Federal Election 2016 Media Coverage

Sky News has run advert free since Turnbull was at the GG’s house. Hosted by Kieran Gilbert.

Why don’t you tweet him?

3 Likes

Coverage for Double Dissolution Election on July 2 concluded at

Seven: Coverage finished at 2.52pm with Reaso promoted highlights in the 5pm News and a full-wrap at 6.
Nine: Coverage hosted by Peter Overton from the newsroom and Laurie Oakes in Canberra finished at 2.49pm to resume “normal programming”

Some caps of Nine’s coverage, including the Malcolm Turnbull press conference:

1 Like

1 Like

The three-plasma background looks really nice and elegant considering we’re talking about election graphics :laughing:

Seven

###Vote Compass is Back for Election 2016

Exclusive to the ABC, Vote Compass is back for the 2016 Federal Election.

Vote Compass is a unique and interactive way for Australians to explore policy issues and see how their views compare to those of the major political parties in this election.

The online tool was first launched in the 2013 Federal Election and had more than 1.3 million responses, making it the largest survey of voter attitudes ever undertaken in the country. Since then, the ABC has also run Vote Compass for state elections in NSW, Queensland and Victoria.

Technically described as an ‘interactive electoral literacy application’, Vote Compass is an online survey that asks questions and has statements about policy issues, asking respondents to choose on a scale of strongly agree to strongly disagree.

Once the survey is completed, Vote Compass provides users with an automatic assessment and personalised online grid displaying how their views on policies weigh up against Labor, the Liberal-National Party and The Greens.

“I would encourage people to use Vote Compass, as it really does help you get a clearer picture about your own thinking on current issues for this election, and how that compares to the policies of the major political parties,” said ABC Election Analyst Antony Green.

“This tool doesn’t tell you how to vote, but it does provide a unique summary to see where you agree and disagree with the parties. The data collected then provides the ABC with information and analysis on the overall views of Australian voters, rather than relying on the traditional opinion polls.”

Vote Compass is a collaboration between the ABC and the application’s developer, Vox Pop Labs, a Canadian social enterprise made up of social researchers and data scientists. The University of Melbourne is the ABC’s academic partner, assisting with the research and providing expert analysis of the data.

Go to abc.net.au/votecompass and find out where you stand.

Vote Compass FAQS here.

I can really see this 6-week election campaign turning viewers off the nightly news bulletins. If every night for the next 50+ days the first series of stories is about election campaigning … :rolling_eyes:

53 days to go :sleeping:

2 Likes

I agree that it’s likely that the current election campaign is likely to turn off some viewers from the news bulletins and possibly TV in general with election ads already airing.

Although we should be very thankful that at least our election campaigns aren’t as long as the year+ ones they get in the United States!

Does anyone expect any televised debate between Turnbull and Shorten? If so, how many will be held and on what night? I think there will be two debates and will be held on either Monday or Wednesday night.

Don’t Nine usually broadcast a debate with the two main party leaders on a Sunday night a few weeks or so before the Federal Election? I’m sure they used to do something like that anyway…

1 Like

I think Sunday nights may have been reserved for The Voice live shows. If any debate is held on Sunday then the live show will have to be pushed back to later in the night.

Sky News announced tonight it’s holding a ‘People’s Forum’ with Turnbull & Shorten in Windsor, NSW this Friday at 6pm AEST

Don’t all networks televise it. I know Ten and 7 did. Of course naturally ABC and Sky

1 Like

I don’t like these people’s forums that sky seemed to be obsessed with. They do them all the time …usually attracting the great unwashed as participants.

According to TV guides, there will be a Regional Leaders Debate next Wednesday night (May 25) at Goulburn High School in NSW, hosted by Chris Uhlmann. Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce, Labor MP Joel Fitzgibbon and Greens Leader Richard Di Natale are the participants. It will air live on ABC News 24 from 7.30pm to 8.30pm AEST.

This was in The Daily Telegraph. :astonished:

Immigration Minister Peter Dutton’s double header
THE Liberal Party just can’t help itself. It doesn’t matter who leads the Liberals, come election time this party can’t help itself. One way or another, they steer the debate to boats and refugees.

The Daily Telegraph
Digitally altered image.

I love the caption. Just in case you didn’t know. :laughing:

I’d expect a national debate on the weekend of May 28-29.

Good luck with the following :slight_smile: This letter has come from the Australian Press Council advising editors of best practice during the election campaign.

###Reminder about APC Guideline on reporting elections

At the behest of the Australian Press Council, the Chair, Professor David Weisbrot, has written to the editors of the approximately 900 member mastheads, print and online, reminding them of the Council’s longstanding guideline on the responsible reporting of elections. A copy of the letter is set out in full below:

As the federal election period has now commenced, the Council has asked me to write to the editors of all member publications to draw to your attention the Council’s Advisory Guideline on Reporting Elections. The guideline was approved by the Council in March 2009 and revised in February 2012. In particular, may I draw to your attention the opening section of the guideline:

"The Council upholds the right of a newspaper to have its own political position; to accept certain beliefs and policies and to reject others; and to favour the election of one party and to oppose the election of another. However, the Council has emphasised strongly that newspapers that profess to inform the community about its political and social affairs are under an obligation to present to the public a reasonably comprehensive and accurate account of public issues.

“As a result, the Council believes that it is essential that a clear distinction be drawn between reporting the facts and stating opinion. A paper’s editorial viewpoints and its advocacy of them must be kept separate from its news columns.”

The full text of the guideline, which may be found at http://www.presscouncil.org.au/advisory-guidelines/reporting elections, also contains advice about: (a) avoiding unfairness and lack of balance in the context of election coverage; (b) policies on publication of letters; and (c) advising readers about the existence of any election-related policies, such as the non-publication of letters from candidates.

The Council is strongly committed to learning from the complaints experience and feeding back to our membership any information that may be valuable in understanding readers’ concerns, lifting our standards of practice, and identifying areas in which we could develop education and training programs. Not surprisingly, elections are polarising affairs, and sensitivities are greatly heightened. The Council typically experiences a spike in complaints around the time of federal, state and local elections, usually in relation to allegations of factual inaccuracy, unfairness and lack of balance.

A complaint does not necessarily indicate poor practice; for example, the most widely-complained about item during the 2013 federal election campaign involved a vigorous front-page editorial, which the Council determined did not breach its principles since it was clearly identifiable as editorial opinion rather than news coverage. In many Adjudications over time, the Council has strongly affirmed the right of newspapers to comment, albeit as fairly as possible, on election issues and candidates, including their chances of success.

However, editors should be alert to the matters that most commonly trigger complaints, such as allegations about:
• news coverage that is unfairly heavily weighted to one candidate or party;
• the skewed selection or unsympathetic editing of letters to the editor; and especially
• contentious material published very close to election day, effectively depriving a candidate or party of the opportunity to seek a correction or clarification, or to achieve the required overall balance.

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Yours sincerely
Professor David Weisbrot AM
Chair, Australian Press Council