Federal Politics

They think new scum is better than old scum.

Yeah, Tony Abbott sure worked out didn’t he.

Here in Tas, we couldn’t wait to get rid of Labor after so many years and then the Libs came in and a couple of months later we couldn’t wait to get rid of them… but they still somehow won another term. Even if Labor had won again, we’d still have the same messes.

Yeah I’m not that pessimistic actually. I think Labor has learned a lot from the Rudd/Gillard years. In time the Liberals will probably learn from the Abbott/Turnbull debacle.

I don’t think all is lost. I believe we’ll have a period of stability and progress under the next Labor government, at least by comparison. Time will tell.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think they have. There was early talk that Shorten was going to be dumped before the election but when the Libs had so much of their instability they could run anyone and they’ll get in.

I think most of them have, it’s just a couple who are slow learners. Hopefully they don’t return. If they can’t play nicely as a team, they shouldn’t be on the team.

Hope so.

2 Likes

How about progressive, fiscally responsible, efficient, productive or improvement (on the previous disgraced Labor administration that left the state in ruins with ageing, poor infrastructure and economic performance that lagged the nation)? Actually, the word ‘transformative’ is probably better than good and sums up everything.

Labor haven’t done the time for their crimes. They aren’t ready to govern and need more time on the Opposition benches before they ever get the opportunity to govern again. And I hope day in, day out the Coalition Government reminds voters just how bad the last Labor administration was. NSW cannot afford to go back to Labor.

2 Likes

Building the light rail for the past three years (and counting) sure has done that to this city. So have the renovations to Town Hall station also three years and still incomplete. And the air conditioning still doesn’t work.

2 Likes

Lock out laws also? Policies on drugs?

All shite.

2 Likes

You forget about the fact no government is flawless. And what about Wynyard? Redfern? More lifts? New trains? Rooty Hill? Express services to Bathurst? Sydney Metro built and opening mid this year? And then there’s the roads. Westconnex, Northconnex, highway upgrades everywhere. New stadiums, schools and hospitals going up from Lismore to Wagga, Mudgee, Tweed and beyond. Everyone across NSW is benefiting and while not flawless or perfect, the current government is on every key measure superior than the incompetent Labor administration it replaced.

2 Likes

At the risk of going off-topic…

Infrastructure in NSW has become a boom/bust cycle, which makes it extremely difficult to make meaningful improvement as so much time is taken resolving long-standing issues that adding-value is very late in the cycle - it also means that considerable shortcuts are taken to ‘prime the wheel’ so to speak and get things shovel-ready.

Then we end up in a situation where the government participate in asset recycling to pay for it

1 Like

Current Member for Chisholm, Julia Banks, will challenge Health Minister Greg Hunt at his Victorian seat of Flinders at the next federal election.

2 Likes

Hunt’s actually Health minister now, Melissa Price is now Environment minister.

1 Like

The right wing nut jobs are in a lather over this. Paul Murray is there bagging the hell out of this person. Calling her the suicide bomber. Such a disgraceful comment.

Paul Murray has been advocating for a return of tony Abbott to fight this election. And still denying that climate change is real.

1 Like

I was speaking to a senior labor front bench member last night at a fundraiser for a local branch and they said they think the government will hold out until may. when i asked if they could go off to yarralumba if they look like losing a vote the response was “it doesn’t feel like it will happen”

They will absolutely hold on as long as possible. The Government believes it is clawing back support in the polls and that if they can continue to launch Labor tax scare campaigns effectively, they could hold office. Aside from that, they have no hope.

I personally believe the polls have been indicating a 2-3% swing to Labor for several years, so this means a change of government is all but assured.

Most people aren’t retirees or even close to it so don’t care about Labor’s changes. Also most people don’t negatively gear and accept owning a first home is more of a priority for anyone rather than owning multiple. These are carefully calculated policy moves from Labor and I think the Coalition is flogging a dead horse. It may return some of their base to them (the people that have drifted after ScoMo took over etc.) but it won’t change enough swinging voters intentions to alter the election outcome. A likely majority Labor Government.

2 Likes

Now there is something I can agree with :kissing_heart:

I am a swinging voter. Can’t stand federal Liberals or NSW Labor.

Scott Morrison said a couple of days ago that the election will be in May.

I am sick of hearing all the speculation. A Shorten Labor Government should look at a referendum to amend the constitution to allow for fixed four year parliamentary terms, recognition of the First Australians and a clean up of any other irrelevant or out of date references in it. Time to get shit done.

6 Likes

Good luck getting the Australian public to agree to four year terms when some of our more recent Prime Ministers haven’t been able to last two…or even one! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

…clean up of any other irrelevant or out of date references in it.

Like removing references to the British monarch!

And fix s44 so school teachers don’t have to quit before running for parliament (but like in the USA, quit before taking up their new job).

Meanwhile, I had wondered if the same surname was just a coincidence (apparently not):
https://www.canberratimes.com.au/politics/federal/wilson-and-wilson-the-mp-the-fund-manager-and-the-franking-credits-inquiry-20190205-p50vqk.html

2 Likes