Federal Politics

Former Federal Treasurer Wayne Swan will bow out of politics at the next election. Some Labor colleagues had wanted him to retire to make room for fresh blood.

Very strange. Iā€™d heard about it back then but it seemed nobody, least of all his constituency cared. Which I think says more about why the Daily Telegraph brought it to a head this week. Is it these latest revelations of a cover up that are the story rather than the affair and forthcoming sprog?

To be honest I hope nothing happens. Its so common that people find love in the workforce. So who really cares. Yeah it was hypocritical of him but in this day this sort of issue should be irrelevant.

The family says it didnā€™t happen

One such rumour that persists was that was one of Mr Joyceā€™s daughters was driving down Peel St in a car with ā€œBarnaby Joyceā€ branding, yelling at people not to vote for him through a megaphone. I sat down with the family yesterday. They have told me it did not happen.

2 Likes

I think the fact that the information was suppressed by the media while the by-election was going is the most outrageous part of this scandal. And from what I can tell, the Telegraph didnā€™t have much more solid information about it when it went to print than when the rumors were circulating.

Iā€™d want to see Media Watch take this one on.

1 Like

It wasnt suppressed. It was a rumour and they had no facts. They had a lot more information they had a photo of her pregnant etc.

Its looking less and less likely that it actually occurred - not much goes on in Tamworth without people noticing and the lack of first-hand accounts on this one is a good indication that its not as originally described

2 Likes

Fair enough, wasnā€™t aware that had been disputed.

as far as im aware, only the Tamworth paper has disputed it happening

What newspapers have alleged it happened?

Most coverage Iā€™ve read has made reference to it at some point - the first reporting that Iā€™m aware of was from IA - https://independentaustralia.net/politics/politics-display/exclusive-barnaby-joyce-peeling-back-the-rumours,10942

1 Like

In this day and age surely somebody was filming it?

That adds to the doubt Iā€™ve got about the event

Tamworth tho

/inner city snark

Itā€™s untenable. Heā€™s got to go. The citizenship thing didnā€™t get rid of him but now maybe this will bring about the downfall of this pig. What an atrocious human.

4 Likes

I know that part of the world is very loyal towards the Nationals politically, but can someone explain to me what the people of New England see in a politician like Barnaby Joyce?

1 Like

Insiders on ABC this morning was basically hinting that heā€™s gone, or at least thereā€™s more to come. Itā€™s possible we could lose our Deputy Prime Minister.

Disastrous start to the year.

I dont like he but he wonā€™t go and shouldnā€™t.

Miranda Devine wrote today in the Daily Telegraph that Barnabyā€™s wife called his mistress a homewrecker in Tamworth. I havenā€™t seen much about the daughter.

He is the nationals candidateā€¦ Beyond that, I donā€™t know - you do need to be popular in and around Tamworth though (close to half of the electorate live in Tamworth) and you donā€™t get much more ā€œNationals Heartlandā€ then in and around the Country Music Capital

1 Like