Federal Politics

He will still be receiving the pay of a senator into 2018, with it being said Dastyari needs time to wrap up some electorate business and NSW Labor stating they will not be in a position to choose a replacement until after Christmas. Some members and senators caught up in the citizenship fiasco quit parliament within a day of announcing their decision. Why does it take Dastyari so long?

The High Court were expected to announce (confirm) the two new Senators for Tasmania today but have deferred until the end of January.

Former Tourism Minister, Richard Colbeck, was due to be allowed to replace Stephen Parry for the Liberal Party and Devonport Mayor, Steve Martin, was due to hear whether he would be eligible or not to replace Jacqui Lambie so it looks like things will continue into the new year. I heard Steve Martin on the radio a week or two back, if he’s allowed to go to the Senate and it’s occurs prior to March then voters in Devonport will have to have elections but if it’s after that date then it is only 6 months until the scheduled elections anyway so the Deputy would assume the role for the last few months.
It’s expected that Braddon MP Justine Keay will be referred to the High Court around February too when Parliament resumes and with the State Election in March, Devonport will have a lot of elections!

Kristina Keneally going crazy with the signs and balloons.

1 Like

Very similar to what happened 10 years ago…

1 Like

Anyone interested in Australian political history I think would be most interested in this Twitter account, retracing the days and events around the disappearance of Prime Minister Harold Holt, which happened 50 years ago this year.

https://twitter.com/HaroldHolt67

In just a few days it has reached 1000+ followers.

1 Like

Reading about his dalliances is intriguing, and the Melbourne girlfriend was there when he went missing. Zara knew, as did all the press it appears, but it was all hushed up.

Barnaby Joyce getting a lot of flack from his own party for dumping Darren Chester. And it looks like the Barnaby story the media has been keeping a lid on is about to blow.

I’m surprised it took so long. Everyone has been talking about it online yet the major papers and legacy outlets were quiet during his by-election.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/painful-price-of-welfare-costs-revealed-by-federal-treasury/news-story/0a7dad20a726ee7b10bf61d33b47f47a

Not sure why the government is playing this game into shaming welfare recipients but typically the media just regurgitates it without question. And of course among them is the Daily Telegraph whose owner pays delightfully little tax at all.

I’d much prefer a portion of my taxes go towards helping those who need it… and not doing things like paying for MPs to attend weddings, buying investment properties on “official business” and chartering helicopter rides to go to Liberal party fundraisers.

I’d also prefer not to have my taxes go towards paying for $130 million licence fee rebates to the commercial networks or $30m to Foxtel for no apparent reason other than to give the minister a new set of cufflinks.

And so what is the government doing about alleviating this so-called burden on workers… they’re certainly not doing anything to tax the big end of town…

Rant over.

6 Likes

A bit late to reply, but also a major point is that almost half of the welfare spend goes toward the aged pension, for people who have been paying into the system their entire lives. This whole idea that welfare is some gigantic rort for the younger generations needs to end - the system is fair and overwhelmingly rewards those who have contributed their entire lives in the form of income tax and GST.

Once again commercial media has completely abdicated its role as a responsible contributor to the national discussion, favouring instead cheap sensationalised headline stories with little to no substance.

3 Likes

Disappointing that SBS even ran with the story. The race for clicks seems to override actual journalism.

2 Likes

Don’t remember this happening before.

1 Like

Cheryl Kernot resigned as Democrat Senator to run as a Labor MHR.

Billy Hughes was a Labor PM and Liberal Attorney General, was in more parties than a desparate housewife.

Julian McGuaran went from Nats to Libs as a Victorian senator. Even though they’re in coalition, they’re two parties and often don’t get on. Brother Peter remained a National.

Ian MacFarlane wanted to leave the Liberals and join the Nats but was blocked by the LNP executive in Queensland.

Just a few that spring to mind.

1 Like

As you say, the last two don’t really count.

I should have remembered Cheryl Kernot but I’m not 150 years old, to be able to remember Billy Hughes. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Well yes, despite feeling it at times I must’ve read about that one.

In case you have missed, David Feeney yesterday resigned as Federal MP for Batman after he failed to produce paperwork that he had renounced his British citizenship before he was elected to parliament. ACTU president Ged Kearney will be the Labor candidate in the upcoming by-election.
This dual citizenship fiasco has claimed too many victims and needs to stop. Surely there must be a review into section 44 of the Australian Constitution. Can it be revised or repealed altogether?

It hasn’t claimed any victims… They broke the rules.

It can but it would have to be done with the vote of the Australian people.

1 Like

I look forward to the referendum on section 44 and I will definitely vote yes, if the question asks whether it should be revised or repealed.

strong text who will be the next crossbench senator Malcolm Turnbull will advise to join the Liberal Party?

1 Like