Federal Election 2019 - Media Coverage

With the election to be announced in days, here’s where we can discuss media coverage of the 2019 Federal Election. PM Scott Morrison expects to call an election for the House of Representatives and half the senate for either 11 or 18 May.

2 Likes

I expect at least two debates between Scott Morrison and Bill Shorten during the campaign period, one for FTA and one for Sky News (People’s Forum). Depending on when the FTA debate is held, I think shows like House Rules and MasterChef may have to make way for the debate.

1 Like

They’ll be a Sky News People’s forum and the traditional prime time national TV debate screened in all TV networks. Third debate will be on social media

Wonder if it’s bumped to multichannels

The FTA debate for 2013 and 2016 were both on multi channels (GEM & 7Two). Personally, they didn’t even deserve to be televised given how stupid the rules were (that both parties agreed to) of no rebuttles, no interjecting - nothing. Just one candidate remember the script, then the other read their script.

They really should take a leaf out of the US Elections. 3 debates, 3 different formats, 4 different moderators.

I hope they don’t have the same rules as previous debates and if so, screen it on the main channel. If it’s the only thing on, and on a Sunday night, lots of people do watch. Also good to see the worm in action.

I can’t remember the networks even taking the Press Club debate in 2016. Just the ABC and Sky took it. There was also a Sky Forum and a news.com.au Facebook debate with Joe Hildebrand hosting.

I think people are pretty over them to be honest, doesn’t help when only the big two parties are involved. It might be more lively if they got the minor parties in.

Nine in 2007 had that infamous “worm” graphic

1 Like

When was the last time Ten screened an election debate? Why would they bother this election?

2 Likes

Jesus.

Come on man!

2 Likes

He’s never made that claim.

1 Like

Here is a promo for Channel Sevens coverage of ‘The Great Debate’ in 2010.

2 Likes

In 2013 and it was screened over on One.

1 Like

That 2016 debate was probably the worst political setpiece event I’ve ever watched - it was an hour where essentially nothing of significance was said.

The organization of debates (eg; how many there’ll be, who’ll moderate them, format, etc) should be done before the campaign begins. One thing that drives me mad about how elections run in Australia is how there’s always the back-and-forth negotiations during the campaign about debates.

2 Likes

Locked until the election is called, all the posts so far are speculation / looking back on previous coverage.

4 Likes

2 Likes

1 Like

3 Likes

Great to see 10 breaking into programming too.

3 Likes

Sunrise LIVE right across the country.

2 Likes