Federal Election 2019 - Media Coverage

Also heard on ABC radio. It’s probably time to review that policy, but it’s something about the ABC all parties would agree on!

1 Like

I suppose I wasn’t taking as much interest in those little things at the last federal election.

Anyway, it’s one of those legacy things, like broadcast of parliamentary proceedings on analogue radio, that the ABC hasn’t shaken yet. You wonder if it will ever get changed.

While parliamentary proceedings are often incredibly boring and (especially given the current political climate) depressing stuff to listen to/watch, I don’t have a major problem with the broadcasts of parliament on ABC radio & TV. In lieu of having at least House of Reps/Senate channels on all TV & radio platforms, those broadcasts are a far longer snapshot of our democracy than we’d ever get from the short soundbites which air on the evening news, etc.

I definitely agree that the practice of political party policy speeches/broadcasts on the ABC are incredibly archaic given that the parties spend heaps on advertising across the commercial media. But like applying the truth in advertising rules to political ads, it’ll probably never happen even if it’s something which consumers would probably be in favour of.

We can already get full recordings and live streaming of parliamentary proceedings through the Parlview website.

1 Like

Thursday - 7.30 on ABC

Leigh Sales interviews Scott Morrison and Bill Shorten.
Separate one on one interviews with Leigh.

2 Likes

I was imagining Julia at Home pointing at the television and shouting “Blue tie”.

1 Like

I’d support an ‘ABC Parliament’ iview only channel that broadcasts federal and state parliaments similar to BBC Parliament. They would only need to access the internal broadcast systems already in place at federal and state parliament houses.

3 Likes

We had APAC but News Corp ruined it with Sky News repeats.

3 Likes

Digital 44 in Sydney had live broadcasts of the House and Senate. But ACMA axed the long-running test broadcasts.

1 Like

Exactly right, you can’t trust a commercial broadcaster to provide a public service.

1 Like

Sky after Dark is atrocious. Every night that I’ve dipped in they are just attacking labor constantly. Over and over again. They are doing their absolute best to be the cheer squad for the liberals. They hypocrisy. They complain that other media outlets are lefties yet here they are on the extreme right with Hanson on and Rowan dean and then all that Murray does is attack shorten with not one mention of any of the flaws of Morrison. It’s toxicity at its finest. Luckily they have such a small audience.

3 Likes

Out of all the networks - Sky, ABC, 7,9 & 10, which network does anyone think will have the most even unbiased coverage, because I think Sky News coverage might be anti-labor, especially with Paul Murray & Chris Kenny on board.

Snapshots from promos Nine is currently running for their coverage:

I’d probably expect the ABC (and SBS for their bits) to have the most even/unbiased coverage, while Nine & Ten’s coverage will probably be generally good.

Sky News’ coverage I’m obviously expecting to be biased towards the right (Could be entertaining to watch if Labor win! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:), while it’s possible that Seven may also have coverage with a right-wing skew remembering their recent attempts at state election coverage.

3 Likes

I would expect SBS to have the most boring coverage, just the same as their 6:30pm news.

1 Like

Nine are promoting their coverage on some rather large digital billboards around Brisbane at the moment.

1 Like

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/national/pauline-hanson-attacks-deb-knight-over-ratings/video/c23dea45e5e0495559db0e5bfd1afd22

How dare a journalist ask Pauline a question about the polls. She is completely unhinged. I do not know what the ratings of Today has to do with the election. Pauline feels she is getting picked on. Harden up and stop playing the victim.

5 Likes

A typical response from Pauline- when you are down, drag everybody else down with you.

Full video of question, answer and response (courtesy of @blackbox ):

As the leader of the party, Pauline is chiefly responsible for policies and the reputation of One Nation. It is unfair to atttibute Deb’s promotion as the only or main reason for Today’s fall in ratings.

6 Likes

7’s election coverage will only be in SD in Perth thanks to the 7mateHD for the AFL Essendon vs Freo match on the same night.

5 Likes

To be fair though, if you had no knowledge about the media and what influences ratings it would appear to ordinary Australians that soon as she came and Karl left they went down. But I’ll save that for another discussion.