Federal Politics

Should Labor be discouraged by the latest poll which showed its support had dropped? LNP would have gained some voter support after helping secure the release of Hakeem Al-Araibi from Thailand last week. Having said that, I can’t believe some members of the public fell to the scaremongering speeches by PM Scott Morrison on the passage of medivac bill, and changed their support to LNP.

1 Like

The latest survey shows Labor’s primary vote has fallen from 37 to 33 per cent over two months, an unusually low result compared to other published polls. The Coalition’s primary vote rose from 36 to 38 per cent.

Yeah nah. Take this poll with a grain of salt

1 Like

I may have missed it, but has she admitted she was making a mockery of obesity or still sticking with out of context after mixing eggs and yoghurt?

Sometimes people stuff up, in days gone by we’d accept theit apology and move on.

End of the day, who knew the 2019 National Obesity Summit was taking place? Not this obese couch potato, so in a weird way, the minister has brought it to my and many others attention.

2 Likes

Roman Quaedvlieg has made some excellent contributions to Twitter since his departure from Border Force. He wrote a lengthy thread today regarding this.
https://twitter.com/quaedvliegs/status/1096933744340959232?s=19

2 Likes

No she hasn’t admitted it, just blamed a dodgy breakfast and “out of context”. Neither of which anyone is buying from what I can tell.

1 Like

Perhaps I’m too kind and forgiving at times.

I generally would be too but I guess this is just the straw that broke the camel’s back, so to speak. Too tired of seeing those in the highest positions of authority in this country treat their roles as some sort of ongoing joke. There’s no respect for their position and so often we see them abuse the privilege of their role time and time again.

I think Ms McKenzie also particularly irked me because of the ridiculous excuse to cover up her sloppy behaviour.

2 Likes

Oh lighten up.

She’s a skinny, fit, attractive conservative…

Most Australians are fat and ugly… do they deserve to be mocked? No.

But we shouldn’t get so sensitive about it when you are offended…

Life be in it. Norm is no hero mate.

I just want our politicians to conduct their positions with some level of decency, honesty and integrity. Something the current batch seem to be lacking. She is just the latest in a long line.

7 Likes

The politicians nearly have a camera in their face 24 hours a day and the media are always looking for something to catch them out to provoke a reaction from the public. A member could do something perfectly for 20 years and then have their career ended over one mistake these days.

It makes me wonder just how many good quality candidates we end up missing out on either because they have done a silly thing in their younger days which would get unnecessary scrutiny or because they do have a sense of humour and realise that it’s too risky a move for them. All the time these days everybody just wants everybody else sacked for the tiniest little thing and we’re all armchair experts over every single industry so we sure know when others aren’t doing their jobs right.

3 Likes

Hear hear! Agree 100%

Yes but in this case she is posing for a photo, hardly the same thing as being caught out by a sneaky cameraman across the room.

5 Likes

Or they could be absolutely inept and have a 20 year career. Plenty of them about too.

2 Likes
2 Likes

What annoys me about this is they’re joking about the increase in obesity (and consequential negative health impacts on Australians and health costs for society) instead of doing something to reduce it, such as accepting experts’ recommendations to implement a sugar tax, which would encourage pre-packaged & junk food manufacturers to reduce their products’ sugar content to avoid their products losing sales to lower-sugar alternative products from their competitors.

Of course no one should be surprised by their behaviour; this is the same government that laughed about rising sea levels lapping at the doorsteps of our island neighbours in the Pacific Ocean.

The only ones they seem to care about are their corporate donors.

3 Likes

Frankie , I too don’t give a shit about what she did. We have more pressing issues to worry about so I’ll give her a pass and before everyone has a go at me it has nothing to do with people being fat more like it’s jaur nonsense to get upset over a lapse of judgement :crazy_face:

Haha I could barely say that with a straight face.

I fundamentally disagree that this type of gaffe is a “lack of judgement”. What it actually is, is the person’s real instinct and feelings coming through! If a person needs to make a “judgement” about whether or not to mock people while being photographed at an event which is related to their area of responsibility then there is a problem with their character… not their judgement. An error of judgement is taking the wrong exit on a freeway. End of.

1 Like

Despite the antiquated IT system in law enforcement agencies, it is still irresponsible for the officer involved to have forgotten to write an email notifying the AFP and Department of Home Affairs. He or she should be disciplined.

Sorry mate but I totally disagree . If we are going to keep getting offended by everything they do then geez what’s the point of having politicians.

We will just going to have to agree to disagree on this one :slight_smile: no harm done

2 Likes

Yes agree to disagree.

It’s not that people are offended though. It’s more that people expect higher standards of behaviour and just “ability” in those roles.

1 Like