusing acronym? Totally unfair and stupid to expect people to know this.

I am assuming that the two questions were asked in the interview or are you generally asking?

That’s the real point here. Even people who have lived here for decades wouldn’t be familiar with every historical event and legislative rule which this test covers.

As I said before, I bet people who were born here and lived here all their lives would fail that test. One such person above, who was born and bred here, told us that they scored 70%.

Under the rules which came into effect in 2009, a mark of 75% (15 out of 20 questions correct) is required to pass.

1 Like

We are talking about people who are applying for citizenship who are taking these test - not refugees or people living overseas who will be taking these tests i.e., a long-term permanent resident who wants to become a citizen. You must be a permanent resident to apply to become a citizen.

3 Likes

Yes, we know, but even after four years of being a permanent resident that is not an easy test for people from a non-English speaking background to complete.

3 Likes

A few of those questions are purposely tricky similar to exam multiple choice questions where you have to give the most correct answer. I think that some of questions could be more simplified rather than it being a comprehension test.

1 Like

I know some people who have become citizens, and there are lists of sample questions available and it shouldn’t take a lot of effort for someone who has been in the country for a number of years to do a bit of study in this area.

Check out the sample 100 questions in the civics test for US naturalisation - this is an oral test with between 10 and 100 questions asked.

A few on history
What group of people was taken to America and sold as slaves?
There were 13 original states. Name three
The Federalist Papers supported the passage of the U.S. Constitution. Name one of the writers
Who was President during World War I?