Federal Election 2016 Media Coverage

If TEN are doing any special programming from the news department like they did last year, I wish they would promote it! They’ll never make any inroads with their news services by hoping people will turn their tv’s on and discover that they bothered to do something.

4 Likes

IIRC The Election Project ratings were a complete disaster. There’s no way Ten will bring that back

Ten should stick to movies rpts

They could use Ten News rather then The Project. They need someone more credible then The Project team

It’s a waste of time and money. Ten aren’t traditionally known for Election coverage. even during the glory days of 2000-2010 they usually showed movies

As Seven has also done some years. Election coverage has not always been popular - perhaps it was too boring.

2 Likes

According to the information that I can gather…

On Federal Election Night 2004 (which was October 9 for those playing along at home), Seven showed Toy Story 2 and Die Hard 2 with only a brief “Vote 2004” update between the two movies and a 30 minute special late at night. That night, Ten showed two episodes of Monk, the movie The Mummy Returns followed by a special “Election '04” edition of Ten Late News. SBS appeared to run normal programing apart from the addition of World News Tonight at 9.30pm (it didn’t run on weekends in those days, did it?), while Nine and the ABC of course had extensive coverage throughout the night.

I’m pretty sure that since then, Seven has run Nine/ABC-style extensive “Your Call” branded coverage for Elections 2007, 2010 and 2013. I think that SBS has usually run updates + a late bulletin for the last few elections. Ten ran “The Election Project” in 2010 and 2013. Not quite sure what Ten did in 2007 but I’m pretty sure that they would’ve at least had updates and a late night bulletin.

Any corrections or additional information (especially for Election 2001 and earlier) would be much appreciated of course! :slightly_smiling:

Saturday November 10 2001

Seven News – Saturday Seven 1,360,000
Movie: The Rugrats Movie Ten 1,353,000
National Nine News – Saturday Nine 1,252,000
Movie: Twins Ten 1,171,000
Election 2001 Nine 1,164,000
The Simpsons Ten 727,000
The Nation Dumps Seven 723,000

5 Likes

Ten would kill for those ratings right now. Sadly the networks have killed Saturdays.

Maybe the networks should ask government to hold elections on Sundays :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Saturday October 9 2004

National Nine News – Saturday Nine 1,378,000
Movie: Toy Story 2 Seven 1,309,000
Seven News – Saturday Seven 1,067,000
Ten News – Saturday Ten 965,000
Election 2004 Nine 954,000
Seven News – Election Update 1 Seven 941,000
Movie: Die Hard 2 Seven 798,000
Federal Election 2004 ABC 793,000
Movie: The Mummy Returns Ten 786,000
Monk (Double Episode) Ten 771,000
Sport Tonight Ten 748,000

This was the first time that ABC’s election coverage rated AFAIK

4 Likes

##sky News Election Channel

Foxtel will lauch a stand-alone election channel to provide coverage across the Australian and US ­election campaign trails commencing 1 May.

The Australian reports
:

Sky News Election Channel will broadcast rolling coverage of news conferences, policy announcements and other events in the lead-up to the two elections. The channel will also cover the British referendum on June 23 as the nation decides whether to remain a member of the European Union.

Launching on May 1, the channel will roll out in time to cover Barack Obama’s last speech at the annual White House Correspondents’ Association dinner. Australian News Channel boss Angelos Frangopoulos said the channel would launch at a “pivotal time on the local and international political landscape”.

sounds a lot like APAC

APAC-2

My god that was so cringeworthy.

1 Like

Announcement following The Checkout tonight has The Chaser’s Election Desk scheduled from Wednesday 8 June at 8pm.

Each night that will be followed by Shaun Micallef.

2 Likes

Jennifer Keyte has just announced there will be a special Seven News bulletin tomorrow from 12.30pm to 2.30pm AEST on 7mate (of all places), covering the official launch of the election campaign.

Ok ill ask, why?

This sort of stuff worries me - it could be a long 8 or so weeks

1 Like

https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/728859159408467968

Chris Reason is hosting sevens coverage.

1 Like

Not sure when it started but Peter Overton presented coverage on Nine until 1:30pm AEST of Turnbull visiting the GG and going back to Parliament House. He did say they will break into programming again to show Turnbull’s press conference which will launch the election campaign

I’m pretty sure that Nine’s coverage ran for about 40 minutes or so (breaking into programing mid-way through a live cross on The Sunday Footy Show here in Sydney) before returning to normal programing, most likely due to coverage of the Residents Shield rugby league game that’s airing in NSW and QLD.

1 Like