Federal Politics

Are they allowed to change the NSW election date? Never heard of that happening before. To be honest I cannot see if happening. Even if you can change the date it would create significant, unnecessary costs, to the NSW Electoral Commission and create logistical issues for the Australian one. Who would be paying for this? Tax payers. Is that the best way to start of your campaign? I think not. I just can’t see it happening. Can you post the link to these so called rumours because I cannot see any.

1 Like

The Laws governing elections in NSW do allow for the date to be shifted.

Antony Green explains it pretty well: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-04/federal-election-timing-and-how-to-move-the-dates-of-the-next-ns/9388908

3 Likes

I still stand by what I stated above.

It is also funny that these ‘rumours’ have come about when Scott Morrison stated only last week he had no intentions to call a March election and that they were planning to hand down the budget in April. Doesn’t really sound like the words of someone planning an election in March.

Currently commercial radio (in Queensland) is saturated with Federal Government adverts telling us how much money the Australian government is spending on infrastructure projects. These type of ads infuriate me as they serve no purpose except to promote the incumbent government as there is no community information provided. It’s a pity they didn’t say how much was being spent on the advertising campaign.

4 Likes

I wish they’d hurry the f##k up and just get the election over and done with.

At least NSW has the sense to set a date way in advance. There’s two words you don’t hear in a sentence all too often. :rofl:

2 Likes

Less than a week after Kelly O’Dwyer announced she was quitting politics due to family reasons, Federal Human Services Minister Michael Keenan has followed suit, announcing tonight he will not recontest his WA seat of Stirling at the next election.

1 Like

Good riddance! They should call an election as soon as possible to avoid further casualties, the more the train derail the bigger the mess they’ll have to clean up post election. And Gladys’ good government in NSW will be collateral damage come March.

1 Like

But could you imagine if they did call an election and suddenly more quit? That would be an even bigger disaster. At least this is giving them time to get their candidates together.

And another one going.

1 Like

And another one down. And another one down. Another one bites the dust.

1 Like

With all these Liberal MPs quitting politics, the words “rats deserting a sinking ship” come to mind!

There are many words I’d use to describe the Berejiklian government in NSW, good isn’t one of them.

1 Like

Interesting praxis with the Indigenous Affairs Minister announcing his retirement on Australia Day

1 Like

With no competition, they’ll have to be returned. The opposition have done zero other than play petty politics.

1 Like
1 Like

Typical. He’s probably shitting his bed right now.

Personally I hope that Labor wins this election. The Libs have had it for too long and didn’t live up to expectations.

Now before anyone says anything, I believe that both sides of politics aren’t too good. My hope of a labor win comes to the fact that I want to see someone new to lead the country. It would be better for Australia IMO.

2 Likes

See I just don’t agree with the views of the centre right and far right. That is why I would rather a labour government. I never understand the comment I want someone new. Workout what you believe in first. Then decide who you want to vote for.

And to be honest I never even vote for labour. I vote greens or when I was into SA did a strategic vote and voted for nick xenaphons team as labour had no shot in my electorate and I would rather see one less liberal seat.

Personally I’m hanging out for this election even more than the final season premiere of Game of Thrones.

Less blood will be spilled in GoT.

2 Likes

Yes I agree with this. People need to think about policy and what their particular views and interests are rather than just pick a party based on personalities or which way the wind is blowing.

I can never understand some of the rabid right wing “battler” supporters who clearly are better served by the left side of politics, for example. Clearly very easily hoodwinked.

I remember the same excitement in the beginning of 2007 with Kevin07 about to become our new leader then we couldn’t get rid of them quick enough because Tony Abbott was apparently the only one who could offer everything… now we’re back to not being able to get rid of them quick enough again.

Time has changed but nothing else really has so I wouldn’t get too excited. The change of government happens but not a lot else does.