Federal Politics

If this were another country one would think the millitary would be needed to force Malcolm out of power :slight_smile:
Lucky for Malcolm that Canberra is such an isolated place and the Federal Police have no power within the Parliament.

does anyone know how long the process is by the high court is if/when Dutton is found ineligible to be a member? would he be sworn in by the GG at all

Depends, a vote in the hosue of reps would be needed for Dutton to be refered to the High COurt and from there is depends on how fast the High Court can sit through this and make a determination.

October Election.

1 Like

depends on if proposed PM Dutton (ouch that hurts to say) can get funding in place.

One thing for sure, Malcolm wont be donating any cash from his stash to support the party.

Bill Shorten must immediately send a letter demanding a stop to any swearing in and request a meeting with the Governor General regarding the eligibility of Peter Dutton to sit in Parliament.

It is very likely the Government is about to anoint a new Prime Minister who may not constitutionally be allowed to be in the building, let alone lead it.

2 Likes

It’s no longer 1975

The GG has no real power in these matters as he/she takes advice from the current PM, Shorten could appeal to the Queen (think about that for a moment) but even then according to the Australian Act (1986) the Queen holds no power either and takes the advice from GG who takes advice from the PM.

If this were another country then Shorten could potentially get the Military involved (not the AFP as they have no power within Parliament) and force a coupe de gra (bad spelling) but yeah that won’t happen.

The only other way is up to the people to protest and force change.

That wont happen either, again Canberra is isolated and would be hard to get into en mass.

Labor Party trying to get the house to vote on Dutton being refereed to the High Court.

vote: 69 libs / lab 68

Dutton survives for now as does the Turnbull and his government.

I fully expect Labor to try again should Dutton be voted in as PM.

But the numbers may change in Labors favor.

1 Like

The Governor General should just dissolve parliament and establish a caretaker government. This is just getting ridiculous

4 Likes

Very sad day for Australia. The Liberal Party feels like it has no choice but to resort to a leader who may not even be eligible to sit in parliament. A leader who would not be present when the First Australians were apologised to. A leader who resorts to race baiting and dog whistle politics to win votes.

It will be political suicide. Most Australians are not One Nation voters. Someone once said you win elections from the middle, not the fringes. Time will tell and I can see why the brains trust inside the Liberal Party think Dutton is a good idea. The difference between Australia and Trump America is we have compulsory voting. They don’t.

1 Like

I agree. How can Turnbull not see that calling an election is his ONLY option now if he wants to salvage any credibility or legacy?

It also highlights the flaws in our constitutional monarchy. I mean if the GG doesn’t step in on a day like this then what is the point of the role? What use is it?

1 Like

that would be the ultimate KABOOM (and in explosive) to the party as they cant mount an effective election campaign.

indeed this sucks shit.

But he has no power as he/she takes advice from the PM.

The only other thing Malcolm could do is have Dutton arrested for treason (yes I know wild speculation) via the military :slight_smile:

That won’t happen though as he voted not to refer Dutton to the High Court for possible breach of Section 44.

Duttons wife on a plan to Canberra right now.

Reports are that Morrison is set to run and has the numbers to force a 3 way contest.

Sky reporting Scott Morrison will run in a potential leadership ballot and Turnbull may stand aside for him

Same on Seven

1 Like

Yep, looks like Malcolm was taking time ti help Morrison to get the numbers and run.

Danger averted for the time being.

remeber what I said earlier in the week, look to those who are the quiet ones during these issues.

PM MOrrison?

Those in Cronulla would be happy with that, I won’t but its better than Dutton.

Bishop under pressure to stand

1 Like

Lets not forget Morrison has no friends at 2GB or News Corp, don’t know about Sky News.

Just keep that in mind.

She won’t do it. Julie Bishop will not run an election she is going to lose. She might become opposition leader if Liberals lose the next election.

Well, looks like I’m half-right

1 Like

Morrison will carry all of Turnbulls cor votes + bring back a few Duttons numbers, reports are it will be 43/42 for Morrison but with a balls up as Greg Hunt to take Treasury spot as a compromise to appease the hard right…

Ok new reports are that Malcolm will hold a media conference at midday to announce he is stepping down as PM and that a party room meeting will be held at as soon as he finishes the media conference.

Is Scott Morrision really marketable to be the next electable PM?

2 Likes

He has a better chance than Dutton but I suspect he would still lose.

1 Like