Federal Politics

Queensland election was also considered a test for Abbott.

State governments frequently tend to go to the party not in power federally. Labor was dominant in state politics during the Howard era, as were LNP state govts during Rudd Gillard Rudd.

1 Like

As a Western Australian - Iā€™ll put it very simply - Colin Barnett was not going to be re-elected for a third term.

This was the case no matter which party was in government federally, and whether Malcolm, Spalcolm or Dalcolm was Prime Minister.

Yes, some state elections may be tipped one way or the other by a federal government really on the nose. This is no such one. Laurie Oakes said as much on the Nine broadcast on Saturday night. This is a state that, not even 12 months ago, letā€™s remember, gave Malcolm a stonking majority - Labor down to something like 3 seats - and this was after months of dithering early last year about tax reform.

Also, Malcolm is still actually preferred as PM, Iā€™m pretty sure, to Shorten, and if not, has been forever before. Voters may dump a state government to punish someone they despise like Gillard, but they donā€™t dump a state government because, oh, the federal Liberal party has been ho-hum but we actually quite like the leader.

Last Newspoll put Shorten ahead I believe, or it may have been approval/disapproval.

Last Newspoll also saw Turnbull Govt at roughly Gillard Govt levels of popularity.

Iā€™m a vegetarian, any dead animal offends me but I donā€™t go around telling stores what they can and canā€™t sell. They obviously see a market, and good luck to them. Get over your xenophobia as thatā€™s all this is.

1 Like

Lol, theyā€™ll just tell you they want an ā€œhonest debateā€ and to stop being so ā€œPCā€.

1 Like

And you get over your hatred of someone because they donā€™t want religious hocus pocus attached to their meat. Further, donā€™t call people xenophobic, when they havenā€™t been, well, xenophobic.

We had this debate not even two weeks ago - so go back and check my reasoning there - but Iā€™ll add in addition to your incorrect statement above, that there is no small discrete market of ā€œhalalā€ for consumers that wish to seek it out.

1 Like

Red-HD

Not for me, I thought your argument has some logic to me. And some of what you say is true but on this particular point - , I have to say for me and a few others that I spoke to when I went to vote on Saturday. The biggest factor for not voting for Colin Barnett was two key policies which he fucked W.A over and then there was two preference deal with Pauline Hanson. Personality of the candidate is also why people vote for their favourite top dog at the polls, but I think this election had a lot riding for Barnett.

Trump hasnā€™t really walked away from the Muslim ban. Heā€™s banning several Muslim countries citizens from entering the United States. The latest ban revisal isnā€™t meant to reflect this but to me itā€™s still a Muslim ban.

I always enjoy your passion when you come out and post. Thanks Firetorch. :slight_smile:

Not xenophobia - why are my thoughts challenged about this and not theirs? Something is wrong if we cant have a discussion.

If they canā€™t eat our because its not halal, then I dont want halal because obviously it must mean ā€œsomethingā€ is different.

This is Australia - we are multi-racial.

1 Like

(Despite being in two minds about whether to reply to this after a weekā€¦)

Iā€™ll happily challenge them about religion because all religion is nonsense (even if some appear crazier than others, and weā€™re used to some crazy because weā€™ve heard it since childhood).

Your argument however seems to be based on ā€œIā€™m offended by their religion, because itā€™s different than my religionā€ (and that does sound xenophobic).

I also accept the reality that people will believe whatever theyā€™re going to believe (no matter how ridiculous), so if a food manufacturer actually hasnā€™t changed the contents, it doesnā€™t do me harm, Iā€™m not going to avoid something because it happens to fit the ā€˜halalā€™ rules, or any other label.

Itā€™s like being outraged just because a manufacturer puts a ā€˜gluten freeā€™ or ā€˜vegan friendlyā€™ label on a product when it already/always didnā€™t have any gluten or animal products in it.

Pointing out their product doesnā€™t have something it never had is just smart marketing; get over it.

3 Likes

This is Australia we are multi-cultural.
I have been reading your posts and I have to say I am not sure you are offended by a group of peopleā€™s religion because like TV ACT says because other people are. i havenā€™t seen one structure of a good argument from you giving us a reason why you donā€™t like it. I generally want to hear your thoughts, but if you could maybe back it up with something more substantial and a good reason (instead of the the default one which seems a minority in this country do) it would help your argument a bit better.

Doesnā€™t bother me in the slightest - because I love food so trying all different kinds of multicultural foods is always a great thing.

2 Likes

I just donā€™t understand why you are still discussing this when everyone has already said you donā€™t need to eat halal meat. Can you get it through your thick skull?

Exactly.

Thank you.

Islam doesnā€™t carry with it any greater predisposition toward violence than Christianity. Whenever a family member does claim that Islam is synonymous with terrorism, I simply remind them that the IRA in Northern Ireland was responsible for killing UK Government MPs and many innocent civilians and they were overwhelmingly Catholic.

I oppose all religions on the basis theyā€™re used to justify pretty terrible things sometimes, and lots of stupid things a lot of the time, like denying rights to gays and womenā€™s health issues. Extremism in any religion needs to be fought.

4 Likes

Julia Gillard taking over from Jeff Kennett at Beyond Blue. I really like how, since being deposed as PM, she hasnā€™t attacked anyone, sniped or given her opinion about anything to do with politicsā€¦just gotten on with itā€¦ Says a lot about her.

7 Likes

I have great respect for Julia Gillard. Think she did a good job and I donā€™t think many could have done the job she did with a hung parliament.

3 Likes

Love or hate her for whatever else she did, a lot of people respect her for what she advocated for with the National Disability Insurance Scheme whilst PM.

An excellent appointment for BeyondBlue.

6 Likes

The Irish Nationalist in me is screaming (but I"m not an IRA supporter), donā€™t forget the atrocities committed by protestant militants and the odious poison of Ian Paisley

2 Likes

A practice Australian citizenship test, from news.com.au. Itā€™s a relatively straightforward general knowledge quiz.
http://newspolls.polldaddy.com/s/citizenship-practice-test

I had to guess a couple and I got one wrong so 95%.

Iā€™d say it woild not be that easy for a new Australian whose first language is not English.

I bet many Australians born and raised here would fail it too. Whatā€™s the passing score?

I actually didnā€™t do that badly 70%. For hte last question i put lawyers - helped to maintain peace in Australia :stuck_out_tongue:

Jbar - they can easily learn english in their own country first.