Federal Politics

Sky News agrees

The Sydney Morning Herald says the swing against the Coalition can be as high as 24%.
The hung parliament is back.

Bring on the election.

4 Likes

Yep, needs to be this side of Christmas I reckon.

Things are only going to keep going downhill from here so there’s no point waiting. Each week they wait is probably another 1-2% swing against them, better to just get it over with already.

2 Likes

The upcoming Victorian state election makes a federal election this year difficult.

1 Like

This explains it all.

Any possible Federal Election for this year probably should’ve been announced while Turnbull was still PM. The Victorian election pencilled in for November 24 made things difficult, but the spills towards the end of August all but cemented the fact there wouldn’t be a national poll before the end of 2018.

Yeah, I reckon they’ll probably go for either the 11th or 18th of May next year even if that means having to move the Federal Budget. Despite the ABC predicting Early March as another possibility, I think the NSW Liberals (who may struggle to retain once safe seats, if the Wagga by-election was anything to go by) will really want the air clear for the State Election.

1 Like

Your summation seems reasonable, as since the NSW election is on 23 March, a Federal election would have to be early in 2019 which would be unlikely, or after Gladys gets wiped out.

2 Likes

A light bulb moment on Twitter tonight with Jane Caro contemplating running as an independent against Tony Abbott in Warringah.

1 Like

That’s what I think too. And the longer he waits the more Morrison will be blamed for the outcome. If he goes earlier he can rightly blame the recent actions of Abbot and Co. He’s a fool if he waits.

Also if I was the NSW liberals I’d want the election out of the way before their state poll.

if anything last night cemented the fact they will go as late as possible.
they know it will be a blood bath and they will gamble another tampa or 9/11 happens to push people conservative. the only thing is that i see some spooked backbenchers out there now desperately wanting to call an election to save what furniture they can

3 Likes

I tend to agree. I doubt the crossbench would back Shorten to bring on an early election either.

2 Likes

Phelps’s claim of Victory in yesterday’s Wentworth by-election may be premature, as Dave Sharma is clawing his way back thanks to postal votes. As of today more than 5,000 postal votes are yet to be processed.
The Australian Electoral Commission had just announced a recount would be held this afternoon.

Getting interesting, less than 100 votes and there’s an automatic recount triggered but it’s been at around 900 votes but I heard somewhere that there are some votes which could have been put in the wrong piles last night and allocated to the wrong people which will need to be followed up on.

Latest Newspoll

The coalition will be dragging the poll date out as much as they can. Their safest seat was taken from them. They will be hoping for something tragic to get the right views back in voters minds.

Sorry to be a pedant, but Wentworth wasn’t their safest seat. That title goes to Mallee held by the Nat’s Andrew Broad. Bradfield is the safest Lib held seat.

1 Like

Thr seat of wentworth has been a liberal seat since 1935. The mallee seat is a national seat, its not even a liberal seat. It is part of the coaliton but not a liberal seat.

Yes but you did say coalition not Liberal, which is why he was being a pedant.

1 Like

Anyway here’s a hard hitting political story from the Daily Mail.