Federal Election 2019 - Media Coverage

Federal elections are when networks launch their new graphics package so that all the state elections can all be tied together. Nine is no different.

It won’t look like the by-election either because they want to distinguish between them.

1 Like

Yeah, but NSW is the largest of the states and Nine’s coverage on March 23 was presented from Studio 22 (as I suspect, the Federal Election will be on Saturday night) rather than from the local news set as they’ve done elsewhere.

Still seemed like a waste for Nine to produce updated graphics for the October by-election only to reuse a modified version of the 2016 Federal Election graphics package for Victoria & NSW though.

Anyway, I really hope there’ll be an impressive new look from Nine on Saturday night. Some new theme music would be great too but I can’t see (or more to the point, hear) that happening.

1 Like

Except the most important election broadcaster, the ABC, premiered their new graphics in November last year for the Victorian election.

3 Likes

They did? Thought they were the same as the 2016 package, or is my memory failing me?

From what I can tell, the ABC launched a brand new On-Air Presentation package for their election coverage with Victoria 2018. This was also used for the NSW Election coverage in March and presumably, will be used again for the Federal Election coverage on Saturday night.

Prior to that, the ABC’s election graphics remained unchanged for several years with only the font being changed to the current “oneABC” typeface for the post-2017 ABC News rebrand state elections (Queensland 2017, SA & Tasmania 2018) that happened before Victoria 2018.

2 Likes

Just had a quick look at the Victoria State Election - November 2018 thread and you’re spot on.

2 Likes

Now with 4pm start according to latest promo seen in Brisbane. However as posted above AFL in Brisbane currently in the EPG until 5pm :thinking:

3 Likes

Here’s a slightly longer version of 10’s promo:

No surprise. Fordham is joining in with far-right-wing nincompoop Michael Smith to drag up rape allegations against Bill Shorten - allegations that were investigated by the Victoria Police who then dropped the case due to a lack of evidence.

https://twitter.com/mpsmithnews/status/1128541242651029509?s=19

While that might be attractive to Sydney viewers, Peter Overton isn’t that well known especially interstate so I don’t think Nine will do as well in other markets.

4 Likes

Will look fantastic now, but can guaretee it will be drowned out with the ABC’s history of shitty set lighting.

2 Likes

A mega wall on Seven news Election will be ideal to see how many votes are there. The use of mega wall will track down the numbers of seats available during election.

2 Likes

This bloke is a psychopath… conspiracy theories abound with him. He’s nuts.

Ofc Ben Fordham will be at liberal HQ… suits his views.

Currently airing on ABC TV is a Labor party ‘announcement.’
Turns out that political parties can air ads on the ABC during an election campaign.

I never knew about this before, how about everyone else?

Yes, as media watch reported, it’s happened for decades.

Political party policy speeches and ads have been shown on the ABC forever.

2 Likes

Also heard on ABC radio. It’s probably time to review that policy, but it’s something about the ABC all parties would agree on!

1 Like

I suppose I wasn’t taking as much interest in those little things at the last federal election.

Anyway, it’s one of those legacy things, like broadcast of parliamentary proceedings on analogue radio, that the ABC hasn’t shaken yet. You wonder if it will ever get changed.

While parliamentary proceedings are often incredibly boring and (especially given the current political climate) depressing stuff to listen to/watch, I don’t have a major problem with the broadcasts of parliament on ABC radio & TV. In lieu of having at least House of Reps/Senate channels on all TV & radio platforms, those broadcasts are a far longer snapshot of our democracy than we’d ever get from the short soundbites which air on the evening news, etc.

I definitely agree that the practice of political party policy speeches/broadcasts on the ABC are incredibly archaic given that the parties spend heaps on advertising across the commercial media. But like applying the truth in advertising rules to political ads, it’ll probably never happen even if it’s something which consumers would probably be in favour of.

We can already get full recordings and live streaming of parliamentary proceedings through the Parlview website.

1 Like